Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,168 times

Advertisements

i know Lislanders must me tired of questions about towns. i have posted a few times here, trying to choose best option for us. we finally got a realtor who is sending us listings to look at. DH moves to LI this sunday and then the rest of us when we find a home. the homes our realtor is suggesting are form northport, E. northport, greenlawn (elwood school district, and one from harborfields SD), plainview, and commack, mainly as our budget is 550k. looking at the homes, i am noticing for the same money the homes in commack have more yard and better looking homes (could be photoshop). i don't know. also commack homes have two school districts, some belong to commack school district and some to hauppauge (sp?). the towns we need should be within 20-30 min driving distance from bethpage. we're middle class, both working with almost pre-k age kids. i have said it before, we're just looking for safe, good neighborhoods, and good school districts. from these towns i have mentioned, do you have any suggestions, pros or cons, or would you add more towns for us to consider.
i don't need to stress show stressful it is to try choose a place for us. LI will be our home for years to come. DH says let's just choose something now, and then we may upgrade in a few years if we don't like the choice we make now. considering we have been nomads for last 6 years i really don't want to upgrade or downgrade until i am ready to choose a plot for myself. no more moves.
thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
All are good choices. I don't know that I agree that in the 550 range the homes in Commack are nicer. You can do just as well in East Northport and Greenlawn. Northport is generally a more expensive area then any of the others you mention so expect less for your dollar there. Also, watch the taxes. Commack tends to have somewhat higher school taxes then the surrounding towns and in Northport you will be paying additional Village Tax, as it is an incorporated village.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:01 PM

76 posts, read 185,928 times
Why not look in Plainview / Old Bethpage? (plainview-oldbethpage) school districts?

The commute to Bethpage should be pretty easy from either town, and the community from what I hear everywhere is safe..

Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Default I second Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
i know Lislanders must me tired of questions about towns. i have posted a few times here, trying to choose best option for us. we finally got a realtor who is sending us listings to look at. DH moves to LI this sunday and then the rest of us when we find a home. the homes our realtor is suggesting are form northport, E. northport, greenlawn (elwood school district, and one from harborfields SD), plainview, and commack, mainly as our budget is 550k. looking at the homes, i am noticing for the same money the homes in commack have more yard and better looking homes (could be photoshop). i don't know. also commack homes have two school districts, some belong to commack school district and some to hauppauge (sp?). the towns we need should be within 20-30 min driving distance from bethpage. we're middle class, both working with almost pre-k age kids. i have said it before, we're just looking for safe, good neighborhoods, and good school districts. from these towns i have mentioned, do you have any suggestions, pros or cons, or would you add more towns for us to consider.
i don't need to stress show stressful it is to try choose a place for us. LI will be our home for years to come. DH says let's just choose something now, and then we may upgrade in a few years if we don't like the choice we make now. considering we have been nomads for last 6 years i really don't want to upgrade or downgrade until i am ready to choose a plot for myself. no more moves.
thank you all
You should at the very least breath a sigh of relief as all of those communities and school districts are good/nice. It is simply a matter of finding out what feels right for you and your other half's commute. Good luck to you.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Try E Northport/Commack or Kings Park.......should get something nice without breaking the bank!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 AM

46 posts, read 259,169 times
Definitely look in Plainview. I grew up here and live here now with my two small kids. The school district is excellent (in fact, two kids from the high school just won a national prestigious science competition). There are a lot of houses on the market now in Plainview (mine being one of them), but they are definitely in your price range. It's a great town... there's tons of shopping nearby and Bethpage is just one town over....just a 5 minute drive (maybe less depending on where you live) for your husband.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
... (I)n Northport you will be paying additional Village Tax, as it is an incorporated village.

While a house in the Village of Northport will have one or more Village of Northport real property taxes, that same same house should see a reduction in one or more of the Town of Huntington real property taxes as some services that would have been supplied by the town are now supplied, or even no longer deemed necessary to be supplied, by the village.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
There's definitely good things about all of them, so you'll have to look at other factors. First, Plainview versus anything in Suffolk: this will be relatively easy, because the layout and density are different (Plainview is not as densely built as further west, but it is Nassau County). Plainview is closer to a lot of things, but it's more crowded. If you like being able to get into the city, this is where you want to be--you can get to the LIE or the train. Your commute to Bethpage will be a snap.

If you like things a bit more spread out and quiet, or really want that bigger yard, then Suffolk will be more to your taste. Within that, it's really about how much you like the community and house. The only caveat I would have is that you should test the commute if you look in Northport. My sister used to live there and it was a shlep to everywhere.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
If you decide to look in Commack I would look at home ONLY in the Commack school district. Haupauge SD is not as good. Commack schools are a better resale.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
If you decide to look in Commack I would look at home ONLY in the Commack school district. Haupauge SD is not as good. Commack schools are a better resale.
There are also some homes in East Northport (south of Clay Pitts, between Larkfield and Town Line Rd) that belong to the coveted Commack School District (SD10).
Earlier comment about Commack school taxes was right on target - Newsday reported enrollment increase of 0.9% this year , but with a proposed budget increase of 6.57%, nearly twice the average for Suffolk County. I have lived in Commack almost 20 years, and my only complaint is the school taxes, always totally out of control.
BTW, you mentioned commuting to Bethpage - I drive there daily , and the commute is not all that bad - 35-40 minutes during rush hour (unless it rains or snows).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island