U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2008, 06:42 PM

130 posts, read 342,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
My plumber wants $500 to run a line to the deck. Then one also needs a BBQ conversion kit. The other thing is that natural gas burns cooler than propane.

Since I use only two propane tanks a year, it's not really worth it just to avoid refilling the tanks.

I also don't have any vehicles that use compressed nat'l gas for fuel.
Well, I wasn't the one who mentioned compressed gas for fuel....I don't know any body who has a vehicle that uses compressed gas either.

My house had the gas line already hooked up for the BBQ when I moved in 22 years ago, so I guess I'm spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM

13,998 posts, read 3,630,121 times
Kate,
I can understand the attraction of gas on demand and not worrying about filling the tank. The worst part of a gas bbq is running out of gas in the middle of grilling steaks. It sure is nice, but I $500 is more than I want to pay for that now.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,610,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
I don't know any body who has a vehicle that uses compressed gas either.

If not now, you will in a few years ... and, by then, you may even have one yourself!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 14,548,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
If anybody does convert to natural gas, be sure to run a line to your barbecue grill - one of the nicest perks of natural gas!

I had considered doing that, but I like the ability to move my grill about the property.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM

151 posts, read 310,563 times
Home built in 1956, still has original boiler. It used to be a coal burning furnace which was later converted to oil. The coil needs replacement at a cost of 1.5K according to petro. Should I just switch to gas or get a more efficient oil system? From September of 07 to now the house used 1,100 gallons. It's a 1,800 sqft home.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM

13,998 posts, read 3,630,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arangoa79 View Post
Home built in 1956, still has original boiler. It used to be a coal burning furnace which was later converted to oil. The coil needs replacement at a cost of 1.5K according to petro. Should I just switch to gas or get a more efficient oil system? From September of 07 to now the house used 1,100 gallons. It's a 1,800 sqft home.
That boiler is very inefficient. I'd switch to gas. It will cost you about $5K but save you in the long run. Gas is generally a less-expensive fuel than oil. I'm guessing, but maybe you'll save $1K/yr.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM

2,422 posts, read 5,210,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That boiler is very inefficient. I'd switch to gas. It will cost you about $5K but save you in the long run. Gas is generally a less-expensive fuel than oil. I'm guessing, but maybe you'll save $1K/yr.
I agree.....go gas....

Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 AM

It's an investment property but the price of oil is just to ridiculous right now. I don't live in NY so can anyone recommend a company to do the work? National grid is sending over a contractor but I want to get a few different bids. I live in Madison WI, here my house uses gas and it costs me $150 a month during the winter, and believe me here winter is in the negatives.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,091,986 times
I already have gas coming into the house for cooking. I also have oil heat with an old oil burner thats ready to be replaced. This is what I was quoted:
Keyspan to supply a Burnham Boiler for $599. My plumber, who is also my gym buddy will install gas line to boiler location, install new boiler and seperate hot water heater, remove old oil tank and cart away $1600. Total : $2199

Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I already have gas coming into the house for cooking. I also have oil heat with an old oil burner thats ready to be replaced. This is what I was quoted:
Keyspan to supply a Burnham Boiler for $599. My plumber, who is also my gym buddy will install gas line to boiler location, install new boiler and seperate hot water heater, remove old oil tank and cart away $1600. Total : $2199
Can he be my friend as well I was quoted 3.9K over the phone. This includes a keyspan supplied [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Burnham Boiler, A.O Smith water heater, and removal of the old tank. Though I wouldn't mind keeping the tank since it's not in the way, anything to save a buck. The only thing not included is the chimney lining, he said he can find some to do it for $900. So, I'm looking at around 5K. I can also have my Dad do it for 3K but no permit will be filed. Whish I could just sell this house [/SIZE][/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island