Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:25 PM

37 posts, read 47,128 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Merrick but don't know much about the area. Can anyone tell me the difference between north merrick and south merrick. Also where is merrick woods. i heard that is a desirable place to look?

Is it true that south of sunrise you will need flood insurance but not north??

Any pros or cons to moving to merrick vs say for ex plainview.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:44 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
It’s loaded with Karen’s.
Yes, southern portion can be flood. Check the flood maps. Don’t rely on realtor listing info.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:31 AM

1,218 posts, read 528,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yes, southern portion can be flood. Check the flood maps. Don’t rely on realtor listing info.
And remember that the flooding is an occasional risk. The Karens are out every single day. Better not let your lawn grow more than 3 inches or any garbage get out of your can.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:32 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
We are thinking about moving to Merrick but don't know much about the area. Can anyone tell me the difference between north merrick and south merrick. Also where is merrick woods. i heard that is a desirable place to look?

What about Merrick appeals to you? What are you looking in terms of a home? What is your budget? Since you know little about Merrick, if you answer these questions, we might better be able to help.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:16 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:

Not all south of sunrise is flood zone. Gotta check fema map

Do you need city access? One advantage of Merrick over Plainview is they have a train station, Plainview doesnt

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 02-06-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-06-2021, 10:03 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,278,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not all south of sunrise is flood zone. Gotta check fema map

Do you need city access? One advantage of Merrick over Plainview is they have a train station, Plainview doesnt
Not an issue in Plainview, Hicksville and Bethpage are never more than 10 min of you live on the backend almost in Woodbury csh and syosset are under 10 minutes.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:05 AM

Also is there a big difference in the schools - since there is more than one elementary, middle and high school.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:20 AM

We have been looking in the north shore for awhile but haven't found anything we like. We are looking for 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath colonial or ranch in a good school district with a decent backyard. Our budget is around $1M- 1.1MM. We like that Merrick is closer to the beach than the north shore in addition to having a good school district. Also we are jewish (by tradition but not religious) and while alot of neighborhoods today are diverse which is what we are looking for some aren't. Someone suggested Merrick but they haven't lived in the neighborhood for awhile. I also heard some mixed things about Merrick which is why we are trying to see if this is the right neighborhood for us. We don't need city access.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:35 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
We have been looking in the north shore for awhile but haven't found anything we like. We are looking for 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath colonial or ranch in a good school district with a decent backyard. Our budget is around $1M- 1.1MM. We like that Merrick is closer to the beach than the north shore in addition to having a good school district. Also we are jewish (by tradition but not religious) and while alot of neighborhoods today are diverse which is what we are looking for some aren't. Someone suggested Merrick but they haven't lived in the neighborhood for awhile. I also heard some mixed things about Merrick which is why we are trying to see if this is the right neighborhood for us. We don't need city access.
Merrick is good. Solid school district. Mixed bag of people, lots of jewish people. I grew up in the “riv” & my public school experience was great, i had friends of all colors & religions.

I no longer live in that area - not b/c I didn’t like it - just b/c life took me to a different town. I think you would be happy in Merrick. Your budget will get you a really nice house.

What are the negative things you have heard about it?

Old 02-06-2021, 12:40 PM

297 posts, read 193,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Confederate flag on front yard does the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island