Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 06:39 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
The whole section is small. it's the areas off Melville road once you hit Suffolk. All HHH zoned homes in Farmingdale are in Town of Babylon. The ones that are 20k are only going to be in the Melville Court, yes the homes in the back zoned Plainview have way higher taxes. That is also a very nice development and those houses are 3k-3300 sq ft and sell around 900k. The homes on the other side of Melville rd have pretty good taxes for LI.
All the homes in front are “Melville court” (an HOA) Suffolk/farmingdale.

Back section is a newer development and not part of the HOA. Half the homes in the back are Suffolk/farmingdale. Those are in the $20k tax range. The other half of the homes in back are still farmingdale, but nassau. Same home on nassau side was 25-30% higher taxes last time I looked. The county line literally runs down the center of the development in the back.

Yes… In the scheme of things, these developments and the homes on the other side of Melville rd are a small section of farmingdale. It is, however, important to understand these differences when looking at homes in farmingdale. There are different counties, different school districts, and the inside/outside the incorporated village points to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 07:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
All the homes in front are “Melville court” (an HOA) Suffolk/farmingdale.

Back section is a newer development and not part of the HOA. Half the homes in the back are Suffolk/farmingdale. Those are in the $20k tax range. The other half of the homes in back are still farmingdale, but nassau. Same home on nassau side was 25-30% higher taxes last time I looked. The county line literally runs down the center of the development in the back.

Yes… In the scheme of things, these developments and the homes on the other side of Melville rd are a small section of farmingdale. It is, however, important to understand these differences when looking at homes in farmingdale. There are different counties, different school districts, and the inside/outside the incorporated village points to consider.
The homes in the back not in the HOA, some of them pay taxes to both Oyster Bay and Babylon. I looked at 5 properties 3 in the HOA and 2 not. 2 I looked at had the "option" to choose either Plainview or HHH schools. I inquired about the taxes as both homes had kids in Plainview. Taxes where 27k same home w/o the option (no HOA) was 19k. It didn't matter what district you where in, that tax bill was staying at 27k. It's some strange agreement where you had to pay taxes to Plainview no matter what. Kind of moronic to have a development that 200 Homes go to one SD and 20 go to a different one.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The homes in the back not in the HOA, some of them pay taxes to both Oyster Bay and Babylon. I looked at 5 properties 3 in the HOA and 2 not. 2 I looked at had the "option" to choose either Plainview or HHH schools. I inquired about the taxes as both homes had kids in Plainview. Taxes where 27k same home w/o the option (no HOA) was 19k. It didn't matter what district you where in, that tax bill was staying at 27k. It's some strange agreement where you had to pay taxes to Plainview no matter what. Kind of moronic to have a development that 200 Homes go to one SD and 20 go to a different one.
The houses you looked at where they paid taxes to both must have been right on the county line. There are two or three homes that would apply to. The rest of the homes have no choice - it's either one or the other. They are firmly in one county.

$19k for the Suffolk side (back section) sounds about right, depending on the home. There are three different models in that section, and lot sizes vary. The larger models with the bigger lots are over $20k now (I remember when they were under $10k).

$27k also sounds about right for the same home on the Nassau side. Insane, but that's how it is around here. I didn't realize the Nassau vs Suffolk gap had grown that large.

Yes, it is moronic to have the area split. The Nassau homes (about 25 total) are an "island" of Nassau surrounded by Suffolk. Some of the local services are contracted out to Suffolk suppliers. I wasn't aware homes on the line had to pay taxes to two school districts. I'd have to think it was somehow pro-rated by % of property in each county... it can't be paying full school taxes to two districts.

However, it's not the developer's fault. I know him and he would have loved to just deal with one town/county. Dealing with two different governments only made things more complicated. Nassau owns that small triangle of land and would not give it up.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The houses you looked at where they paid taxes to both must have been right on the county line. There are two or three homes that would apply to. The rest of the homes have no choice - it's either one or the other. They are firmly in one county.

$19k for the Suffolk side (back section) sounds about right, depending on the home. There are three different models in that section, and lot sizes vary. The larger models with the bigger lots are over $20k now (I remember when they were under $10k).

$27k also sounds about right for the same home on the Nassau side. Insane, but that's how it is around here. I didn't realize the Nassau vs Suffolk gap had grown that large.

Yes, it is moronic to have the area split. The Nassau homes (about 25 total) are an "island" of Nassau surrounded by Suffolk. Some of the local services are contracted out to Suffolk suppliers. I wasn't aware homes on the line had to pay taxes to two school districts. I'd have to think it was somehow pro-rated by % of property in each county... it can't be paying full school taxes to two districts.

However, it's not the developer's fault. I know him and he would have loved to just deal with one town/county. Dealing with two different governments only made things more complicated. Nassau owns that small triangle of land and would not give it up.
It's a percentage only a small portion goes to Babylon for the general taxes. It's a mess, the taxes aren't really a nassau v suffolk gap it's the SD. I have lived in both SD, I pay about the same for my Suffolk house that's 1400 sq ft larger on a slightly larger lot. My home is new construction vs a 1955 home in Nassau. One district is one of the lowest taxed districts the other is on the higher end.

I didn't knw suffolk serviced this area. I assumed it was stupid and nassau popo and Plainview fire reported. I was never serious enough to buy cause the taxes to ask those questions.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
It's a percentage only a small portion goes to Babylon for the general taxes. It's a mess, the taxes aren't really a nassau v suffolk gap it's the SD. I have lived in both SD, I pay about the same for my Suffolk house that's 1400 sq ft larger on a slightly larger lot. My home is new construction vs a 1955 home in Nassau. One district is one of the lowest taxed districts the other is on the higher end.
Yes, it's the school district. Since property and school are rolled into one bill, I think in terms of the total amount. This particular area is, however, a great place to see the difference between Nassau and Suffolk. The Nassau side is Plainview/Old Bethpage SD. The Suffolk side is HHH. Both well-rated districts, arguably the same "quality." Same exact home, built at the same time, on a similar property size... Nassau is going to cost you 30% more in total taxes. Is the Old Bethpage SD 30% better? (Rhetorical)

Quote:
I didn't knw suffolk serviced this area. I assumed it was stupid and nassau popo and Plainview fire reported. I was never serious enough to buy cause the taxes to ask those questions.
FD is definitely East Farmingdale. Garbage collection is Town of Babylon (private contractor). Water is all Farmingdale Water District.

Not sure about police - Suffolk PD does patrol the area (very infrequently). There has been a Nassau PD car there once or twice in the past 20 years. Sometimes both PDs will respond when the call is that close to the county line, regardless of which department is responsible for coverage.

The area is all on the same sewer system, which I have to believe is all Suffolk... they just extended the lines from the already existing Melville Court development which is all Suffolk.

Snow removal is contracted out. For some reason, I think it may be a different plow for the Nassau side.

But yes, it is a strange setup. I guess Nassau couldn't let the income from 25 houses slip away. The entire section should definitely be Suffolk.

Which homes were you looking at in the back section? Carnation Drive or Boxwood?

Old 07-22-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's the school district. Since property and school are rolled into one bill, I think in terms of the total amount. This particular area is, however, a great place to see the difference between Nassau and Suffolk. The Nassau side is Plainview/Old Bethpage SD. The Suffolk side is HHH. Both well-rated districts, arguably the same "quality." Same exact home, built at the same time, on a similar property size... Nassau is going to cost you 30% more in total taxes. Is the Old Bethpage SD 30% better? (Rhetorical)

FD is definitely East Farmingdale. Garbage collection is Town of Babylon (private contractor). Water is all Farmingdale Water District.

Not sure about police - Suffolk PD does patrol the area (very infrequently). There has been a Nassau PD car there once or twice in the past 20 years. Sometimes both PDs will respond when the call is that close to the county line, regardless of which department is responsible for coverage.

The area is all on the same sewer system, which I have to believe is all Suffolk... they just extended the lines from the already existing Melville Court development which is all Suffolk.

Snow removal is contracted out. For some reason, I think it may be a different plow for the Nassau side.

But yes, it is a strange setup. I guess Nassau couldn't let the income from 25 houses slip away. The entire section should definitely be Suffolk.

Which homes were you looking at in the back section? Carnation Drive or Boxwood?
I looked on Carnation, and the back end of Dafodil, IIRC it didn't have a HOA. We liked how it backed up to the woods from Bethpage state park.

I found my notes when I was looking over there. Those are present day taxes rounded up and down. It's crazy that identical homes have such a diff tax bill. It was one in that area the 2 homes that had an option of SD. I had written down 5 or 6 homes have the option of SD. I was trying to escape the stupid taxes in POB we had no interest in those properties. This development could be a case study on costs in diff SD on LI.

On Carnation
305 POB 40k 110% has to pay some Babylon taxes on 3/4 acre. pretty sure we looked at this.
314 HHH 21k
315 POB 33k
316 HHH 21k
317 POB 33k
320 HHH -
321 POB 32k

Old 07-22-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I looked on Carnation, and the back end of Dafodil, IIRC it didn't have a HOA. We liked how it backed up to the woods from Bethpage state park.

I found my notes when I was looking over there. Those are present day taxes rounded up and down. It's crazy that identical homes have such a diff tax bill. It was one in that area the 2 homes that had an option of SD. I had written down 5 or 6 homes have the option of SD. I was trying to escape the stupid taxes in POB we had no interest in those properties. This development could be a case study on costs in diff SD on LI.

On Carnation
305 POB 40k 110% has to pay some Babylon taxes on 3/4 acre. pretty sure we looked at this.
314 HHH 21k
315 POB 33k
316 HHH 21k
317 POB 33k
320 HHH -
321 POB 32k
305 was 40K? Insane. I knew the original owners. I guess they asked for that after all the money they dropped on the property. I think property tax is an absurd concept to begin with (effectively it mean you don't own - you are just renting the property from the government). It's even more insane that simply improving your property can increase taxes so much.

By your numbers, the Nassau side is about 50% higher than the Suffolk side. Definitely a case study in government absurdity.

The suffolk side is bad enough. I don't blame you for running after seeing the Nassau taxes.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
305 was 40K? Insane. I knew the original owners. I guess they asked for that after all the money they dropped on the property. I think property tax is an absurd concept to begin with (effectively it mean you don't own - you are just renting the property from the government). It's even more insane that simply improving your property can increase taxes so much.

By your numbers, the Nassau side is about 50% higher than the Suffolk side. Definitely a case study in government absurdity.

The suffolk side is bad enough. I don't blame you for running after seeing the Nassau taxes.
Those #s are from the public tax tolls. I had a hard cap at 18k when we looked and for that I would of only done it for new construction or a home on a 1 acre lot. Nassau reassessment really hurt the POB homes in the development.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Not really relevant anymore to original topic???

Old 07-22-2021, 10:02 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Bingo!

According to some etymology the word 'REAL' in the term 'Real estate' derives from the words 'Réal' or 'Royale' indicating a parcel of land granted by the king to a subject who is then the land Lord.
And the Lord of the Manor had to pay proper tribute for this 'gift' to the sovereign who, in feudal times was the unhindered owner of all the land in his realm. Because he collected taxes, not paid them.
It's good to be the king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island