Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
I live in Suffolk...in fact I like it here a lot. BUT There is no denying that a lot of it is pretty crappy, and most of it is very dirty.
I def agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
The state however is divided up into named districts, regions, townships, counties, etc. The governing body for the state itself utilizes such terms.
Sorry, the position is already filled as we have a resident expert on this.

Quote:
However if you want to sum it up there are only three kinds of people that can possibly fit the bill of this state, more power to you for not recognizing the diverse population of the 3rd biggest state of the Union. Though I'm positive by 2010 Census Florida will overtake NY in pop.
Haven't you heard? The trend in the last couple of years is more people are moving out of FL than in. FL was never meant to be lived in anyway. If there was no such thing as air conditioning, what do you think the population there would be like?

Old 07-17-2009, 04:17 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
I grew up and lived in suffolk LI for 20 years, manhattan and queens for a few years, and virginia for a few years. I don't think LI is bad a place to live but it certainly has changed. The traffic and filth have both gotten worse and there seems to be way more rowdy teeny boppers at the theaters and malls nowadays. Designer bags are seen on all of them. I think whether or not a place is good depends on your priorities. LI is close to the water and NYC, and has some quaint towns, but is very expensive to live in. I've already experienced much of the city and I certainly love it but LI is no NYC. It's mostly chain restaurants, malls, and theaters with the occasional more interesting areas like downtown port jefferson and huntington... After being away from LI/NYC area for a few years, I realized that I was happier and healthier living away from all the stress, congestion, and pollution. We make more than enough to live on LI but chose to leave. To me, what it offers doesn't match up to what you have to pay, but it took me a few years out of the area to realize that.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sorry, the position is already filled as we have a resident expert on this.

Haven't you heard? The trend in the last couple of years is more people are moving out of FL than in. FL was never meant to be lived in anyway. If there was no such thing as air conditioning, what do you think the population there would be like?
Yeah but you know what... there IS, Air Conditioning, and it isn't going anywhere. Your statement of people not meant to live there is so moot and dated it shows not only your age, but your ignorance. Was man not meant to walk on the moon?, because last I checked that happened a few times too.

While people are moving to/from/within Florida there is no denying their cities have grown in population astronomically, while NY cities and towns remain at a standstill. You can argue till you're blue in the face but the statistics and the census say otherwise. In my lifetime Texas overtook NY as the 2nd most populous state, and FL will do so as well.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
the center strip of long island is undesirable. north of route 347 and south of sunrise is where you want to be.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ability View Post
the center strip of long island is undesirable. north of route 347 and south of sunrise is where you want to be.
I tend to agree, North or South are generally(but not always) a safe bet for Suffolk.

There are a few exceptions regarding "desireable" up the middle, Dix Hills, Melville and Manorville all come to mind.

Crooks

Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah but you know what... there IS, Air Conditioning, and it isn't going anywhere. Your statement of people not meant to live there is so moot and dated it shows not only your age, but your ignorance.
Look up the term "peak oil" and consider how that might affect air conditioning.

Quote:
Was man not meant to walk on the moon?, because last I checked that happened a few times too.
We're not living there yet, are we? Your point is "so moot."

Quote:
While people are moving to/from/within Florida there is no denying their cities have grown in population astronomically, while NY cities and towns remain at a standstill. You can argue till you're blue in the face but the statistics and the census say otherwise. In my lifetime Texas overtook NY as the 2nd most populous state, and FL will do so as well.
Good for FL. FL is the land of the screw-ups anyway. (Note: the person who told me this theory is a self-admitted screw-up and FL transplant.) They are second only to the retireds. If you can't make it anywhere else, you end up in FL, screwing things up there. Try and find some reliable employees down there. It's not easy and I know more than a few business owners in FL who can attest to it.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Look up the term "peak oil" and consider how that might affect air conditioning.

We're not living there yet, are we? Your point is "so moot."

Good for FL. FL is the land of the screw-ups anyway. (Note: the person who told me this theory is a self-admitted screw-up and FL transplant.) They are second only to the retireds. If you can't make it anywhere else, you end up in FL, screwing things up there. Try and find some reliable employees down there. It's not easy and I know more than a few business owners in FL who can attest to it.
You are a bitter poster. Things will one day live on the moon.

To even mention peak oil when you live on Long Island is a joke.
Not only is the traffic atrocious and public transportation intraisland barely existant- but you do know that it takes more energy and oil to heat a home 4 months of the year, as it does to Air Condition for 4? Right?

You may call it the land of screw-ups as much as you like, it does not defeat the fact the state will overtake the population of New York within the next 5 years at the rate it is going.

You will argue it though I'd imagine... I have a feeling you get some satisfaction from yelling out opinions and terms until everyone gets tired of it and just let's you have your way.

As I've said in another post- wait on it, and we can see who had the more accurate depiction of the future.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
You are a bitter poster. Things will one day live on the moon.
You must like me. You are a newbie poster and most of your posts so far are spent arguing with me.

Quote:
but you do know that it takes more energy and oil to heat a home 4 months of the year, as it does to Air Condition for 4? Right?
Where do people only need to keep their air conditioning on for 4 months? If you think it's in FL, you are sadly mistaken.

Quote:
You may call it the land of screw-ups as much as you like, it does not defeat the fact the state will overtake the population of New York within the next 5 years at the rate it is going.
And that's supposed to be a good thing? More poor slobs crammed into FL with high taxes, crappy paying, no benefits jobs, and natural disasters like hurricanes on the regular?

Quote:
You will argue it though I'd imagine... I have a feeling you get some satisfaction from yelling out opinions and terms until everyone gets tired of it and just let's you have your way.
So let me have my way already!

Quote:
As I've said in another post- wait on it, and we can see who had the more accurate depiction of the future.
So far the depictions of the future you speak of have not come to pass in the past 10, nor the past 20 years. What is the magic charm of the next 10 years you are so convinced of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island