Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:22 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times

Advertisements

Grocery Prices have been creeping up pretty high here on LI. I was starting to spend about 25% more a week until I decided to shop very carefully this week...

For $18 at stop and shop, I got
2lbs chicken and apple sausages
2 grilling steaks
1.5lbs boneless pork chops
4lbs Boneless skinless CHX Breast
3.5lbs ground beef

Usually this would cost me around $40. Just by waiting for things to go on sale! My new plan is to compare all the circulars for the local groceries each week to stock up on good meat sales and things that I can freeze.

What is everyone else trying to do to avoid the high grocery prices? Tips? What is killing me right now is the price of paper towels, toilet paper, detergent. Is it really worth a costco membership for those items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM

208 posts, read 913,590 times
it's a shame to think that if I wanted to try to save some money food shopping that I would have to sacrifice a LOT of quality to do so. I have no idea how you got all that meat for $18, I figure you bought all store brand, no name stuff and the ground beef probably wasn't the leanest cut either, am I right?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,516 times
We go to BJ's...the milk, OJ and ground beef is SO much cheaper. It's worth going just for those items. They say the beef is the lean kind, but when I use it to make a meatloaf it hs a lot of grease that you wouldn't get from Stop and Shop. BUt when you're cooking for a family of five and choosing to live on LI, you have to budget.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:41 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
But is it worth it to "drive around" to find cheaper prices when gas is $4.09 a gallon?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:45 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,516 times
No, Gigi, it isn't at these prices. Heck, I don't even drive in to Nassau anymore to see my mother with the way my minivan eats gas! It costs me $35 to do that trip. Aww, poor mom.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:49 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
I'm scared. The Gas is killing me. Being a RE agent is becoming a very expensive gamble.

My daughter's friends are going to lose me as the neighborhood taxi. I spend 3/4 of my life driving everyone home, to, from, back......

what I want to now is....where are all the other mothers? lol

Oh, wait, they are all out making millions to pay for the big mansions they live in while I drive their kids around for free! lololol

Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
it's a shame to think that if I wanted to try to save some money food shopping that I would have to sacrifice a LOT of quality to do so. I have no idea how you got all that meat for $18, I figure you bought all store brand, no name stuff and the ground beef probably wasn't the leanest cut either, am I right?
Nope! 85% Ground Beef, not the leanest but not the worst. Stop and Shop has a habit of sticking on $2 off coupons on the larger packs of meat. There were $2 off coupons AND a sale price on this pack. Perdue chicken breasts 1/2 off! I might head back to see if they have more of those packs so I can freeze. They were running specials on everything in the meat dept. It was actually all the same stuff I normally buy. I usually get a better cut of steak, but these are decent for steak night.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
But is it worth it to "drive around" to find cheaper prices when gas is $4.09 a gallon?
I'm lucky I guess, I have 3 different supermarkets within 5 min so I can comparison shop. If Trader Joes was closer, I'd be doing a lot more of my shopping there.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
<snip>
Is it really worth a costco membership for those items?
I just recently had to renew my membership with Costco, it was a $50 fee. It won't pay for itself, or save me a dime, until i achieve $50 worth of savings compared to regular store prices. My guesstimate is that it took me a month (4 trips - @ 1x a week) to get to that number. Now, i can start saving for myself instead of offsetting the dues. If you're not going to be shopping there on a fairly regular basis i'd say no, it doesn't pay. You really have to watch the prices there too, a decent sale price/coupon in a regular supermarket/retailer can often be a better bargain than the avg. prices in the discount big-box stores. Its not a given that Costco or BJ's has the lowest price.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Well this is part of my weekly shopping plan. Every Thurs. I get out the 3 major ads, PathMark, Stop & Shop, & King Kullen. I look and see what Im low on then look for it to be on sale. Keep in mind that I buy NOTHING thats not on sale that week. If chicken breasts are 1.88 a pound I buy like 8 packages. And the same as anything else. I then store everything ,in smaller portions, in my deep freezer and thaw it out as needed. It saves me a considerable amount of money monthly. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: