Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 33,557 times

Advertisements

when you make an offer can the seller agent request credit scores, social security #'s or that you use a specific bank. I have walked away from two homes because i felt uncomfortable with these demands even before an offer is accepted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsu View Post
when you make an offer can the seller agent request credit scores, social security #'s or that you use a specific bank. I have walked away from two homes because i felt uncomfortable with these demands even before an offer is accepted

First, in most, if not all, markets, "offer" means to sell (I'm offering to sell to you a widget or a house or a ????? at a specified price or barter exchange) and "bid" means to buy (I'm bidding to buy from you a widget or a house or a ????? at a specified price or barter exchange).

Second, the seller can ask for lots of things, and a buyer can chose to provide the requested information or not.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Yes they can. It doesn't mean you are obligated to give them any of it of course.

With the cost of houses these days (and in the recent past), many RE agents will not take a buyer out to see houses unless the buyer has been prequalified or preapproved for a mortgage. I can't say that I blame them either. It's hard to make money off buyers for RE agents in NY and a lot of their efforts can go to naught even with buyers who have proven means to actually purchase a home.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM

6 posts, read 33,557 times
so if i bid on a home and send my preapproval letter to the seller agent, they can ask for any personal information in additon even before it is at least accepted or counteroffered?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 AM

148 posts, read 556,967 times
I am in the process of buying a house and no one has asked me for more than our pre approval. We have bid on two ( got outbid on the first one). I wouldnt give my Social Security number to a real estate agent.

Now for the mortgage thats a different story.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
so if i bid on a home and send my preapproval letter to the seller agent, they can ask for any personal information in additon even before it is at least accepted or counteroffered?
IMO....as long as the pre-approval is from good lender, I think thats all they need. How much are you putting down? The lower the #, the more nervious the sellers will be.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
A seller cannot make you use a particular lender. They may ask that you get pre-qualified through a particular lender, as long as there is no cost or obligation. Today, with so many deals falling apart because of the buyers inability to get a mortgage, it is becoming more common for sellers to ask for credit reports and other evidence of mortgage eligibility before accepting an offer.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 AM

62 posts, read 226,314 times
Like Walter says, they can ASK for anything... and you can choose to supply, or not (and I think you're right to be wary here). It sure seems like they're just trying to verify your creditworthiness and a pre-approval letter ought to be all they need.

I'd WALK from any selling arrangement that required me to use a specific bank... I'm no expert but this feels borderline illegal, if not unethical.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsdaddy View Post
Like It sure seems like they're just trying to verify your creditworthiness and a pre-approval letter ought to be all they need.
It's important that you understand the difference between a pre-qualification and a pre-approval.

A pre-qualification letter is very easy to get. It is based on the unverified information that you give to the mortgage broker or banker. Sometimes they will check your credit, but usually not your assets, income, or other information. In fact, you can get one on line in about 2 minutes.

A pre-approval, on the other hand, means that you have already gone through the entire application and approval process with the bank, and that all you need is a property that will appraise.

These two terms are often used interchangably, but there is a huge difference between the two.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,247 times
hmm..., i always thought pre-approval just means your credit score would be checked but not income, a commitment on the other hand means the whole nine yards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island