Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 11:19 PM

450 posts, read 385,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Prices have gone up, along with everything else. Mid to high 500s is on the low side.
700 is on the high side, but not uncommon. All usually include the termite inspection. If there's a pool, and the inspector is qualified, that'll increase the amount.
Some inspectors will give you a small break if you pay cash...

I am really beginning to reconsider finding a good realtor to represent me as buyer as I just found out one realtor said "everything is C/O'ed" on day 1 open house, when I went back next day she said "only the patio area is not C/O'ed" so that was weird, what else did she neglect to tell us? Sometimes I follow some listings only to see they haven't sold even though it looks like a nice home, then I assume something may have happened or something is not up and up..

Are they obligated to tell us if any previous accepted offer fell through because of inspection or other issues? I assume not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckissue View Post
Town said that they dont care!!!!
Who did you use for inspection? Glad they found all those stuff, I want to have a list of good inspectors/engineers ready as I heard we have to move in really quick once we have an accepted offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Who the hell are you paying $700?
Average home inspection is usually 4 and change to mid 5.
My last few were $475 and $525, that’s recent. Last few years.
I've heard inspectors charge $300 to $600 depending on what they tack on, radon, mold, water, etc testing make the price vary.
Maybe he use an engineer, which I heard can go from 700 to 1k..
I remember the old days $300 for inspection but all they did was turn the water on off, and check outlets for reverse polarity and grounding, and call it "inspection".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 11:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
I am really beginning to reconsider finding a good realtor to represent me as buyer as I just found out one realtor said "everything is C/O'ed" on day 1 open house, when I went back next day she said "only the patio area is not C/O'ed" so that was weird, what else did she neglect to tell us? Sometimes I follow some listings only to see they haven't sold even though it looks like a nice home, then I assume something may have happened or something is not up and up..

Are they obligated to tell us if any previous accepted offer fell through because of inspection or other issues? I assume not?

No, we are not obligated to disclose anything but material defects. A Buyers Agent can sometimes get some of that information on the QT. Of course COs or the lack thereof should be disclosed by any agent, regardless of listing or selling/buyer agent. In fact, anything without a CO should not be advertised, i.e. a pool, finished basement, etc.

Who did you use for inspection? Glad they found all those stuff, I want to have a list of good inspectors/engineers ready as I heard we have to move in really quick once we have an accepted offer.

It is common practice to schedule an inspection within 24-48 hrs after acceptance of the offer. If you're interested, I can provide a list of a few inspectors I trust (one actually posts on this forum from time to time; he's probably too busy to bother with the forum at the moment.) Beware: there are some inspectors out there that will make sure to "fail" one or two inspections--insures a steady flow of business

Old 09-24-2021, 07:33 AM

Thank you Elke, now that I look back to our old messages, I found the 2 that you recommended.
With school already in session and weather getting cooler, maybe market will get a little less competitive.. I hate that we missed the pool season, now they will close the pools and won't be able to inspect them.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:49 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Thank you Elke, now that I look back to our old messages, I found the 2 that you recommended.
With school already in session and weather getting cooler, maybe market will get a little less competitive.. I hate that we missed the pool season, now they will close the pools and won't be able to inspect them.
You can still do a basic pool inspection with it closed. Cover can be peeled back to inspect liner or concrete surface, etc…a visual can be done on equipment. Pump can be plugged in to make sure it at least turns on.
Hire a pool company for that. And then, hold escrow as well until the pool can be opened. Shoot for 3-5k on the escrow.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on the pool situation. I would expect the attorney to recommend that, but I guess you can't expect them to cover every possibility these days.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:17 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on the pool situation. I would expect the attorney to recommend that, but I guess you can't expect them to cover every possibility these days.
Lower your expectations

Old 11-05-2021, 10:13 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
I went with the listing agent. It is 700$ . But I agree with you it wont get far.

At this moment I am just angry that a licensed realtor assured me all CO's were in place and therefore I hired the home inspection.

And the town told me there is no CO. When the Licensed Realtor should have disclosed it.
Possible she didn't know. The owner could have represented to Realtor that all C/O and permits were in compliance. The Realtor (or real estate agent since not all agents are Realtors) relies on client for disclosure information.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Possible she didn't know. The owner could have represented to Realtor that all C/O and permits were in compliance. The Realtor (or real estate agent since not all agents are Realtors) relies on client for disclosure information.
How could they represent a seller without checking if they have C/O for major revisions. I read a case recently the pool itself is missing a C/O, yet realtor is listing it with a pool, it's not like a small deck that she may have missed or a power line to add more lights to the patio, it's a pool.

There can't be that much immunity when realtors are listing $700 or even $1M homes and go "i didn't know".. they have nothing to do lose but both seller and buyer have a lot to lose. Seller's whole plans could go down the drain, plans of using the money for a new purchase, and buyer might be stuck starting all over when they don't get the finance or when there is serious violation.

If realtor really can claim "I didn't know" then they will need to list the home "House on 123 Main Street, go check it and verify everything yourself". Period.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:15 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
When I sold, my realtor asked if we had and to see all the co's so she could check them off. Understand not all do.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:05 AM

14 posts, read 6,383 times
Quote:
I went with the listing agent. It is 700$ . But I agree with you it wont get far.

At this moment I am just angry that a licensed realtor assured me all CO's were in place and therefore I hired the home inspection.

And the town told me there is no CO. When the Licensed Realtor should have disclosed it.
Welcome to the LI real estate market I guess. You cannot trust a real estate agent as they will lie to your face with a smile and don't expect prior homeowners to be honest with you. House I purchased the first question I asked was if they had all their CO's and specifically mentioned several that I knew would be a problem. Selling agent lied to my face saying they had everything. All permits and CO's for all work done. Let's put it this way. The entire house was missing a dozen CO's and it delayed the closing for months. Nothing like finding out there is a dozen missing after you have already put a down payment and in contract.

If the house is missing 1 CO you know if there are chances its missing others. Once an inspector from the town is sent to the house all bets are off. That is what happened to me. There was 1 specific area I knew they needed a CO for most likely but guaranteed to me they had it. Town inspector was sent out and got them on nearly a dozen issues. Decent chance they end up catching multiple other missing CO's. Not to scare you but family friends have also ran into this same situation. Chance the inspector looks the other way on how the work was done though once the paperwork is handled. Might depend on the area and the inspector.

Side lesson. Never use a house inspector the real estate agent recommends. I learned the hard way and paying for many issues my home inspector missed that should have been obvious. I was able to fight for a refund on the inspection fee but it was a drop in the bucket compared to what was "missed". More like the inspector looked the other way so he would not ruin his friends sale. I won't go into specifics but multiple hazards and damage was missed that I'm now paying for.

Last edited by avx81; 11-08-2021 at 12:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island