U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM

10,994 posts, read 6,886,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
OK dumb question I have Oil hot air. Old burner, and oil fired HW. not as old but ???
Is it worth it to change over to gas for both ?
If so any reBates or freebees.
You can call National Grid and ask about rebates and freebies, I would definately switch to gas it's more efficient and cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM

13,998 posts, read 3,630,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
OK dumb question I have Oil hot air. Old burner, and oil fired HW. not as old but ???
Is it worth it to change over to gas for both ?
If so any reBates or freebees.
Quick answer: Yes! If gas is available.

Advice, don't take the 80% efficient furnace that LIPA has on special. It's worth paying extra to get the better 95% ones. An extra advantage is that you can retire your chimney (and cleaning) since the new ones are side venting.

Also, a HW tank that stores the water heated by the boiler is most efficient.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,342,435 times
I converted from oil to a high efficiency gas boiler before last year's heating season. I also converted my electric stove to gas.

I believe the going rate for heating oil was $4.39/gallon. I typically used 1,000 gallons. So last year it would have cost $4,400.

My gas bill for the year (which now included cooking gas), was $2,200. Yes, I saved 50%.

The prior poster is correct - the boiler vents out the side or rear wall of your basement. One caveat - when the weather is cold, the boiler vents a ton of steam. It's not hot; you can put your hand against the outside wall and touch it. However, it is unsightly. So vent it out the rear of your basement if you can.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,610,488 times
Right now, adjusting for BTUs, the wholesale price of natural gas is at a large discount to the wholesale price of heating oil, but should this price relationship prompt more use of natural gas relative to heating oil, then you can expect, over time, for the natural gas price advantage to become smaller, especially if natural gas should become a more popular automobile fuel, not to mention its growing use in electricity generation.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:07 AM

590 posts, read 546,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Quick answer: Yes! If gas is available.

Advice, don't take the 80% efficient furnace that LIPA has on special. It's worth paying extra to get the better 95% ones. An extra advantage is that you can retire your chimney (and cleaning) since the new ones are side venting.

Also, a HW tank that stores the water heated by the boiler is most efficient.
When i replaced the old gas burner i went with an 80 percent one. All the reviews I have seen for the higher then 80 percent ones from every company is the higher efficiency ones have high failure rates and can cost $500 and up to fix .

I figured the future repair costs would negate the savings between the 80 percent and 95 percent efficiency.

I do say make sure the 80 percent efficiency burner has a 2 stage fan if its a forced air system. That helps save electricity and also gives you a $250 rebate from lipa.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM

849 posts, read 869,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
When i replaced the old gas burner i went with an 80 percent one. All the reviews I have seen for the higher then 80 percent ones from every company is the higher efficiency ones have high failure rates and can cost $500 and up to fix .

I figured the future repair costs would negate the savings between the 80 percent and 95 percent efficiency.

I do say make sure the 80 percent efficiency burner has a 2 stage fan if its a forced air system. That helps save electricity and also gives you a $250 rebate from lipa.
You're 100% correct. I researched this to death and the high efficiency condensing ones can cost a lot to fix and have major issues.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
You're 100% correct. I researched this to death and the high efficiency condensing ones can cost a lot to fix and have major issues.
I have a contract with National Grid for my heat and A/C. I've had two parts fail and they replaced them for free. One of the parts was the zone water pump, which is unrelated to the type of boiler. The other was the fan unit, which failed a month after installation.

Are the high efficiency boilers less reliable? Old boilers were entirely mechanical and were highly reliable but did not optimize performance. New boilers have computers in them and determine output based upon many favors, including outside temperature, inside temperature, etc. Theoretically, the more parts the more change of failure. Even if so, I think it's worth it getting 15% more efficiency. If your gas bill is typically $2,000, a 15% annual savings is $300. For $300 one can buy a service contract (which you should have even on a lower efficiency boiler.)

I'd like to read the the links where you researched this.

Last edited by MTAtech; 09-23-2011 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 PM

10,994 posts, read 6,886,641 times
Well This Saturday I will be converting to all gas. Since it's already coming into the house. Bye Bye oil. I am not using a LIPA contractor and I don't have to. The guy who servies my oil burner is doing it. I cannot wait.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM

226 posts, read 297,998 times
I think you will like the savings, What kind of oil tank do you have (inside or inground) and are you having it removed as part of the conversion?

Best to deal with the tank now, it becomes more regulated and expensive to remove it every year you wait.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Well This Saturday I will be converting to all gas. Since it's already coming into the house. Bye Bye oil. I am not using a LIPA contractor and I don't have to. The guy who servies my oil burner is doing it. I cannot wait.
Good luck! What boiler did you buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island