Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 05:45 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

Obviously the list isn’t just for us middle classer’s. There are a lot of wealthy people in NYC that might very well retire to those LI places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 05:46 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
A few years back we drove down to the US Open golf tournament. It was held at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, a historic, world famous links style course. It was not easy booking a hotel room because the area was mobbed with thousands of people, so we took a chance and booked a room in a town called Shirley. When we walked up to the office of the hotel there was a posted sign that listed rates by the hour. That made me pause. The place seemed clean enough, and we figured we’d only be there overnight so we paid. When we opened the door we were nearly knocked over by the smell of cigarettes. The next surprise was inside the room, over the bed- a mirror. We had a few laughs and got through the night, but vowed never to stay in Shirley, LI again. That being said, I’m sure there are some very nice places there.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I laughed at that list. First, if you changed the title I might agree with some of the picks, but to suggest that Lake Success is among the best small town to retire to is absurd. I happen to live in one of the named towns and nearby two of the others and compared to NY, they are much better to retire to.

As mathjak107 points out there are different trade offs that need to be considered when making that decision, but this poll in my opinion is far from a reliable barometer.
Lake Success? Manhasset? Great Neck?

I guess it’s the list of best places to retire if you’re a multimillionaire. Maybe someone needs to downsize from their Hamptons mansion.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I know that this discussion is based around LI, and I'm in western NY. I can't help but comment on the post above, with respect to taxes. While the homes here in Monroe County are pretty reasonable, by comparison, our tax rate is pretty steep.

I'm in a 2100 sq/ft home, on a 1/2 acre lot. Assessment is around $260,000, but my taxes, county/town and school, run a little under $8000/yr. And since I'm over 65, that includes any applicable "senior citizen" discounts. And as the previous poster mentioned, it's one thing when those taxes are somewhat "hidden" in your mortgage payment, but it really stands out, when the house is paid off, and you get to see the tax bill, all by itself. It's about $160/week..........

And yeah, I'm retired.

Stop making us LI'ers depressed with your cheap $8k tax bill.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Are there any houses actually in Lake Success? I thought as twingles said, it’s more of a zip code, iavaronne shopping center, and the Pro Health quad, etc.

Its part of Great Neck and there are plenty houses. Seems like the asians are the majority there now, since they want their kids to go to GNS.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:34 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
I wouldn’t call it a downtown area, it’s pretty much union turnpike with a strip mall (the old Sears), some restaurants, and an LA Fitness in the other side of the street. A tiny section of Lakeville road is LS as well. The remaining buildings are all medical or commercial. To my understanding, this is LS proper. I thought the residential areas, which if I’m not mistaken, is a different zip code, was manhasset hills or great neck. I could be wrong though.
That was my point. I hardly consider that downtown. When I think of a downtown area, I think of a 7th Street like Garden City, not a strip mall.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Obviously the list isn’t just for us middle classer’s. There are a lot of wealthy people in NYC that might very well retire to those LI places.
Wealthy people don't get and stay wealthy by spending money foolishly. Yeah maybe if you are from NYC/LI you might stay and retire. No one is coming from another area and going to Lake Success and saying, this is it.

My parents could have afforded to stay on LI, but they are saving $10K a year in property tax having moved...and yes I can guarantee my dad has saved every penny of that the last ten years as well as the $200K he pocketed between the sale of the LI house and the purchase of the one here. Now I'm starting to wonder why those purse strings are so tight....

Old 10-22-2020, 02:42 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Why would anyone retire to a place with most of the highest property taxes in the nation.
Because it has so much going for it. Too many to list and again, you get what you pay for.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Because it has so much going for it. Too many to list and again, you get what you pay for.
Those Lake Success waterfront beaches are amazing. Great skiing in the winter too.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:37 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Those Lake Success waterfront beaches are amazing. Great skiing in the winter too.
And the lovely downtown and walkable train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island