U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 AM

16 posts, read 64,181 times

Advertisements

What areas on long island is natural gas available? Is there a map or do you have to contact national grid ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM

14,513 posts, read 19,262,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime View Post
What areas on long island is natural gas available? Is there a map or do you have to contact national grid ?
If there is an area which you are considering, contact Natl Grid directly for an exact answer.

For example, where I am in Suffolk part of the area has natural gas lines, while the other part it doesn't.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 639 times
Not always an easy thing getting answers from National Grid, lots of misinformation.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:29 AM

14,513 posts, read 19,262,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray317 View Post
Not always an easy thing getting answers from National Grid, lots of misinformation.
It's better than an anonymous message board.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 AM

138 posts, read 52,016 times
You need to contact them with an exact address. Parts of my town have gas available while others don't.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,616,040 times
Nearly every house has natural gas available. We have a line on my block the connection is actually in front of my house straight run to where oil burner and dryer is. Around 30 feet away and no I don't have it.

Only one person on my block is hooked up to it. It is 3k for line. And then I need to buy a gas burner, gas water heater, gas dryer and gas oven which is around 12k in stuff plus 3k for install. Then get rid of oil tank etc and remove old oil burner. Unless you have an old oil burner, old dryer old electric oven you will be replacing in next 2-5 years anyhow the savings are limited by switching. Although many estate sales all that stuff is junk and switching when you buy makes perfect sense

You have to walk down the curb on both sides of your block you can see the actual gas hook up in the grass strip if you look close and they also spray paint sometimes a small symbol on curb there is gas. I have both in front of my house. The spray paint is to alert folks and sprinkler guys etc watch out.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,564,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Nearly every house has natural gas available.
Maybe in Nassau....
Not in suffolk

Old 06-08-2015, 07:02 AM

3,769 posts, read 3,397,792 times
Not even in Nassau. There are many areas without access.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 AM

1,426 posts, read 744,853 times
Quote:
Nearly every house has natural gas available. We have a line on my block the connection is actually in front of my house straight run to where oil burner and dryer is. Around 30 feet away and no I don't have it.

Only one person on my block is hooked up to it. It is 3k for line. And then I need to buy a gas burner, gas water heater, gas dryer and gas oven which is around 12k in stuff plus 3k for install. Then get rid of oil tank etc and remove old oil burner. Unless you have an old oil burner, old dryer old electric oven you will be replacing in next 2-5 years anyhow the savings are limited by switching. Although many estate sales all that stuff is junk and switching when you buy makes perfect sense

You have to walk down the curb on both sides of your block you can see the actual gas hook up in the grass strip if you look close and they also spray paint sometimes a small symbol on curb there is gas. I have both in front of my house. The spray paint is to alert folks and sprinkler guys etc watch out.
You don't need to have a gas dryer. You can have natural gas and still have an electric dryer.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM

935 posts, read 384,535 times
Quote:

Don't I wish. No, it's not available everywhere. Especially in Suffolk, even in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island