Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,918,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceskykrumlov View Post
Thanks everyone--

We will def. check out Rockville Ctr. It sounds great! Thanks jasonsdaddy and jrprofess for the tips.

And Alexis, I didn't mean to come off that way...thanks for setting me straight on LI, I am completely aware of the materialism elsewhere, too! Gotta say I do have a not-so-great impression of LI and I am trying to get past that. I know it is not fair to judge a whole region in any blanket terms.

I just am looking for a place where my kids can go to a great school and yet not be around lots of other kids who drive these huge expensive SUVs when they are 16. I know there is bound to be some of that out there but that is why we, say, ruled out Scarsdale and Rye.

Not having to get around with a car with 2 small children is a priority. I do not want to have to get in/out/in/out/in/out with them for every little excursion. Not my cup of tea, that's all. So am looking for a community where we can walk to the library, park, coffee shop, bakery, etc.

We have been to Huntington a few times and it is lively and fun, but never really thought of it as a place to settle. How would the commute be to Port Wash? And if we lived in Huntington Village in the Cold Sp. Harbor or Harborfields SD would we be able to walk places?

Interesting how you all mentioned that people have a real sense of community. That is really wonderful, and something that I feel is really lacking in our disconnected neighborhood we live in now.
Sorry, it's a bit of a sore spot with me--LI has a worse reputation than it deserves and it really is my feeling that a lot of the things people complain about are a problem all over the New York area. if you get to know LI a little better you'll see it's more varied than you think--the stereotypes aren't any more accurate than Westchester just being full of rich WASPs. Which is to say, there are some places it's true, but not universally. There are parts of LI that are very materialistic (and I would say that LIers might be a bit more conspicuous-consumption about it than Westchester or CT, yes, big cars and fur coats ) I'm actually pretty unmaterialistic (I refer to myself as the world's only granola ***) but I've learnt to let it slide over me. I don't care what other people spend money on, and well, if you want a big Jewish community in the New York area, you can't be too picky on that.

But, like I said, it's not universal. There are plenty of communities where the kids may have cars, but if they do have an SUV it's Mom's hand-me-down. I knew quite a few kids in my day who had Volvo wagons. At the same time, some of the kids I went to Hebrew school with, who lived not far away but in a richer school district (Half Hollow Hills rather than South Huntington) who were richer and snobbier.

Unfortunately, the absolutely top-notch schools tend to be in the richest areas with all that accompanies it. Not a perfect correlation, but a rough one. So while Great Neck would have a lot to offer you in terms of schools, amenities, and walkability, not to mention a fabulous commute, you'd hate the money aspect. The other thing is that if you want "pretty", like Westchester, you want the North Shore (the South Shore is flat as a pancake and more densely built), and that tends to be more moneyed.

Huntington is good in this respect--you get North Shore looks (hills, trees, nice harbor), a walkable village, more diversity, and not so many money hang-ups except for people in waterfront houses. You will have to be in Huntington SD to be walkable, though. If you're within walking distance of the village, you can do a lot--post office, library, supermarket, farmers market, park down at the other end, lots of shops and restaurants. Only thing you'd have to drive to is the train (DO NOT WALK THERE. The area immediately surrounding the station is not safe.)

The schools have a worse reputation than they deserve. I will tell you flat out that the schools are not at the Syosset-Jericho-Great Neck level. But they're good. The zones have changed since I was in the area, so you'd have to see which school you'd be zoned to and the reputation it has now.

The commute would depend on traffic. It's a straight run down 25A to Manhasset (where you turn off for Port Washington). I've driven from Huntington to Great Neck in as little as 25 minutes, but I would never count on it being that quick. Huntington does not have great parkway access, but for Port Washington you'd be better off with the lights on 25A. It's a nice drive anyway.

Cold Spring Harbor has a little village area, but it's not as happening as Huntington and it is wealthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 175,770 times
Default Thanks!

Wow, AlexisT and Jennifer06, your posts were so helpful and informative. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that and for understanding my perspective. We will definitely consider Huntington Village and maybe will request a tour of an elementary school in the district. Also we are going to check out Northport.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,641,276 times
It's all about the GC (Garden City)...I think you should take a look. I also like RVC, Munsey Park, and Northport.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM

177 posts, read 890,998 times
Definitely check out Rockville Centre. My parents come up to stay with us in the summer (they are currently snowbirds in FL) and one of the aspects that is so nice is that you can walk to many places. My mom loves the freedom of not having to take the car out for all errands - it's easy to walk up to the bakery or CVS pharmacy or pick up a newspaper at 7-11.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,500,569 times
Did you say what your price range is? B/C that might rule out some communities and make the process easier.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Well one criteria is we are going to be renting...looking for a 2-3 bedroom (pref. 3) for under about $2400/mo. I am not sure if I mentioned that, and I know some communities tend to have more rentals than others. We'd be open to renting an apartment, duplex or single family house. I would love to have just a teeny bit of outdoor space for a bbq.

Thanks everybody.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 PM

I have read some cool things about Sayville--anyone think that might fit the bill? I have no idea what the commute from there to Port Wash might be...

Old 05-05-2008, 07:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,193,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceskykrumlov View Post
I have read some cool things about Sayville--anyone think that might fit the bill? I have no idea what the commute from there to Port Wash might be...
That would be a tough commute. LLOONNGG even if you were not commuting during the rush hour. South Shore Suffolk to North Shore Nassau.

Dunno what you drive (SUV or compact car or in between), but think about the gas prices that keep going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island