Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Island: traffic, cost of living, mortgage, taxes, realtor.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM

889 posts, read 2,405,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
I find it all pretty amusing actually. How people only look on the little square they live on rather than the bigger picture. Looking through other cities all over the country in the City Data Forums for years now I see no difference what so ever in the complaining and whining by some people. Seems there's always that handful of people that have the need to bash this or that. I donno...you think it just makes them feel better??? It's a pretty sorry state of affairs if that's the case, but I think that's exactly what it is.
I think that group of people never really look where they should be looking....inside themselves....because that's really where it all is. That's where you find true happiness as hokey as that might sound.

If I move off of this sandbar it won't be because I "hate" it here but rather because I'm looking to change my enviorment for new scenery and some new adventures. I don't ever want to think I'm running away, but rather walking into something new.
Where ever I go I'll be taking the same baggage with me so untill I learn how to pack my bags in an orderly fashion, where everything fits.....if I can't do that...then where ever I go I'll never be happy. Like Jon Kabbat-Zinn says, "where ever you go, there you are". There's no escaping that .
That was lovely Andy and I love your renovated home in CSH!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,304,921 times
Default I think it is all about the tone...

...Being somebody not born or raised here I see the issues that defenders have with "bashers" being related to the tone of the Poster.

I can see it coming from a mile away...it is the air of the poster, when posting some criticisms, that they want to let it be known that they are more evolved, intelligent, and aware that LI is not some Utopia, unlike the ignoramus who defends it...As if they are somehow smarter than others who have remained or moved here, because they can see the island for what it truly is or has become; and are smarter than you as a result. Bovina, all due respect, I sense this from many of your postings. People like Clarkstreet (VA I think?) and Slynn (NC) are examples of those providing reasonable feedback on their criticism of the island without spouting off about how much bigger their house is than the old one on the island and subsequently calling Long Islanders materialistic (always scratched my head on that one).

And oftentimes this board provides these posters with the perfect foil: An unabashed LI native who screams that "I would die without the PIZZA and bagels" and "the beach, and the schools are universally better than everything else on the globe", and then proceeds to call somebody from VT a hick. So the critic has their foil and gets to feel like they are justified in their "objective" assessment of all of Long Island.

Others on this board have explained the difference between objective and bashing quite well...but maybe in the end it is just the emotional style of new yorkers that makes this board different. Like Glad said, it has driven me from this discussion group for months at a time.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Like Glad said, it has driven me from this discussion group for months at a time.
I find that funny right there...lol. That anyone can be so effected by what someone writes here. Those people will soon be those with ulcers.
See it for what it is...a microcosm of different parts of our society.
If nothing else "use it" as a wake up call for the deficencies in all of us. No one's exempt. It just comes in different shapes and sizes.

The thing I find hysterically funny are political threads where one person thinks they're going to change another persons mind. I mean does anyone really belive they can do that???LOL.
As you implied...I think it's more of an ego thing. How much more they know then you do. Little do they realize that we're "all" Bozos on the bus. The moment we all recognize that...then the better off we'll be.
I find you really do attract people with honey rather than with bitterness and negativity.Unfortunatly one needs to be able to read between the lines because even in that genre there are the un-authentic postive people trying to push a point....like you see in politicians.
I think if we can keep it simple we'd be a whole lot better off.
Hey....what comes to mind is voting for someone b/c they're going to save us $20 a year on gas...geeezzz

Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,570,096 times
Default What it all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
......Can anyone find me some negative posts regarding LI that were not only objective but also not based around the poster's financial woes and/or changing demographics & landscape?
Demographics are changing all over the place and always have. Nothing today anywhere in the USA is like it was 200 years ago.

Fundamentally Sean nails it by illuminating the fact that most of the negativity contained within these threads boils down to whether or not the poster had the financial wherewithal to at least survive if not thrive on Long Island.

At the core of it if you can afford to live on Long Island it's hard not to love being there.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,138,684 times
Quote:
Hey....what comes to mind is voting for someone b/c they're going to save us $20 a year on gas...geeezzz
Or voting for some vague idea like change.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,304,921 times
Quote:
I find that funny right there...lol. That anyone can be so effected by what someone writes here. Those people will soon be those with ulcers.

As always thanks for your measured comments Mr. Buildz. In my defense, I just sometimes tire of the attacking tone the board can take and find myself drawn into being more negative than I really am. This results in a hiatus at times. As you said, I am just another Bozo ...

As for the political matter, I was keying my vote to whomever could get my pesky mortgage taken care of .

Old 05-06-2008, 11:39 AM

245 posts, read 298,202 times
Default Keeping it simple?

Quote:
See it for what it is...a microcosm of different parts of our society.
If nothing else "use it" as a wake up call for the deficencies in all of us. No one's exempt. It just comes in different shapes and sizes.

The thing I find hysterically funny are political threads where one person thinks they're going to change another persons mind. I mean does anyone really belive they can do that???LOL.
As you implied...I think it's more of an ego thing. How much more they know then you do. Little do they realize that we're "all" Bozos on the bus. The moment we all recognize that...then the better off we'll be.
I find you really do attract people with honey rather than with bitterness and negativity.Unfortunatly one needs to be able to read between the lines because even in that genre there are the un-authentic postive people trying to push a point....like you see in politicians.
I think if we can keep it simple we'd be a whole lot better off.
I think that keeping things simple means keeping things dumb. And while you are busy being simple, someone controlling things is busy effecting a complex system. You've handed them the keys.

There is a difference between "bashing" and "arguing." Arguing is constructive. I have a point and I try to substantiate it. If someone tells me what they need to know to agree with my point, then my next move is to get the information or to shut up. That is argumentation.

Bashing is repeating an opinion with no constructive purpose other than to run something down.

It also makes sense that people not liking constantly repeated opinions withdraw. There are sociological theories that explain that phenomenon, one is termed "The Spiral of Silence." This theory suggests that as one opinion appears increasingly to be the majority opinion, the minority opinion self-silences because of the perception that they will be quieted or rejected.

As the nay-sayers virtually took over this forum, I decided to start arguing with them because I knew they weren't doing anything constructive. They were griping. 60 year olds sitting in their Del-Webb neighborhood grousing about not being able to afford the Dix Hills taxes. To heck with them. I'm glad the tenor around here has changed.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,104,695 times
Quote:

:
Andi, it's not that it "effects" me what people write. It is that it is simply a waste of my time to come on here and sort thru the garbage. I like helping people, I appreciate being helped in a forum setting. But when the LI forum becomes full of trolling, LI bashing posts, I have better things to do with my time. I suspect JRProfess feels the same way. I don't think it is giving him (or myself) an ulcer by far. Just a plain waste of my time.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
As always thanks for your measured comments Mr. Buildz. In my defense, I just sometimes tire of the attacking tone the board can take and find myself drawn into being more negative than I really am. This results in a hiatus at times. As you said, I am just another Bozo ...

As for the political matter, I was keying my vote to whomever could get my pesky mortgage taken care of .
I didn't see this reply when I wrote my reply above.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Moderator cut: quoted post

I personally am a fan of moderated boards and forum rules. I don't find it too many rules to abide by at all. I have been on boards that were not moderated and they are atrocious with nastiness and fighting. I just wish the moderation would go both ways, hence my suggestion. If trolls were moderated, if posters who are not looking to be community minded and constructive were moderated, I think that would solve most of the problems on this board. JMO

Last edited by Beretta; 05-06-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: quoted post was deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island