Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 44,974 times

Advertisements

We are an Asian American family looking to move to LI. We have narrowed our search to two very different towns (mostly for the similar price point and the commute) - Garden City and Port Washington.

We are financially and politically conservative, which we feel would be a better fit for Garden City. At the same time, Port is more diverse and seems more welcoming for non-white/catholic families. That said, seems like the Asian population in GC has been going up, and in the primary schools is over 10% now. On paper, we like GC more. It seems like a very well run, conservative town. Port has a lifestyle though that works better for working families.

Will our kids be accepted in GC? Will more conservative families be accepted in Port?

Anyone here have faced a similar choice and made a decision one way or the other? Would love to get opinions either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 05:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
As far as commuting, GC has access to several rail lines via their Hempstead Branch stops or a quick drive to Mineola which acts as a hub. Port Washington has one line which bypasses Jamaica on its way to Penn Station. 9f you're Mets fans, it also stops at the stadium and you'll be going the opposite direction of the throngs of headed to Woodside when leaving.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:01 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
If you prefer GC live there. You won’t have any problem being Asian. As you noted the population is growing (we sold to Asians 11 years ago!)

GC has the better commute due to multiple train lines. Miss one train jump on the other line. Most houses are walkable to at least one train station.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:52 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
There are plenty of Asians in both towns. Pick the one you like better.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:24 AM

185 posts, read 109,899 times
Honestly, they are both nice towns.

In GC, no one will care that you are Asian or any other race. It will be weirder that you’re not Catholic. But I think GC places more emphasis on team sports than PW. It seems to be more of an issue for boys than girls so it depends on what gender your kids are. If you’re a sporty family, then you will like GC and you will be welcome to play on sports teams. However, travel teams can get cliquey.

If your kid will be involved in music, GC has a great orchestra and band program. If your kids really like art there is a spot for them. But at the end of the day there are the kids who play multiple team sports and then there is everyone else. And that’s just fine, the other programs are robust, the academics are strong, and the community is welcoming. Just know what you’re getting into.

Last edited by Parsifal; 06-28-2021 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 11:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Pick any town you like and move there. PW is more liberal, so GC is better if you are conservative.

I'm asian and my parents moved us from Queens to Great Neck in 1984. There were barely any asians back then in Great Neck and I turned out fine (doctor).

I personally think its a detriment to grow up in a majority asian neighborhood. There will be some racism here and there, but that's life, and it builds character. And if you move to GC, buy your sons lacrosse sticks (right now) because if you are not born with a lacrosse stick in your hands in GC, you are at a major disadvantage.

Last edited by 85dumbo; 06-28-2021 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,150 times
Port is considerably more liberal then GC. If that matters enough for you to list it here you should probably focus on GC.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:14 AM

15 posts, read 22,111 times
Have you ruled out Great Neck or Manhasset?

Those are often mentioned in the same breath when making these decisions as the LIRR commute is similar (slightly shorter than PW and GC), schools are similarly excellent, slightly more expensive I guess but pretty close.

Also, Rockville Centre is kind of like GC with slightly lower COL, schools slightly worse (but still good! I went to them and did well and plenty of people ended up at Ivies/selective schools) and great NYC access. I don't think RVC's schools are all that different from PW, both are probably a small bit below Great Neck/Manhasset/GC but still really good.

I am politically moderate to slightly conservative and found Port too liberal though I wouldn't rule it out solely on that basis. GC is nice but I think the North Shore is nicer than South Shore.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:35 AM

185 posts, read 109,899 times
It’s not North or South Shore but East Williston is a really lovely smaller school district. It’s northeast of Garden City and east of Mineola. It has its own train station (it’s on the Oyster Bay line) but it’s close enough to Mineola (the Nassau County transpiration hub) to drive and commute from there.

For daycare, the Romper Room preschool is right there (I don’t have personal experience with it but I’ve heard good things) http://www.romperroomschool.com/

Last edited by Parsifal; 07-04-2021 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Added nursery/preschool link

Old 07-06-2021, 01:05 AM

787 posts, read 485,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeAt-127.0.0.1 View Post
We are an Asian American family looking to move to LI. We have narrowed our search to two very different towns (mostly for the similar price point and the commute) - Garden City and Port Washington.

We are financially and politically conservative, which we feel would be a better fit for Garden City. At the same time, Port is more diverse and seems more welcoming for non-white/catholic families. That said, seems like the Asian population in GC has been going up, and in the primary schools is over 10% now. On paper, we like GC more. It seems like a very well run, conservative town. Port has a lifestyle though that works better for working families.

Will our kids be accepted in GC? Will more conservative families be accepted in Port?

Anyone here have faced a similar choice and made a decision one way or the other? Would love to get opinions either way.
C'mon, let's be honest here. You know damn well in the long run staying in the white catholic area is better off. It's not like you're back in 5th grade and it's 1985 with few asians around. Asians follow whites (as far as neighborhoods) so don't switch lanes now. While PW is ok, as you say it's becoming more diverse (black/hispanic, foreign). Take your chances with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island