Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dont rule it out Beeehave.

I think Bklyn Hipsters would eat Mastic up if they realized what and where it was.

I could see Mastic as a Poor mans Hamptons
My hipster comment was only half in gest. The gentrification of Mastic is possible with the combination of plummeting home prices and people wanting a cheap piece of beach. All it takes is a few people with an idea to start plucking up homes in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Im serious.

You guys have a PR problem ...thats all.

Its just a matter of time before the City figures out that for a 2nd home near the Hamptons....Mastic is a steal.

crooks
It's an uptown/downtown thing. Poshies in the Hamptons proper, gritty downtowners in the TriHam or MaSh. That name even has a vibe like SoHo.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:06 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Ah the irony! Hipsters rubbing elbows with the locals at the Penny Lane Pub dive in Shirley ...

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 02-24-2009 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's an uptown/downtown thing. Poshies in the Hamptons proper, gritty downtowners in the TriHam or MaSh. That name even has a vibe like SoHo.

Love it

Hows about MaBe

crooks

Old 02-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Love it

Hows about MaBe

crooks

MaBe -- it hints at potential with a subtle aloof quality. Hipster stamp of approval -- we have a winner!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:05 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
The OP did not ask about Huntington, Northport, or Kings Park. The OP asked about the area around Shirley. ( A strong offense is a good defense) The opinions of an area are not made to personally insult you. They are made to give the OP and readers an idea of what type of reputations various areas of long island are like. If I was to make a huge purchase in a location I knew little about, I would want all opinions. At the very least it gives you an idea about how easy it would be to resell a home. It is up to the OP and readers to weed through all the opinons and make up their own mind. This was not a race issue.
I know what the OP was asking. And I meant no offense, Just makes me grumpy. Seems that all the people who don't live here share the same opinion on the area. That opinion is not usually well founded. My making some similarity comparisons were only that and nothing more. I was comparing to " good towns" with good resale values, having lived in all the areas mentioned and not seeing a difference between them other than the opinions of people with no experience. Its like asking a man who sells shoes what kind of car to buy. If your looking to make an intelligent decision on an area you should go visit the area yourself, You should do research on the schools and the crime rate. You should way the cost of the house your looking to purchase against your cost of living, your distance traveled for work and any other factors that may apply. Some call it a Poor mans paradise? I resent that because I am not poor...and neither are my neighbors. I chose this area because its close to friends, close to state parks with good mountain bike riding, close to the beach and fishing. Right around the corner from smiths point where there's good camping. I am a twenty minute drive to the Hamptons. And the house was a bargain considering I spent two hundred thousand on a house that in my old town "Huntington" would be double if not more. And Living there I am just as likely to get robbed, stabbed or shot. As a matter of fact I did get "jumped" walking down Oakwood road near the Lincoln dealership over there around 8 oclock at night 10 years ago and the area certainly hasnt improved with time. An intelligent decision is made by weighing all the information gathered and deciding whats important to you.
Good luck in all your endeavors.

Last edited by minesbroken; 02-25-2009 at 05:51 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
i moved here to mastic beach 2 yrs ago, seperated and with only my now 6yr old daughter, yes it was all i could afford, but the truth is i LOVE IT HERE! its beautiful, the schools are wonderful and it is very safe. get real. there are drugs and nasty teens all over the nation. its not the neighborhood its the upbringing. theres plenty of white trash everywhere. you make the neighborhood, it needs you to flurish and to survive. ive gotten involved with my daughters school, got a great job and met lots of great people of all colors. im italian and puerto rican, my daughter is also part irish. the world is all mixed now. get with the program. theres good and bad everywhere. you want bad, grow up in bklyn. and even that was ok. the more people stay away from neighborhoods out of fear of bad, the more chance bad can grow, come on out, meet the people who live here. we don't have much money but we work hard and keep our homes and neighborhood beautiful. money isn't everything, oh yea, the hamptons and quogue weren't always money, it used to be just like mastic beach. now even you can't afford to live there! get in while you can, it won't stay cheap for long, there isn't anymore open water front in li left. and the east end is full. see for yourself. as for me, i love mastic beach, and the wonderful people who live, work and play here. joanne v

Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne v View Post
there are drugs and nasty teens all over the nation. its not the neighborhood its the upbringing. theres plenty of white trash everywhere.
Ummm no there isn't, but rationalization is built into the Human psyche to survive.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Ummm no there isn't, but rationalization is built into the Human psyche to survive.
Well crappy teens are worldwide. South Nassau just busted a few for vandalism. And yes drugs and wt ARE everywhere illustrated by the mowing down of a kid on Main in Smithtown to the Southampton heroin highway they just broke up. You should read your own post and really think about who's rationalizing.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Well crappy teens are worldwide. South Nassau just busted a few for vandalism. And yes drugs and wt ARE everywhere illustrated by the mowing down of a kid on Main in Smithtown to the Southampton heroin highway they just broke up. You should read your own post and really think about who's rationalizing.
Maybe so, but in this economy I think it's going to be exceptionally harder for towns like Mastics/Shirley to recover vs. others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island