Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM

83 posts, read 381,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
WNBC (Imus & Howard Stern). I was listening to Stern when I was in junior high. He was funny--not too raunchy back then.
I remember listening to Howard in the early 80's (WNBC) when he did all his skits (GT - the Gay Terrestrial, The Adventures of Slim Whitman, etc).

In thee late 80's & early 90's I listened to a bit of Sports Talk radio. WFAN was great a first but I tired of Mike & the Angry Puppy after a while. WNEW had the "Sports Guys". Sid & Scott before a couple of other clowns took over (Scott Kaplan is on the mighty 1090 in San Diego now w/ Billy Ray).

Every so often I listen to a Mike & the Mad Dog podcast to hear who they're interviewing, but overall they've become to "big" for themselves.

I really miss the days of listening to John Sterling & Michael Kay doing the Yankee radio broadcasts. They may have hated each other, but they were a great team. I think Sterling still does the radio broadcasts while I still see Kay on the YES network broadcasts of the Yankee games (when I get a chance to see them out here on the west coast)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 09:18 PM

16 posts, read 80,973 times
Does anyone remember 99x?????????? I think it was in the 70's...dont remember am/fm.....?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:04 PM

74 posts, read 371,003 times
In the 60's I listened to WABC and WMCI on the AM band. Later when FM became popular I listened to WNEW FM, WPLJ and WLIR. I haven't been back in years and won't even know what stations exist there.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM

90 posts, read 352,982 times
For me, it was WLIR all the way. i still have my old LIR t-shirt! (Yes, I was "spotted" by the LIR van!!!)

I remember when John Lennon was shot...I was glued to my radio, all night, listening to a wonderful DJ, can't remember his name now, I think it was Ben Something...I really felt a kinship with him that night. Ben White, maybe? OH I remember now, Ray White. yeah, Ray White.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
77WABC didn't only make it into the car..... I came to Buffalo for college and I could get it on some nights almost 40 years ago in my highrise dorm!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
I've been meaning to reply to this thread! I grew up in the 80s and listened to 92.7 WLIR and WBLI 106.1. Another reason I'm bitter toward illegals is that 92.7 was sold and became a spanish language format.
It moved out east to 107.1 in the woods where no one was listening, now it's ESPN radio.
And now they're starting with Party 105.3, I'm hearing spanish music on there too.
In the 80s radio was grand. We had many Long Island radio stations with varied music. Not only did 'LIR play cutting edge music, we had easy listening stations like WCTO 94.3 (later Magic 94.3...now Island 94.3). WWHB 107.1 Hampton Bays was a great Top 40 as well as WBLI.
It was before Top 40 got saturated with rap music. In the 80s it was dance, rock, and pop....what music should be. I remember the Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Mike + the Mechanics were staples on radio.
NYC also had a great mix of stations, WYNY, Hot 103.5, WKHK 106.7,etc. Then there was WNYG 1440.
Those were great times. Kids growing up today may have all this great technology on their hands but they missed out on the great music and radio, back when DJ's spun actualy records, not automated computers and voicetracking programmed by companies 1000s of miles away.
There's few radio stations that offer that today. I think the only radio station that comes close is 92.1 WLNG. Also you can hear Big Ed Newlands on 91.9 WSHR which sounds pretty good.
Radio on LI today is just bland. TMO (which owns Party 105.3, 98.5 and 107.1) lost their edge when they sold 92.7 to Univision. Now TMO only programs one english language music station, Party 105, and even that station is slipping. If I here "Tequila More" one more time...ugh.
Pulse 87.7 is better, at least their music is in english.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM

123 posts, read 580,219 times
a few months ago we won a prize on one of the local radio station
we even had to go to their station to pick up the prize.
i couldnt believe what a crappy prize it was! we were so disappointed!
to top it off was their name wasnt even on it, it was another radio station they share an office space with whos name was on the certicate.
i did write a letter to complain and they did offer what we called a one step better prize but still it was a very cheap prize.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapsbestfriend View Post
Does anyone remember 99x?????????? I think it was in the 70's...dont remember am/fm.....?

You might be talking about 99.1 WPLR. I think it's actually a connecticut station but it played classic rock(60's-70's) and 80's metal.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
I'm growing up on Long Island right now and currently listen to z100. Yes, yes I know a black person listening to z100?! I'm not so stereotypical as one might think.

What other good pop stations are their on Long Island?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 PM

123 posts, read 580,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
I'm growing up on Long Island right now and currently listen to z100. Yes, yes I know a black person listening to z100?! I'm not so stereotypical as one might think.

What other good pop stations are their on Long Island?

only listen to z100 in the morning with the zoo! they are too funny and what great phone tabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island