Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Fortunately on LI, we do not have some of the more creepy crawly big insects that live in some places (i.e., palmetto bugs aka flying roaches in FL; BIG hairy spiders, etc.). I am very thankful for this! However, I have been having a problem with a common household pest and would like some suggestions.

Last year, I noticed in the early summer after it had rained a lot, tiny ants were in the bathroom. I figured their anthills outside had been rained out and that they would be gone soon, but they didn't leave completely until the fall. I would only see a few at a time (the most 10) and would kill them. I also put down Raid ant baits in the bathroom, but I am not convinced they work all that well.

Now the tiny ants are back and yet again, only in the bathroom, and only a few at a time. What the heck is going on? You would think ants would hang out in the kitchen for food to munch on, but these ants are in the bathroom!

I put down Raid ant baits again (since it's the only product I could find), but still see small numbers of tiny ants. I don't like to spray stuff around because I have pets. Does anyone have any suggestions of other ways I can get rid of these ants? I think it is too small of a job to call an exterminator (but maybe I am wrong).

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
We had them last year for the first time in NC.

Exterminator blamed the drought. Said to vacuum them up and no need for poisons.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
I have a problem with the tiny ants in summer, and a really bad Wasp problem that has gotten worse this year. Have an appt with an exterminator next week. The wasps are hug with GIANT inch long stingers and keep getting into the house. I'm worried they'll sting one of my pets.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 PM

245 posts, read 298,451 times
Default Boiling water

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Fortunately on LI, we do not have some of the more creepy crawly big insects that live in some places (i.e., palmetto bugs aka flying roaches in FL; BIG hairy spiders, etc.). I am very thankful for this! However, I have been having a problem with a common household pest and would like some suggestions.

Last year, I noticed in the early summer after it had rained a lot, tiny ants were in the bathroom. I figured their anthills outside had been rained out and that they would be gone soon, but they didn't leave completely until the fall. I would only see a few at a time (the most 10) and would kill them. I also put down Raid ant baits in the bathroom, but I am not convinced they work all that well.

Now the tiny ants are back and yet again, only in the bathroom, and only a few at a time. What the heck is going on? You would think ants would hang out in the kitchen for food to munch on, but these ants are in the bathroom!

I put down Raid ant baits again (since it's the only product I could find), but still see small numbers of tiny ants. I don't like to spray stuff around because I have pets. Does anyone have any suggestions of other ways I can get rid of these ants? I think it is too small of a job to call an exterminator (but maybe I am wrong).

Thanks all!
I used to do this in Florida and it worked - pour boiling water into their nests.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM

30 posts, read 88,842 times
A substance called Boric Acid may work. It's available in some hardware stores and pharmacies. It's a white powder that's harmless to people and pets. It seems to act like a dessicant or they lick themselves off and it kills them.

Ants come in many species and can be attracted to fats, proteins and sugars. Might some urine on the floor have some sugar in it? Is someone a diabetic or pre-diabetic?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Try straight bleach into the ant hills.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:25 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Look for a biting system that attacts both sugar and protiens ans they alt. on that type of food they are searching for. Boric acid is safe and does dry them up.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
I was going to use boric acid last year, because it's touted as safe for pets, but right on the package it says to not use around pets.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I was going to use boric acid last year, because it's touted as safe for pets, but right on the package it says to not use around pets.
I needs to be applied in cracks anc crevices...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island