Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,564,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
... Shirley is definately preferable.

For those who may not be familiar with Shirley:

Shirley is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the south-central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Shirley in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Yaphank and the Hamlet of Manorville; on the east by the Hamlet of Manorville, the Hamlet of Mastic and the Hamlet of Mastic Beach; on the south by Bellport Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Brookhaven and the Hamlet of Yaphank.

The Hamlet of Shirley has a different border than does the "Shirley, NY 11967" ZIP code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Shirley, NY 11967" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Shirley and a place can have other than a "Shirley, NY 11967" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Shirley): places that have a "Shirley, NY 11967" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Shirley are in the Hamlet of Mastic and the Hamlet of Mastic Beach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Shirley with a "Mastic, NY 11950" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 17,022 times
Default moving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyh001 View Post
I currently live in Queens and am looking to move to one of these areas in the next few months. I need help deciding on a neighborhood. I have read posts that trash mastic/ mastic beach- however some of the homes there look beautiful and are affordable. What about Patchogue or Bellport? Any info at all would help- especially if you live in the area. I am going to mastic and Bellport this weekend to check it out. HELP!!!

Mastic/Mastic Beach/Shirley, schools are not good. Area not so great. although yes, there are some nice homes.
Bellport schools are better but not great. Patchogue better. If you can look around the Sayville area. Or Oakdale-Connetquot school district. If your concerned for schools.
Otherwise if you can afford it preferably look in Bayport schools are very good great area. affordable homes especially now. Bluepoint, Sayville, Oakdale, Holtsville. You can get a nice home in the low 300's and be in a nicer area.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM

752 posts, read 1,457,536 times
Lol same story..."stay away from Mastic and Mastic Beach" Stay away theres horrible creatures on every corner and all the lawns have broken cars on them.....then theres the Indians...you might get scalped in the middle of the night.
I'm moving to mastic beach next month....bought a house down near the water and Iv'e made several trips there all times of day and night at this point. Havent seen anything bad. I have seen mothers walking strollers down the street, Kids walking home from school, people mowing there lawns, hell one guy was even painting his fence...imagine the horror.
has anyone who bashed mastic in this thread actually lived there?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Lol same story..."stay away from Mastic and Mastic Beach" Stay away theres horrible creatures on every corner and all the lawns have broken cars on them.....then theres the Indians...you might get scalped in the middle of the night.
I'm moving to mastic beach next month....bought a house down near the water and I've made several trips there all times of day and night at this point. Haven't seen anything bad. I have seen mothers walking strollers down the street, Kids walking home from school, people mowing there lawns, hell one guy was even painting his fence...imagine the horror.
has anyone who bashed mastic in this thread actually lived there?
I live in Mastic, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I moved to Virginia almost 9 years ago and moved back to LI last month. The issue that I had finding a place was my dogs, it was 2 until the bf came home with a puppy and then it was 3. Currently, we rent to own the house that my boyfriend and I live in. It was vacant for about 5 months before we moved in I was told. The man who lived here before that was a tenant for 6 years.

My neighbors work on their yards on the weekends. The school bus is the most traffic that I see in my neighborhood. I have heard one car in the past month that has excessively loud music. The dogs in the neighborhood don't even bark that much, and my neighborhood has lots of dogs. I know this because I see their owners walk them, and pick up their poop when they go.

I see people walking with strollers down the road. Folks jogging. Kids playing. Clean yards. Nearby shopping. Beautiful beach right down the road. Easy access for commuting. And cigarettes are cheap at the reservation. Two days into living here, the neighbors had already come up and introduced themselves to me. That may have had something to do with me chasing my one dog down the road and out of their yards, but they are friendly nonetheless. The kids in the neighborhood are even friendly, and *gasp* polite. One block up from me, they play hockey on Saturdays. I have yet to have to actually honk the horn to get them to move out of the way when I drive through.

I grew up in Suffolk county as a whole. Lived in Coram, Ronkonkoma, Sayville, Great River, Bohemia, Oakdale, Smithtown, and other places. Many of those areas, they are just entirely too expensive for many people who aren't necessarily established but are looking to be so in the near future. I am a student, and I work part time. Ten years ago I lived in Idle Hour, in "midgetville". My rent there was $1050 a month for a one bedroom, that you had to go through the bedroom to get the the bathroom. And the kitchen was in the same room as the living room. That same spot is going for $1400 a month now. Why pay $1400 a month for a suped up studio, when I can get an entire house with a yard for only $200 more? My mother, fresh out of a divorce, rents out part of a house in Sayville for $1200 a month just so my brothers can go to school there. Great schools, that is where I graduated from so I know this first hand. But the kids are obnoxious pissants who need some serious attitude adjustments. I also know about that first hand.

I'll stick with Mastic. At least until I am done with my grad. I like the neighborhood. The people are nice. Love the beach.

Oh, and they haven't scalped me yet.

Last edited by Kenzie8678; 10-15-2008 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 03:33 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,723,414 times
Given where this thread has gone, I don't know if it makes any difference, but I am pleased to report that the original OP just closed on a very nice home in Bay Shore.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM

991 posts, read 4,606,601 times
I would look elsewhere, there are a lot of better areas, stay away from East Patchogue I had 3 realtors tell me noone wasnts to buy in Pat Med because the school budget has a hard time passing if it does at all. Ridge is really nice.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,413,947 times
What does that mean exactly?? Given where this thread has gone? If you don't mind.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
What does that mean exactly?? Given where this thread has gone? If you don't mind.
I think he means the bashing of the usual bashers. The people who wont move to a town until a starbucks opens because they don't like they're coffee called coffee.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM

people need to start looking at the color of the lawns next door...not the neighbors

Old 02-02-2009, 02:04 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,413,947 times
Exactly. I've found that once someone defends an area that people LOVE to bash (mastic/MB/Shirley) it quiets down. Notice no response?? And that was a pretty enlightened statement from someone who lives in such a "trashy" area. Not that I've been there but I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island