Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 10:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,949 times

Advertisements

I live in LI, in NHP. I'm looking to buy a house for my parents and sisters (no kids, so great school district is not necessary). How safe are Elmont, VS and FS. My budget only allows me to buy in those areas. Is all Elmont bad? is all VS bad? I'm looking for something no more than 10 min driving from NHP. So, I just want to know what areas in these neighborhoods should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 05:31 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
They are all safe. I can't think of any areas that are a must to stay away from.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:13 AM

690 posts, read 584,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaneEsp View Post
I live in LI, in NHP. I'm looking to buy a house for my parents and sisters (no kids, so great school district is not necessary). How safe are Elmont, VS and FS. My budget only allows me to buy in those areas. Is all Elmont bad? is all VS bad? I'm looking for something no more than 10 min driving from NHP. So, I just want to know what areas in these neighborhoods should I avoid?
While I wouldn't classify elmont or VS as unsafe, I would describe them as not as desirable as FS. Full transparency that I live in FS, so I may be biased. Elmont has declined significantly in the last few decades in many ways, especially aesthetically. VS has some very nice neighborhoods, I believe by fireman's field (I'm sure someone will correct me) , but also has some very undesirable areas as well. VS and elmont, being the first towns over from some less than stellar Queens neighborhoods, does have a certain element that comes along with that.

I'm also sending you a private message.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:53 AM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
If you are living in NHP, you should be well aware of what Elmont is these days and why it should not be on your list?
Very rare (I guess welcomed) that a prospective buyer would consider homes in Elmont or Franklin Square.
Elmont has trended downward quite a bit recently and as with all things on the housing/life on the Island, it's racial.
There's a perception that the decline is due to the influx of blacks and latinos and there's certainly some truth to that. Elmont along Hempstead Tpke (especially at Elmont Road) looks absolutely disgusting.

It is a big mistake for a buyer in these times/with the prices of homes now to say great school district is not necessary...there is a huge correlation between home values, school district performance and general value of the community.

What is your budget? You might want to look into Lynbrook.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:59 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
While I wouldn't classify elmont or VS as unsafe, I would describe them as not as desirable as FS..
Agree. Just driving around the area you can see one is more desirable than the other IMHO.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:00 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I
It is a big mistake for a buyer in these times/with the prices of homes now to say great school district is not necessary...there is a huge correlation between home values, school district performance and general value of the community.

Agree.

And there's always re-sale to think about.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:49 AM

21 posts, read 16,598 times
Elmont has declined in recent years. It sits right on the borderline with not-so-great surrounding Queens neighborhoods. However, not the same can be said for areas located on the east side of Elmont. You should consider driving through the area to get a tour since you are not far and check the crime mapping stats, as well as other online resources to get a sense of safety. I also agree that a good school district should be considered a top criteria when house searching because it is one of the main drivers of a quality neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
You should also consider Malverne. Homes are well-maintained, home values are stable. Residents send their kids to private parochial schools. Valley Stream is similar. VS is genuinely diverse with whites also sending their kids to parochial schools outside of the area. The schools consist of POC with Asian and African/Caribbean immigrant children in the honors classes.

Elmont is a lost cause.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 4,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altidelete View Post
Elmont has declined in recent years. It sits right on the borderline with not-so-great surrounding Queens neighborhoods. However, not the same can be said for areas located on the east side of Elmont. You should consider driving through the area to get a tour since you are not far and check the crime mapping stats, as well as other online resources to get a sense of safety. I also agree that a good school district should be considered a top criteria when house searching because it is one of the main drivers of a quality neighborhood.
So where is the east side of ELmont?

Old 04-12-2021, 10:30 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Valley Stream Crime
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Elmont
Franklin Square
All 3 have significantly lower crime rates than NYS and the national average.

Last edited by Yac; 04-13-2021 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island