Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 11:00 AM

81 posts, read 126,804 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So we finally are about to close on a house in Roslyn Heights.

I have a few questions below which I'd appreciate if anyone with experience on any of these topics can provide their input. Thanks a lot!!

Lawn care:
What are the typical costs for lawn care? On a smaller lot in Queens we pay $20 a week for cutting, 150ish for spring/fall cleanup and an extra 25 four times during the fall to clean up the leaves. What do you think my new costs will be? I will fertilize and maintain my lawn myself otherwise. I'm not looking for perfection. Also, if you have any recommendations in the area, please feel free to post them!

Sprinklers:
I haven't had sprinklers in the past but from what I know you have to have someone 'open' and 'close' it every year. How much does this typically cost? Are there any other costs associated with it throughout the year?

Utilities:
Are there multiple providers in the area or is it like NYC where ConEd holds the monopoly on electric/gas delivery?

Security System:
The house uses ADT but they're quite expensive and require a contract. Technology also seems old. I feel like there are better alternatives these days. We have the Ring doorbell, cameras and floodlight cameras at my parents house and it works great. I haven't tried their alarm system but they seem to have everything available for a full security suite. Someone else recommended I can use the existing system with another provider that is cheaper than ADT. Any suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 12:46 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,912,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislanddude View Post
Hi,

So we finally are about to close on a house in Roslyn Heights.

I have a few questions below which I'd appreciate if anyone with experience on any of these topics can provide their input. Thanks a lot!!

Lawn care:
What are the typical costs for lawn care? On a smaller lot in Queens we pay $20 a week for cutting, 150ish for spring/fall cleanup and an extra 25 four times during the fall to clean up the leaves. What do you think my new costs will be? I will fertilize and maintain my lawn myself otherwise. I'm not looking for perfection. Also, if you have any recommendations in the area, please feel free to post them!

Sprinklers:
I haven't had sprinklers in the past but from what I know you have to have someone 'open' and 'close' it every year. How much does this typically cost? Are there any other costs associated with it throughout the year?

Utilities:
Are there multiple providers in the area or is it like NYC where ConEd holds the monopoly on electric/gas delivery?

Security System:
The house uses ADT but they're quite expensive and require a contract. Technology also seems old. I feel like there are better alternatives these days. We have the Ring doorbell, cameras and floodlight cameras at my parents house and it works great. I haven't tried their alarm system but they seem to have everything available for a full security suite. Someone else recommended I can use the existing system with another provider that is cheaper than ADT. Any suggestions on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
I used to live in Albertson, bit moved 8 years ago. I will answer the questions I can for you, because my costs will be off. I used J & A for the sprinklers and they were very reasonable for the turn on and off. If you have not closed yet, I would ask the homeowner if they do the backflow test. Depending upon how long they have had their sprinklers they might be grandfathered in and not need it. We needed it and my next door neighbor did not. If you need an annual back flow valve test and they can do that too. It used to be $65. Be sure to ask if they will submit the results to the water district or if you have to.

PSEG is the sole electric provider on LI and National Grid is the gas provider.

My advice to you is to go with the Ring for a while and see how you feel about it. You may feel comfortable enough to go with just that and forgo the ADT type connection.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 PM

817 posts, read 753,881 times
You should also ask this question in the local Parent Facebook groups & the NextDoor App.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:01 AM

35 posts, read 21,414 times
sprinkler seems to be from 60-75 each spring startup, fall drain down.
lawn care more in the 25-30 per week for cutting, edging. clean ups about the same 150.
I like to drive around and see who is doing most work in the neighborhood, they should probably be a little cheaper.
you usually get what you pay for, I had 1,000 for season, cutting only, to 3,500 took care of everything, lawn looked like Yankee stadium.

i installed ring in myhouse, it was all wireless, i declined the monitoring, but you can add it.
only down side maybe you have to replace the sensor batteries every year or few? didnt have it that long yet.
i am sure it is not the most secure, but should suffice.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:05 PM

782 posts, read 1,408,837 times
Lawn care: $25- $30 per week for cut and edge

Sprinklers: $50- $75 to winterize depends on how many zones you have. Don't pay to open. Basically you are paying someone $50 to turn a handle

Utilities: PSEGLI for Electricity and National Grid for Gas. Oil Meenan\Petro if you have old equipment

Security System: Ring security, easy DIY install and monitoring is $10 a month.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 707,591 times
I love my ring for security. Cutting I don’t know. Pacific lawn sprinklers 65 to blow out the lines. Turn the system on yourself just research it first. It’s easy. You just can’t turn it on full right away. (Research it). I maintain my own lawn so couldn’t tell you that price. Easy and entertains me.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:04 AM

81 posts, read 126,804 times
Thanks to all for your input! I will stick with Ring for now. The cost for sprinklers is lower than I thought but I will see what I can do myself vs hiring someone. Looks like I should only need it to close it out and figure out how to open it myself.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:27 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,512,724 times
Turning on and off the sprinkler is not rocket science, its literally turning a handle on a knob/valve.

I have an air compressor and blow out my own sprinkler before each winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: