Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
As for Lakeview, that's a whole other town and one which I did not advise the OP to go to. I think it is part of West Hempstead, but I don't know 100%. (I am sure someone on here can tell me though.)

For those who may not be familiar with Lakeview:

Previously referred to as Skodic, Woodfield, Norwood and Hempstead Gardens, Lakeview is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Lakeview in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Malverne-Oaks and the Hamlet of West Hempstead; on the east by the Village of Rockville Centre; on the south by the Village of Rockville Centre and the Village of Lynbrook; and, on the west by the Village of Malverne.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Lakeview-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Lakeview is one of those many villages and hamlets on long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Lakeview have a "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 AM

563 posts, read 2,570,170 times
I agree with the previous posters who clarified the Floral Park area. I grew up there and still have family and friends there. Nassau county side is Floral Park Village and Bellerose Village. While Floral Park has their own police, Bellerose is serviced by Nassau 3rd Precinct. Bellerose Terrace is not as nice as bellerose village and looks more "citified". (less trees, smaller houses and lots, much closer together, etc) It is also Nassau for a few blocks here and there before officially being Bellerose queens. Floral Park and Bellerose village as well as Bellerose Terrace) are zoned for Floral Park-Bellerose SD. Floral Park Center is on the eastern end of town for a few blocks north of Jericho tpke. They have no ties to Floral Park Village. I was not aware that Floral Park Center was zoned for Elmont School District. (Actually its probably the Sewanhaka Central High School District which Elmont is a part of at the high school level as is FP) Thats weird since they are closer to New Hyde Park and I would assume maybe the New Hyde Park-Garden City Park SD. Floral Park Village may have higher taxes and more restrictions but you have your own police, fire, rescue, etc. and this more than makes up for it. (THINK RESPONSE TIME FOR EMERGENCIES)

You also have rules to prevent rental disasters (lots of people), and the "ornate" homes from going up (What a nice way to refer to them--I call them many other things ). Take a ride north of Hillside Ave into what is locally called "Floral Park Queens" and you will see houses for sale that are either a) An "ornate" Garage Mahal or b) a small cape sitting right next to one of these monstrocities. I can only wonder why the person wants to sell. I would not want to live next to one of these.

Should the taxes be a little lower in Floral Park? Sure but that can be said for anywhere. Look at what you get though. I'll take that over the savings I may get from NYC. Bloomberg has been raising taxes there anyway so its just a matter of time before those areas get closer where it makes a person think. Plus you have the city tax if you live there and work in nassau anyway. If I compare house prices and taxes between Floral Park and the surrounding towns (New Hyde Park, Stewart Manor, Franklin Square, Garden City Park, Elmont, etc) they will all be somewhat similar. Therefore I go with Floral Park for the services I get among other things. The only neighboring town with the same services is the Incorporated Village of Garden City. While starter homes may not seem that nice, I am sure you can find something in FP. Try to get the service these two villages can provide on the city side of Floral Park, which is actually Glen Oaks zip 11004. Its a nice area but you deal with NYC Beauracracy. My fiancee and I were renting (she is still there) a house there and when a tree fell in a storm, I had to call all sorts of departments to get someone to first come survey, then cut, then bundle and finally remove. (Sanitation does not do trees anymore). I think it was Parks Department ultimately.

While other posters have mentioned Lynbrook and Valley Stream, I never really cared for those areas. I would choose Lynbrook over Valley Stream. Lynbrook does have its on Police which is a plus. Valley Stream has gone in a direction that would make me not consider it as a place to live (comparing it to what I remember when I was growing up--it has changed IMO). There are still some nicer areas but I am not considering it. As a side, I also would not consider shopping at Green Acres mall with your money much less my own so that area does not offer me much. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:36 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
You also have rules to prevent rental disasters (lots of people), and the "ornate" homes from going up (What a nice way to refer to them--I call them many other things ). Take a ride north of Hillside Ave into what is locally called "Floral Park Queens" and you will see houses for sale that are either a) An "ornate" Garage Mahal or b) a small cape sitting right next to one of these monstrocities. I can only wonder why the person wants to sell. I would not want to live next to one of these.

