Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:40 AM

100 posts, read 374,481 times

Advertisements

newtoli,

You can get your diapers cheaper at Walmart. You can get all your tolietires cheaper there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Well this is part of my weekly shopping plan. Every Thurs. I get out the 3 major ads, PathMark, Stop & Shop, & King Kullen. I look and see what Im low on then look for it to be on sale. Keep in mind that I buy NOTHING thats not on sale that week. If chicken breasts are 1.88 a pound I buy like 8 packages. And the same as anything else. I then store everything ,in smaller portions, in my deep freezer and thaw it out as needed. It saves me a considerable amount of money monthly. Just my 2 cents.
Sign of the times perhaps....you can always tell what the deeply discounted items are these days in the supermarkets...without even reading signs. Just look for the gaping empty holes on the shelves :-) With everyone scrambling for sale prices...the sale items are flying off the shelves.

Another thing we have started doing it buying the rewrapped produce in the veggie aisle. Most of it is just fine...and usually half or more off the reg price. We do not buy gross moldy stuff however

Old 05-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbearof4 View Post
newtoli,

You can get your diapers cheaper at Walmart. You can get all your tolietires cheaper there also.
We switched to cloth diapers for our two girls. they cost about $15 a piece...but no more disposables!!! After about 3-4 months they are paid off in savings over disposables...and nothing in the landfills!!

Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,595 times
Alexei,

Do you send them out to be cleaned, or do you do it? May I ask how the cloth diapers hold up in comparison to the disposables? And leaks?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
Wow. I dont know how you do it? Everytime I would bring that idea up I would be sleeping on the couch for the night, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
We switched to cloth diapers for our two girls. they cost about $15 a piece...but no more disposables!!! After about 3-4 months they are paid off in savings over disposables...and nothing in the landfills!!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,801,787 times
I used cloth diapers for a year with my son. Snce the diapers were so expensive I washed a load of them every day so I didn't have to buy as many to begin with. It was a real hassle, but I did feel like I was doing something good for my son and for the environment. I switched from disposable because he wet so much at nght that 2 of his diapers actually burst, causing the gel lining to leak out all over his stomach - yuck.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I used cloth diapers for a year with my son. Snce the diapers were so expensive I washed a load of them every day so I didn't have to buy as many to begin with. It was a real hassle, but I did feel like I was doing something good for my son and for the environment. I switched from disposable because he wet so much at nght that 2 of his diapers actually burst, causing the gel lining to leak out all over his stomach - yuck.
to all...

The initial cost was high...25 diapers at $15-$18 a piece. We tested a few different types (we have one very skinny baby and one not so skinny :-) It took about a week to figure out which ones worked. Now however....no leaks...no diaper rash....no gel explosions :-) Cloth diapers are so nice now...they have snaps and velcro, and removable inserts that are easy to wash.

Laundry has increased one load every two days. We also bought a sprayer that attached to our toilet water feed...we can spray off the diapers right into the bowl.

I won't lie...it is a whole new process that you have to get used too. You need different detergents for the laundry (they are organic...not really more expensive but Tide just doesn't cut it). And you do have to get past the psychological boundries of being much more hands on with stinky diapers.

We also went an extra step and make our own wipes (6" X 6" cloths that are moistened with water and a blend of mild soaps and tea tree oil).

Mind you my wife does 95% of this and I credit her fully with maintaining diaper sanity.

Now...staying on topic...the $$ savings are pretty substantial. The initial investment was approx $600 (diapers/wipes/laundry bags for the dirty ones (you do NOT want them in your hamper!!). But if you figure 200 disposables at $40-45...thats about 20-25 cents a diaper. Each cloth diaper is $15-$18. So once you use a cloth diaper about 70 times...you have pretty much paid it off in terms of disposables.

We have 25 of them...so we will reach the 70 changes (assuming 5 diaper changes per day for 2 girls) in 25 weeks. So...we basiclaly only hvae cleaning costs after the 25 weeks. Had we been smart and done this right from the start we would be much better off in terms of $$.

You can all PM me about anything....there is lots of insight that make the whole transition muuch easier. There are entire web forums about cloth diapering...pretty funny. We highly recommend them!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
I didn't see a location on LI but there is an organization called Angel food ministries, who sells boxes of food for 1/2 the price you would pay at a grocery store. There was a news story about them on ABC a couple of weeks ago. Maybe contact a church in your area to see if they might be interested in providing this service to the ppl in your city. I believe it is not for profit org. There is no income limit either.
You can check the menu and locations here..
Welcome - Angel Food Ministries

Old 05-19-2008, 10:39 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times
I was thinking maybe people could keep this updated with local sales they've seen in the circular, or good coupons they find in papers or magazines, etc.

For example, Shop Rite has a coupon in their circular this week for $.99/lb ground beef, any package over 3lbs, as long as you spend $10. 5/18-5/24.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Tell me your ideas on making a thread with 'specials' listed for the week. I need your input..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: