Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,878 times

Advertisements

On Friday morning, I got my first ever ticket from the police while I was on Stewart Ave in Garden City. I didn't realize I was speeding as I was driving to work but I truly don't know what I should do as it is my first ever offense. I was going 59 in a 30MPH zone. It was not a work zone or a school zone.

When the officer asked me whether I knew why I was being stopped, I told him I didn't know. Initially I didn't even realize that the officer was trying to stop me, I saw the flashing lights in the rearview and moved over from the right lane into the left lane so I could get out of their way. After the car followed me doing that I realized- "oh, he must be stopping me"

The ticket doesn't have a fine on it but it does say its an Infraction. I don't want my mom's insurance costs to go up.
Has anyone ever pleaded not guilty or fought their own ticket so there's reduced consequences in the Garden City? Has dealing with the process changed due to Corona virus? What's the worst damage that I am looking at for a first time offense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 02:11 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Are you a Garden City resident? If not, just pay the fine. You don't have a chance in Village Court.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:20 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Cops ask if you know why you were stopped to try to get you to incriminate yourself. They are not just making conversation. Anything you say will be used against you if you fight the ticket. If it’s obvious that it was a speed trap, a good answer is “are you sure officer? I really don’t think I was exceeding the speed limit”.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:44 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Cops ask if you know why you were stopped to try to get you to incriminate yourself. They are not just making conversation. Anything you say will be used against you if you fight the ticket. If it’s obvious that it was a speed trap, a good answer is “are you sure officer? I really don’t think I was exceeding the speed limit”.
meh, I've owned up to it every time and never gotten a ticket. "I realize I went through that stop sign, I'm so sorry". The one time I didn't know why I got pulled over I got a ticket (it was a school speed zone, at 10 p.m., on a Saturday night...good ole NY).

59 in a 30, you might want to call a lawyer. You do not have a chance in GC Village court.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:52 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Saying you’re sorry can work especially if the cop just happened to notice something you did and was not part of a speed trap, red light trap or stop sign trap. Writing a ticket when they weren’t expecting to can be more of a hassle than letting you go with a warning if you are apologetic. There are no absolutes though!

Old 05-17-2020, 05:36 PM

565 posts, read 361,965 times
My job entails me driving all over Nassau county all day and it's well known that GC police are not be messed with. I'll speed down Old Country Road but then slow down as I approach GC. I haven't seen one car pulled over for speeding since covid but I'm not surprised the GC police pinched you. To be honest, you deserve it if you're double the limit. Expect insurance to go up, to get points on your license and to pay a nice GC fine.

Here in Queens we have speed cameras just about everywhere, even on side streets. We're used to crawling along at 25mph. I love crossing over into Nassau and hitting the gas.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Are you a Garden City resident? If not, just pay the fine. You don't have a chance in Village Court.
No, I am a Franklin Square resident. I work in Garden City and was headed to work. I’m still on my mom’s insurance and I want to know as a first time offender if I can just pay a fine but not get my mom’s insurance to Go up. I’m freaking out and I haven’t told her yet!

Old 05-17-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
meh, I've owned up to it every time and never gotten a ticket. "I realize I went through that stop sign, I'm so sorry". The one time I didn't know why I got pulled over I got a ticket (it was a school speed zone, at 10 p.m., on a Saturday night...good ole NY).

59 in a 30, you might want to call a lawyer. You do not have a chance in GC Village court.
It was my first time ever being pulled over and I really didn't realize I was speeding like that. I was going with the flow of the cars in front of me. I can't argue with the speed now- what's done is done.I clearly made a mistake.
But I'm curious to know how bad the damage can be for a first time offender. Is a lawyer really needed to fight a ticket like this? I'm on my mom's insurance still and I really don't want to get in trouble with my mom by increasing her insurance cost.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I don't typically speed over 10mph+ or have ever gotten stopped by cops before but I suppose I'll keep this in mind if I ever break the rules again.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:46 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Then pay your mother for any increase that arises. How old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island