Should the taxes be a little lower in Floral Park? Sure but that can be said for anywhere. Look at what you get though. I'll take that over the savings I may get from NYC. Bloomberg has been raising taxes there anyway so its just a matter of time before those areas get closer where it makes a person think. Plus you have the city tax if you live there and work in nassau anyway. If I compare house prices and taxes between Floral Park and the surrounding towns (New Hyde Park, Stewart Manor, Franklin Square, Garden City Park, Elmont, etc) they will all be somewhat similar. Therefore I go with Floral Park for the services I get among other things. The only neighboring town with the same services is the Incorporated Village of Garden City. While starter homes may not seem that nice, I am sure you can find something in FP. Try to get the service these two villages can provide on the city side of Floral Park, which is actually Glen Oaks zip 11004. Its a nice area but you deal with NYC Beauracracy. My fiancee and I were renting (she is still there) a house there and when a tree fell in a storm, I had to call all sorts of departments to get someone to first come survey, then cut, then bundle and finally remove. (Sanitation does not do trees anymore). I think it was Parks Department ultimately.

As a side, I also would not consider shopping at Green Acres mall with your money much less my own so that area does not offer me much. Good luck.
Great post. ITA

Why would anyone who is located close to Roosevelt Field go to Green Acres instead? If you choose Floral Park Village or Bellerose Village, you would be shopping at Roosevelt Field. About 10 -15 mins away only, which is a nice plus if you like to shop or eat out. I would never choose to live in the Southern towns if I could live more central in an incorporated village (such as Floral Park V). And I would never choose to live anywhere that is "closer" to Green Acres mall, that's for sure.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with North New Hyde Park

Quote:
Floral Park Center is on the eastern end of town for a few blocks north of Jericho tpke. They have no ties to Floral Park Village.

Would the area referred to as Floral Park Center be in that part of the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park that has a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address?

For those who may not be familiar with North New Hyde Park:

North New Hyde Park is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southwest section of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County along the Nassau County/NYC border and along the Town of North Hempstead/Town of Hempstead border.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Lake Success and the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills; on the east by the Hamlet of Garden City Park; on the south by the Village of Garden City, Town of Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead Town line), the Village of New Hyde Park and the Village of Floral Park; and, on the west by New York City (the Nassau County/NYC line).

Map of the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park:
Not yet available

North New Hyde Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, with a small area having a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 05-04-2008, 10:03 AM

87 posts, read 270,523 times
Default Ornate garage mahals

That made me laugh out loud. Sometimes when returning from house hunting in Long Island, on the way back to the city, we've stopped in a nice part of Queens to find a bathroom, and I'm not sure where exactly we were, there was a Walgreen's we went into but first, we went on a street that was half beautiful (wonderful older brick homes) and full of total palatial horrors. Garage mahals as you call them. They ruined the whole ambience of the street.

---
Quote:

While other posters have mentioned Lynbrook and Valley Stream, I never really cared for those areas. I would choose Lynbrook over Valley Stream. Lynbrook does have its on Police which is a plus. Valley Stream has gone in a direction that would make me not consider it as a place to live (comparing it to what I remember when I was growing up--it has changed IMO). There are still some nicer areas but I am not considering it. As a side, I also would not consider shopping at Green Acres mall with your money much less my own so that area does not offer me much. Good luck.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-09-2008 at 06:51 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks13 View Post
They ruined the whole ambience of the street.
[/quote]

You are right. The towns in Northeastern Queens are still very nice but the blocks are truly hit or miss.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Would the area referred to as Floral Park Center be in that part of the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park that has a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address?
Walter--

In looking at your map posted for Floral Park it seems to be North New Hyde Park with a FP zip that is locally referred to as Floral Park Centre. Willis Ave is Floral Park but is the last street on the north eastern side of town. When you go north about 3 blocks the road converges with McKee Street I beleive. I know McKee is definitely FP Centre. The block(s) are north of Jericho tpke. Its a very small area with a very small volunteer FD (unaffiliated with FP Village volunteer Fire/Rescue)

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Its a very small area with a very small volunteer FD (unaffiliated with FP Village volunteer Fire/Rescue)
That would be the Floral Park Centre Independent Incorporated Fire Company (I.I.F.C.) that services that area, and it is a very small area of only 49 acres.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
That would be the Floral Park Centre Independent Incorporated Fire Company (I.I.F.C.) that services that area, and it is a very small area of only 49 acres.
I think they actually have a mayor too. Or some trustee that acts as a mayor type. Walter were you a historian for any towns or counties on Long Island or is your information based on research as part of a hobby? You have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for all your info overall.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I think they actually have a mayor too. Or some trustee that acts as a mayor type.
That would be the president of the Floral Park Centre IIFC.

IIFCs are organized differently than are FDFDs (Fire District Fire Department).

Quote:
Walter were you a historian for any towns or counties on Long Island or is your information based on research as part of a hobby?
A hobby that some might call an infliction.

Quote:
You have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for all your info overall.
You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island