Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 AM

184 posts, read 227,864 times

Advertisements

People get shot regularly in Roosevelt, yet almost never in Merrick, the very next town over. I wonder why this is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 AM

184 posts, read 227,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
St. Albans,Laurelton,Addisleigh Park,Baldwin Hills,Cambria Heights all are at least 65% blacks and are not ran over by crime so stop being racist don't try to make us blacks look bad.
PS, every town you just mentioned is seen as a bad neighborhood to white people.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM

840 posts, read 2,445,857 times
yes, op, you certainly will need help from either an EMT or LE

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM

372 posts, read 740,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
People get shot regularly in Roosevelt, yet almost never in Merrick, the very next town over. I wonder why this is...

There will be violence anywhere where people are systematically economically disenfranchised and they feel they have to resort to getting money in the underworld. This is the case in Roosevelt and other black communities, but not Merrick.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Roosevelt itself is not bad looking at all (at least most of the residential areas), most people there keep up with their houses, it is really no different than most other areas of Nassau County in terms of how maintained it is, which is evidence that there really is still a middle class in Roosevelt. If you look at the income stats of Roosevelt, it also has a higher average household income than other "ghettoes" it is often grouped with, which is more evidence of it's middle class existance.

As for the crime, I really can't comment on that since I believe you have to live an area for an extended period of time to accurately comment on the crime levels and how it affects the average resident.

If it wasn't for the situation with the Schools, I would definitely consider buying a home here.

Just my two cents..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
Yeah, I know a lot of people from Roosevelt and 8 out of 10 of them have done really well for themselves and their kids are doing well too. A LOT of their children go to private schools though.

Most of the people who live there can afford to live almost anywhere they want.

I'm not saying that Roosevelt does not have gang bangers and other ghetto people, but most of the people there are not ghetto.
The main problem with Roosevelt are the schools. The areas along Brookside Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue aren't bad at all. The problem is that, even if you send your kids to private school, you still have to contend with the poor school district when it comes time to sell the house. Otherwise its a pretty nice, quiet area.

Of course, anything near or east of Nassau Road should be avoided like the plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
St. Albans,Laurelton,Addisleigh Park,Baldwin Hills,Cambria Heights all are at least 65% blacks and are not ran over by crime so stop being racist don't try to make us blacks look bad.
Quote:
PS, every town you just mentioned is seen as a bad neighborhood to white people.
Sad, but true. Those are some really nice neighborhoods that have a stigma because of the rougher parts of town. Some parts of St. Albans look like Garden City

Laurelton has some rougher parts, but the nice areas are drop dead gorgeous. Same goes for Cambria Heights. I've never been to Addisleigh Park nor Baldwin Hills, so I can't comment on those places. Wheatley Heights is also a very solid neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean they actually are bad.

It's common for some people to condemn an entire town as being bad just b/c they see a black girl walking down the street so of course any neighborhood with a large black population would be seen as "undesirable", "shady" or "sketchy" (or whatever choice codeword is convenient at the moment) to some people even if crime isn't a problem in the area (like some of the black towns mentioned on this page). Perception does not equal reality.

Quote:
There will be violence anywhere where people are systematically economically disenfranchised and they feel they have to resort to getting money in the underworld. This is the case in Roosevelt and other black communities, but not Merrick.
If the predominately black area is stable middle class than violence will be rare.

Take Westbury North of the Parkway and Wheatley Heights for example. Since most people there are very financially stable, violent crime is extremely rare there even though black people are technically the largest group in both of those areas.

That's why it's much more about class than it is about race.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-31-2012 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM

372 posts, read 740,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
That doesn't mean they actually are bad.

It's common for many people to condemn an entire town as being bad just b/c they see a black girl walking down the street so of course any neighborhood with a large black population would be seen as "undesirable", "shady" or "sketchy" to some people even if crime isn't a problem in the area (like some of the black towns mentioned on this page). Perception does not equal reality.

The nicer Black areas always go unnoticed because since there's no shootings, it never makes the news and since it's predominately Black, the 'general population' will never view it as "desirable" so these towns remain very low-key to the point of many people not even knowing they exist. That's why I don't go down too hard on ignorant comments I see on this board b/c it's just ignorance.

If the predominately black area is stable middle class than violence will be rare.

You will have a very hard time digging up an article about a violent crime in the the part of Westbury North of the Parkway (which is predominately black) since most people there are very financially stable: the same thing goes for Whtly Hts.

That's why it's much more about class than it is about race.

When it comes to America, class and race go hand in hand. We see it in the history of the making of America, and we see it in recent Long Island history when it comes to housing.

I agree with your other points 100 percent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
The main problem with Roosevelt are the schools. The areas along Brookside Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue aren't bad at all. The problem is that, even if you send your kids to private school, you still have to contend with the poor school district when it comes time to sell the house. Otherwise its a pretty nice, quiet area.

Of course, anything near or east of Nassau Road should be avoided like the plague.

Sad, but true. Those are some really nice neighborhoods that have a stigma because of the rougher parts of town. Some parts of St. Albans look like Garden City

Laurelton has some rougher parts, but the nice areas are drop dead gorgeous. Same goes for Cambria Heights. I've never been to Addisleigh Park nor Baldwin Hills, so I can't comment on those places. Wheatley Heights is also a very solid neighborhood.
I agree when it comes to Roosevelt. I wouldn't live there, but west of Nassau Rd is decent and I know many people who live there who do well financially and have little to no problem with crime. Now on the other side, there is drug dealing and loitering and it's not the ideal place to be.

And Addisleigh Park is part of St Albans and is probably the part that you are talking about, as that is the area with lots of Tudor style homes.

Baldwin Hills is an Upper Middle class black neighborhood in Los Angeles CA. Maybe the previous poster meant Baldwin Harbor.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
When it comes to America, class and race go hand in hand. We see it in the history of the making of America, and we see it in recent Long Island history when it comes to housing.
I agree that there are often correlations but "hand-in-hand" is a very strong term to use.

Your race doesn't define your class

Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
Quote:
I agree when it comes to Roosevelt. I wouldn't live there, but west of Nassau Rd is decent and I know many people who live there who do well financially and have little to no problem with crime. Now on the other side, there is drug dealing and loitering and it's not the ideal place to be.

And Addisleigh Park is part of St Albans and is probably the part that you are talking about, as that is the area with lots of Tudor style homes.

Baldwin Hills is an Upper Middle class black neighborhood in Los Angeles CA. Maybe the previous poster meant Baldwin Harbor.
Totally agree. I've met some professionals who live over there and are quite affluent. You that's the case for many other people in that part of town because the houses and lawns are well manicured, and there's nice cars in the driveway. I'm willing to bet you that if that community was separate from Roosevelt, the crime rate in that part would be rather low, and the per capita income much higher.

Okay, so I have been to Addisleigh Park, then!

I'm familiar with Baldwin Hills, I just haven't been there. I need to check stats, but I don't believe Baldwin Harbor is majority black. Some nice parts of Baldwin are, though.

As another poster mentioned, other nice predominately black areas include that slice of Westbury in between Jericho Turnpike and the Northern State Parkway and Lakeview (near the Southern State Parkway).

Wheatley Heights, Lakeview, and that section Westbury aren't zoned to bad schools either.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Totally agree. I've met some professionals who live over there and are quite affluent. You that's the case for many other people in that part of town because the houses and lawns are well manicured, and there's nice cars in the driveway. I'm willing to bet you that if that community was separate from Roosevelt, the crime rate in that part would be rather low, and the per capita income much higher.

Okay, so I have been to Addisleigh Park, then!

I'm familiar with Baldwin Hills, I just haven't been there. I need to check stats, but I don't believe Baldwin Harbor is majority black. Some nice parts of Baldwin are, though.

As another poster mentioned, other nice predominately black areas include that slice of Westbury in between Jericho Turnpike and the Northern State Parkway and Lakeview (near the Southern State Parkway).

Wheatley Heights, Lakeview, and that section Westbury aren't zoned to bad schools either.
Wheatly Hts is zoned for very amazing schools. They're considered top schools:
Half Hollow Hills Central School District in Dix Hills, NY | GreatSchools

Lakeview is zoned for Malverne schools which are "ok". They have average performance by Long Island standards, according to stats. They get a worse reputation apparentely due to the district being very diverse. Blacks are the largest group in this district but its still diverse:
Malverne Union Free School District in Malverne, NY | GreatSchools

As for that slice of Westbury, most of it is zoned for Westbury schools (which is lower-performing by LI standards mainly due to New Cassel sharing the same district, which is lower-income and has a lot of ESL students that take up a huge amount of resources). A sizeable part of that slice of Westbury is zoned for Carle Place schools which are good schools. The part of the slice w/Carle Place schools has a larger Caucasian population than the rest of the slice:
Westbury Union Free School District in Old Westbury, NY | GreatSchools
Carle Place Union Free School District in Carle Place, NY | GreatSchools

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-31-2012 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island