Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:57 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
100% fact
I’ve worked with hundreds of these guys over the years.
Every last one of them sent money “home”.
Or, save every penny they can and go “home” with big American dollars and live like a king in their homeland.
People are cheap and selfish, they’ll hire these guys “on the side” for cash at a cheaper rate than paying a legit business. Then these guys just ferret the cash. They don’t pay tax or claim a single penny of it. But they’ll sure make good use of whatever tax payer funded program they can, and even though they’re “undocumented” this stupid country still takes care of them.
It’s the fault of people who hire them. Always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
It’s the fault of people who hire them. Always has been.
Yes and no. If they weren’t here, they wouldn’t be able to hire them.
That goes for business and citizens that hire these people.
There’s guilt across the board.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:19 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Capitalism at work.
It should not be up to the federal government to decide.
But I'm assuming even $25/hr is exploitation compared to employing a legal worker.
I'm assuming you are in contracting so big demand.
But those illegal bus boys will not be making $15/hr.

And the great economy in the past 4 years due to Trump, trickling down to everyone even exploited illegals.
Not sure if you're being serious here?

In any event, in re: to "Capitalism at work", capitalism is one thing, & the free market fundamentalist styled is another.

If a working definition of free market fundamentalist capitalism is that it has one incentive only, i.e. the basic profit-driven incentive to charge as much money as possible for providing as few goods & services as possible, then ...

where is the end game? & are we there yet?

Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yes and no. If they weren’t here, they wouldn’t be able to hire them.
That goes for business and citizens that hire these people.
There’s guilt across the board.
What came first the chicken or the egg? Only the true refugees would come here if there was any way to legitimize businesses. Too many rogue “businessman” that take advantage of disadvantaged humans.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:32 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I am very aware of the healthcare system rules, laws & regulations. Much more than the average person. Yes, It IS judged by our pocketbooks (maybe not yours) As YOU stated “Get sick & go BK”. Trust me, I pay my share between Co-Pays, premiums, deductibles, RX. Like NEVER before! Unfortunately, I’m not qualified for subsidies.

We already have socialized medicine in this country. And I'm not talking just about Medi*** programs that are obviously socialized medicine. Do you pretend that those don't exist?”
Of COURSE they exist! It’s called Obamacare! It’s called government subsidies, other programs the list goes on. As stated above, unfortunately I don’t qualify. Just another form of redistribution of wealth (Since that didn’t work). Don’t get me wrong, many do need help! Can’t deny one of healthcare.

$63 for an aspirin? I’m not the one with tunnel vision. Do you know what’s involved just to administer an aspirin? The paperwork/notes alone! $63 is a bargain!
My point is that you are not looking at the entire picture... it's too easy for you to try and make socialized medicine the ultimate evil thing. I'm pointing out that it isn't and you're glossing over my points making random other points that don't address what I am saying.

I pay my fair share, too... even put money aside every paycheck to cover potential future healthcare costs. It's all well and good UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS... my HSA is GONE with 1 hospital trip. My joke about the $63 aspirin was just that - everything is way overinflated. It's not Obamacare, it's not Medicare, or Medicaid. It's not ONE thing that is wrong. ACA isn't completely gone because the people who want it gone don't have a better answer... all they can say is ACA needs to go and I want to go back to what I had before. Like with everything else, of course we want to go back to the good ole days. But, we can't... the cows have come home to get their milk back because we have given too many people free healthcare for too long ON OUR BACKS... the ones who pay for healthcare.

Even you admit "Can't deny one of healthcare."... well, sure that's easy to say... how about telling me how we pay for it? Forcing everyone to buy insurance was sure a start... but no, that's ridiculous... I want my little dinky policy that covers nothing... or better yet, why have any insurance at all when I can just bring my baby to the ER for an ear infection and get what I need for free. No preventive care at all, no annual physicals, no doctor visits until they are at a point where they need emergency care. It's not a redistribution of wealth, it's families making an informed decision based on what they have in front of them. If we don't require people to have health insurance, the ones who have it are going to cover the costs for those that don't. It's very simple.

At the highest level there is only really 2 ways to fix the out of control healthcare costs... either start turning people away at hospitals because they don't have coverage (think 3rd world country) or go to universal healthcare for all. It's not free any way you slice it and we (those with insurance that pay our healthcare bills) are funding it for everyone who doesn't. We are doing that NOW... but socialized medicine is the bad thing.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times
MikeyKid,
I couldn’t agree more. There’s no right or wrong answers. Unfortunately, us middle class pay for everything. When you have nothing, you have nothing to worry about. However, Not my lifestyle.
All the best my friend!

Old 03-03-2021, 05:57 PM

592 posts, read 919,133 times
Quote:
I was hoping to go to Home Depot and it not looking like a place to pick up illegal workers. I was hoping that the American worker would get a fat increase in pay. What I got was price gouged on materials and unemployment numbers that make Obama look godly. At least rich doctors got to keep more of their money but, many have to fear for their lives due to a huge spike in hate crimes toward Asians.
Yeah, all those MAGA guys attacking Asians, lol

Old 03-03-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Yeah, all those MAGA guys attacking Asians, lol
Perhaps. They are all mentally ill though and as we all know there is a strong correlation. It’s not really funny though.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:29 PM

592 posts, read 919,133 times
Quote:
Perhaps. They are all mentally ill though and as we all know there is a strong correlation. It’s not really funny though.
The attacks aren’t funny but the correlation to MAGA guys is and I’m not even a MAGA guy. Keep up the propaganda, it just makes everyone minimize your opinion.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:45 PM

193 posts, read 271,001 times
Quite masterful how the wealthy have pitted the working class against each other, over crumbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: