U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 6,183 times

Advertisements

After living all around the U.S., my fiancée and I are thinking of returning to Long Island and commuting into midtown. I’m originally from the East End and am honestly reluctant about moving “up-Island” (what people east of riverhead call the rest of the island)... there is no Nassau/Suffolk distinction, everyone is just called “up-islanders,” usually with a smirk

Are there up-island towns that somewhat capture the small town vibe of the east end that is still a reasonable LIRR commute? Cold Spring Harbor is on my radar, as is Oyster Bay / Locust Valley... but the latter two are on a train line that seems quite slow.

My fiancée is Asian American and assuming we have kids, I also think maybe they’d be happier in a school environment that is more diverse like Great Neck, of course small town charm doesn’t seem to be a thing there. Maybe what I want doesn’t exist, or requires going off island, but it’d be nice to hear that too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 04:08 AM

633 posts, read 309,362 times
Pricey areas like Old Field....

Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,351,039 times
Maybe Sea Cliff? (It does have a whiff of small town charm to it.)

What is your optimal door-to-door one way commute time?

Old 05-05-2021, 05:51 AM

82 posts, read 30,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Pricey areas like Old Field....
Old Field might as well be east of Riverhead. OP is looking to commute via train to New York.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:42 AM

4,561 posts, read 8,237,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m111307L View Post
After living all around the U.S., my fiancée and I are thinking of returning to Long Island and commuting into midtown. I’m originally from the East End and am honestly reluctant about moving “up-Island” (what people east of riverhead call the rest of the island)... there is no Nassau/Suffolk distinction, everyone is just called “up-islanders,” usually with a smirk

Are there up-island towns that somewhat capture the small town vibe of the east end that is still a reasonable LIRR commute? Cold Spring Harbor is on my radar, as is Oyster Bay / Locust Valley... but the latter two are on a train line that seems quite slow.

My fiancée is Asian American and assuming we have kids, I also think maybe they’d be happier in a school environment that is more diverse like Great Neck, of course small town charm doesn’t seem to be a thing there. Maybe what I want doesn’t exist, or requires going off island, but it’d be nice to hear that too!
Small town vibe means different things to different people. What exactly are you looking for? Walkability? Acces to ocean/bay? Large swaths of CSH and Locust Valley consist of houses on huge plots where you can't even see your neighbors. Oyster Bay isn't quite the same, but Oyster Bay Cove is. That doesn't exactly scream "small town" to me, but to each his own.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:22 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,245,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m111307L View Post

Sea Cliff is east end-y.

Forget about Great Neck, there's nothing east endy there.
And speaking as an asian myself, you will be doing your kids a disservice by having them go to great neck from an academic standpoint. The asian tiger kids are super competitive, and unless your kids are brilliant, they will be just another asian kid from great neck when colleges are looking at the millions of asian applicants. And the reality is asians need to standout more than other applicants, since we are held to higher academic standards. Its better to stand out in a non asian dominated school district. This is one reason I moved to Roslyn. Although by the time my kids hit highschool , it might be like GN with all the new asians that move in every year.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 17,153,608 times
Bayville?

Old 05-05-2021, 09:51 AM

7,035 posts, read 3,793,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Sea Cliff is east end-y.

Forget about Great Neck, there's nothing east endy there.
And speaking as an asian myself, you will be doing your kids a disservice by having them go to great neck from an academic standpoint. The asian tiger kids are super competitive, and unless your kids are brilliant, they will be just another asian kid from great neck when colleges are looking at the millions of asian applicants.And the reality is asians need to standout more than other applicants, since we are held to higher academic standards. Its better to stand out in a non asian dominated school district. This is one reason I moved to Roslyn. Although by the time my kids hit highschool , it might be like GN with all the new asians that move in every year.

I had to smile, ruefully, when I read this. I was reminded of going to school in NYC in the 1950's and 1960's. Substitute Jewish for Asians and NYC for Great Neck.

This is how the world moves on. Different quotas.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:11 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,245,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I had to smile, ruefully, when I read this. I was reminded of going to school in NYC in the 1950's and 1960's. Substitute Jewish for Asians and NYC for Great Neck.

This is how the world moves on. Different quotas.

There's a reason why the asians tend to move to where jewish people have established (great neck, roslyn, syosset, etc). We all value education and hard work. We get demonized for our success, but thats life and like you said the world moves on.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:48 PM

9,788 posts, read 21,970,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Bayville?

I commuted from Bayville for six months and do not recommend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island