Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 PM

17 posts, read 40,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Houses are worth more in Lido. I don't know about how much rents are though. Plus u get a lot of more house. Houses in LB are soooo tiny.
Not all are small. the "Westhome" is small, bungalows turned year-round homes now. East end has some nice homes. I grew up in the east end, I'm glad I did. The west end is mostly Shantyville, unless you live right on the water, then you're practically Atlantic Beach style homes $$$, the middle is Ok mixed with jewish on the south of park and black on the north of park. East end is classier and more familiy oriented, not were you walk up the block and there's a bar on every corner with drunk kids walking around. (nice to visit, not a place i want to live) . closest to lido, i think the east end is a decent place to grow up for the $.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Dude, if you can move to RVC, do that man. Can't go wrong there. Schools are awesome too, just stay awy from "RVC North" then you're right on top of Hempstead. Please dont go there. I know some ppl that were dying to live in RVC and bought a cheaper home there and are really regretting it.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Anthony314, I grew up in Long Beach and I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm wondering if RVC might have been a better pick for you. Not quite "worldy" cityfolk, but atleast less "blue collar" "south shore folk" too, and close enough to the beach.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
I actually disagree with that statement. I live in Long Beach and I am very impressed by how fast things get done there. As far as the streets being paved, they are working on a few streets a year - they can't just pave a street over without fixing what's underneath. The City's infrastructure is old. The sewers need updating. So they don't want to just repave the street when all sorts of other work needs to get done.

This past weekend after it snowed, I heard complaints from people all over the Island how their streets didn't got plowed. I had no problems in Long Beach. They plowed the streets right away.

That being said, I do agree with you about Education in Long Beach and I will complain about the arts and culture of long beach. I am a big fan of Long Beach, but coming from the city, my wife and I are having a hard time "fitting in". This isn't a knock on a class structure, but most of the people there are very blue collar, union workers or fire figher types. They wear Yankee shirts and sneakers to fancy restaurants. There are no arts or culture center to speak of. We sometimes wonder if anybody in Long Beach even reads a book.

I do love it there. Living by the beach doesn't get old. Every time I go down to the boardwalk I am reminded of why I live there. I just wish more worldly people lived down there. It's sometimes a little too "South Shore Nassau" for my liking. For those who never lived anywhere else, but Long Island, might have a hard time understanding what I mean.
Anthony314, I grew up in Long Beach and I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm wondering if RVC might have been a better pick for you. Not quite "worldy" cityfolk, but atleast less "blue collar" "south shore folk" too, and close enough to the beach.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
I actually disagree with that statement. I live in Long Beach and I am very impressed by how fast things get done there. As far as the streets being paved, they are working on a few streets a year - they can't just pave a street over without fixing what's underneath. The City's infrastructure is old. The sewers need updating. So they don't want to just repave the street when all sorts of other work needs to get done.

This past weekend after it snowed, I heard complaints from people all over the Island how their streets didn't got plowed. I had no problems in Long Beach. They plowed the streets right away.

That being said, I do agree with you about Education in Long Beach and I will complain about the arts and culture of long beach. I am a big fan of Long Beach, but coming from the city, my wife and I are having a hard time "fitting in". This isn't a knock on a class structure, but most of the people there are very blue collar, union workers or fire figher types. They wear Yankee shirts and sneakers to fancy restaurants. There are no arts or culture center to speak of. We sometimes wonder if anybody in Long Beach even reads a book.

I do love it there. Living by the beach doesn't get old. Every time I go down to the boardwalk I am reminded of why I live there. I just wish more worldly people lived down there. It's sometimes a little too "South Shore Nassau" for my liking. For those who never lived anywhere else, but Long Island, might have a hard time understanding what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's not that I hate LB, it's just not the most economical area to live in. I myself am looking to move...probably RVC. I find my commute to virtually everywhere takes twice as long from LB as it would from RVC. RVC has a better bar scene for those of us who are in our late 20's/30's. LB is very much 21/22/23 year olds. When it rains, the entire city floods. The drains cannot handle the water. I have found water in my apartment more times than I can count.
Dude, if you can move to RVC, do that man. Can't go wrong there. Schools are awesome too, just stay awy from "RVC North" then you're right on top of Hempstead. Please dont go there. I know some ppl that were dying to live in RVC and bought a cheaper home there and are really regretting it.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel78 View Post
Hey, what's wrong with "blue collar south shore folk"??? hmmm?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel78 View Post
"RVC North?" North RVC has gorgeous homes and they are more lavish for the most part than those in S. RVC.

Are you perhaps talking about people who were fooled into buying in Lakeview because MLS lists Lakeview homes within the RVC category?

Note to home buyers: When searching MLSLI, be wary of the "cheap" homes and skip them if they are listed for the Malverne SD, because then you are getting Lakeview, not RVC. I don't know why MLS lists Lakeview homes in with RVC when Lakeview should have its own category.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't know why MLS lists Lakeview homes in with RVC when Lakeview should have its own category.
This problem is not unique to the Hamlet of Lakeview but is much more widespread, as the MSL, because of laziness and/or geographic illiteracy, relies on the community named in a place's mailing address rather than the actual community where a place is located, even though the majority of places in Nassau and Suffolk Counties are not in the community named in their mailing address.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
This problem is not unique to the Hamlet of Lakeview but is much more widespread, as the MSL, because of laziness and/or geographic illiteracy, relies on the community named in a place's mailing address rather than the actual community where a place is located, even though the majority of places in Nassau and Suffolk Counties are not in the community named in their mailing address.
And they're supposed to be the "professionals" when it comes to real estate, so you'd think they would have an important matter such as using the actual proper names of communities down pat, wouldn't you?

***sigh***

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
"RVC North?" North RVC has gorgeous homes and they are more lavish for the most part than those in S. RVC.
the poster was likely referring to the homes in South Hempstead that are zoned for RVC schools.

Quote:
Are you perhaps talking about people who were fooled into buying in Lakeview because MLS lists Lakeview homes within the RVC category?

Note to home buyers: When searching MLSLI, be wary of the "cheap" homes and skip them if they are listed for the Malverne SD, because then you are getting Lakeview, not RVC. I don't know why MLS lists Lakeview homes in with RVC when Lakeview should have its own category.
maps of the village of RVC appear to show a very small area west of peninsula that looks like its in lakeview. perhaps those areas have a lakeview mailing address but are still in the village of RVC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island