Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 14,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc24 View Post
Hi all,

My first time posting. My wife and I currently live in Manhattan and are considering buying in Port Washington. Our price range is $700-$850. Before reading any of the threads on here, our thinking was:

(1) we need to be within walking distance of the LIRR
(2) we want to be near the water

Those two things seemed to more or less coincide (as the public dock is not too far from the LIRR), so I thought we were all set. But having read some threads here, I am having some serious reservations, mostly because I hadn't considered the elementary school issue. We have an infant (and hope to continue to grow our family), so elementary schools are a major concern. Is the elementary school near the LIRR area a good one?

Even beyond the issue of the elementary schools, the idea of a massive influx of illegals and gangs is downright scary. I am overreacting or is the problem that bad? I had no idea about any of this.

Last summer, we looked briefly at PW, but also Manhasset and Great Neck. My wife is not too keen on the idea of moving to LI in general, but PW is particularly appealing to her because of the proximity to the water and overall charm of Main Street. We want proximity to water, easy commute to NYC and good schools. Any thoughts on what we should do?

Thanks!
Hi there!! I wrote already something about my opinion on all this bad postings about PW. My husband have lived here his whole life. Then after he finished school and we got married we moved back. We are also a young couple with young children. My older goes to elementary school. The school system here is great - I could not ask for more. Also, the town is very safe and quiet, summer here is wonderful - I don't know where these people are coming from with all these bad things about Port... In your price range you can sure get something uptown or lower Main Street. Actually , take a look on the Prudential website - I think there is a very nice colonial (brand new construction) steps from the town dock. And I believe the elementary for those who live in that area is Phillip Sousa - one of the best of Port. The parents get very involved. About immigrants... yes there is a signifcant population of immigrants here in Port, but you will see - they are our nannies, babysitters, the guy who will clean your garden...people that are here to work (which is good!!). You will love Port if you move here. Great Neck is a little stiff...but ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City

Quote:
Originally Posted by babr1999 View Post
... easy access to big mall like Roosevelt Mall in Westbury ...

The Roosevelt Field Mall is not in "Westbury"; it's in the part of the Hamlet of East Garden City that has a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address:

Just like the Hamlet of Port Washington (2,732 acres), where the same-named ZIP Code postal zone, "Port Washington, NY 11050", is much larger (6,652 acres) than the community whose name it "shares" and the majority of places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington, the Village of Westbury suffers the same fate, as the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone (4,302 acres) is about 3X the size of the Village of Westbury (1,511 acres).

For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City:

East Garden City is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow; on the south by the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Village of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead and the Village of Garden City.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/East-garden-city-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Garden City have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Westbury, NY 11590", "Uniondale, NY 11553" and "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address.

Here are some well-known places that are in the Hamlet of East Garden City:

Cradle of Aviation Museum, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Fortunoff, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Hofstra University Dorms, East Garden City (Hempstead P.O.)
Mall at The Source, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Nassau County Community College, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Nassau County Veterans Memorial Coliseum, East Garden City (Uniondale P.O.)
Roosevelt Field, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,668 times
Default Things to be aware of in Port Washington

When you go house hunting, look for abandoned shopping carts, large amounts of trash on garbage pick-up day, many cars parked out on street, screen doors left in the open position, and ice cream trucks vending in front of certain homes. This should act as tip off for illegal home - stay away from these areas. We are life long residents and are actively looking to move out of Port Washington.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:11 PM

62 posts, read 239,444 times
That would be mostly Manorhaven, I guess, and maybe Manhasset Isle? Totally not my idea of great neighborhoods. Especially if you're moving from one of the boroughs (and even more, if you grew up in one of them), you definitely will be turned off (I know I was).

I didn't finally make my long-awaited move to the suburbs to live in a microcosm of an outer borough. While Manorhaven and Manhasset Isle are definitely a step up from that, it's a small step at that -- and too high a price to pay.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 44,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
When you go house hunting, look for abandoned shopping carts, large amounts of trash on garbage pick-up day, many cars parked out on street, screen doors left in the open position, and ice cream trucks vending in front of certain homes. This should act as tip off for illegal home - stay away from these areas. We are life long residents and are actively looking to move out of Port Washington.
Wow, you are really generalizing quite a bit here! Port Washington has lots of different types of neighborhoods -- and some of the prettiest I've seen.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 44,430 times
p.s. Anyone moving from Queens (like we are) will think that Port Washington is an absolute paradise.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,265 times
Default thinking of moving to Port Washington

We too are new to the area. We have read about various sections, however, one of the homes we have looked at is in the "park" section. We have not seen anything written about this area, and would appreciate any information.

Thanks so much

Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,855,978 times
The Park section is good area. It is zoned for either Sousa or South Salem Elementary both very good schools. You can also walk to the train station which is a big plus. A very good Irish pub called Sullivans Quay is nearby on Port Boulevard. The neighborhood is also adjacent to the Middle and High Schools.

Port is a good place to live. The reports of it being overun with illegals is greatly exaggerated. Yes, it is more diverse than surrounding towns but it is stable and not experiencing white flight. The schools have remained about 65%- 75% white for many years (which suggests that many whites continue to move into the district even as minorities do also) and the High School is highly ranked. Race is not a big issue in Port, you'll find that out fast once you move here.

Manorhaven isn't the troubled area people make it out to be. It's just working class, nothing wrong with that. Most of the problem with vandalism a few years back up there have been solved. If you move to Port get involved with the community. I find that it is those who don't know what is going on that tend to have a negative view of the place, including myself past tense.

Last edited by Port North; 11-07-2008 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 11:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Manorhaven isn't the troubled area people make it out to be.

Manorhaven is a village.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,855,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Manorhaven is a village.
You are correct it is an incorporated village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island