Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,285 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have heard mixed things about LIRR into the city. Some tell me it’s great, better than driving into the city. Others have warned me that it’s unsafe at the terminals with increased homelessness and crime. I was wondering if anyone has taken the train recently to and from the city, and if the trains and/or the terminals are safe or not.

Really value all of your seasoned input on this! I’d love the convenience of not having to drive in and dealing with traffic and parking, but if it’s really as bad as some say, it’s probably not worth the risk? Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 10:50 AM

1,464 posts, read 757,268 times
Just Use common sense and you’ll be fine. Just pay attention and avoid possible issues. Like the male swatting at the air as I was walking into the rest room and the military was watching him trying to get him to move. I just walked away saying I don’t want to get punched in the face and used a different bathroom. I rather risk getting punched in the face then deal with rush hour traffic in the city.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:56 AM

430 posts, read 556,703 times
The LIRR is still mostly safe. As soon as you get into NYC, you will see how far things have fallen.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:07 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,687 times
The LIRR is still running off peak so don't buy peak tickets and the trains aren't crowded yet. But depending on where your office is located, you could see a lot of the homeless. 8th Ave is a sh*t show. Joints are openly smoked and druggies are shooting up in broad daylight.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:47 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselineBish View Post
Hello!

I have heard mixed things about LIRR into the city. Some tell me it’s great, better than driving into the city. Others have warned me that it’s unsafe at the terminals with increased homelessness and crime. I was wondering if anyone has taken the train recently to and from the city, and if the trains and/or the terminals are safe or not.

Really value all of your seasoned input on this! I’d love the convenience of not having to drive in and dealing with traffic and parking, but if it’s really as bad as some say, it’s probably not worth the risk? Thanks so much in advance!
It's very safe. It is highly improbable you will have any issue regarding your safety.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:26 PM

62 posts, read 68,489 times
I take LIRR every day to and from LI. Very safe, the City is also safe.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 560,498 times
If you're commuting to work, please take the train. The roads are more filled every day with commuters who obviously haven't done it in awhile, if ever, and they're slowing everybody else down.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:01 PM

63 posts, read 39,559 times
As far as safety on the LIRR goes -
I would be more concerned with the aging equipment failing than anything
Particularly the DMs(dual mode/double decker trains)

Old 11-04-2021, 11:38 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,461 times
100% safe, take the train to work.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:34 PM

913 posts, read 885,455 times
I feel completely safe in the city and on LIRR. Came home from a play about midnight and it was fine. Have been back and forth mostly on the weekends and the city is hopping. Haven't seen the concerns the others are talking about for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: