Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 37,551 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m looking to buy a house in Huntington Station, but my friends just told me that Huntington Station is “bad” and that I should look in Huntington Village instead. I went to an open house today for a house I’m very interested in on 24th St., and it didn’t seem bad (compared to say, 13th St by NY Ave, it seems rough there); but maybe I’m wrong! I know Huntington Station has some trouble with MS-13, but like any town, it has good and bad spots, and sometimes the bad spots can overshadow the whole town. So to anyone who knows Huntington/Huntington Station well: is 24th St. (just north of Jericho Tpke, east of NY Ave, west of Schiller) a safe area? I have a kid who would be attending middle school as well; before I put in an offer, I’d love to know anything I can. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 08:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Sweet house! Sure to go well over asking IMHO, and very quickly. Taxes are great too.

Yes, there are parts of Huntington Station that are considered "bad".
No, not all of Huntington Station is "bad"; IMHO the "bad" part is a small portion of the Station - most of the Station is quite nice.
In fact, not too far from the home you're looking at (on Hazard), a house just sold for $949,000. Of course it was a large colonial, but if all of the Station were "bad", you wouldn't find anything selling for that price.

Ultimately you have to decide if an area is acceptable to YOU; don't let someone who (most likely) goes by hearsay tell you what's good and what's not.

If you can afford to buy in the "Village", by all means - it's more convenient to stores, etc. but that comes with a price, and often very small lots (not 1/4 acre like the one you're looking at).

Old 06-05-2022, 03:22 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Yes there are ‘dangerous’/‘bad’ areas in Huntington Station (and no, that is not true of every LI town, village and hamlet).

Beyond the usual and readily available statistics, why not walk around the street and surrounding streets during daylight and darkness to get a feel for safety in the immediate area. Check out the nearest convenience stores or other areas you are likely to go if you lived there.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Sweet house! Sure to go well over asking IMHO, and very quickly. Taxes are great too.

Yes, there are parts of Huntington Station that are considered "bad".
No, not all of Huntington Station is "bad"; IMHO the "bad" part is a small portion of the Station - most of the Station is quite nice.
In fact, not too far from the home you're looking at (on Hazard), a house just sold for $949,000. Of course it was a large colonial, but if all of the Station were "bad", you wouldn't find anything selling for that price.

Ultimately you have to decide if an area is acceptable to YOU; don't let someone who (most likely) goes by hearsay tell you what's good and what's not.

If you can afford to buy in the "Village", by all means - it's more convenient to stores, etc. but that comes with a price, and often very small lots (not 1/4 acre like the one you're looking at).
Thank you Elke, yes, I loved the house, and I’m aware that not all of Huntington Station is bad… but you buy location first, so that’s why I asked specifically about that area! :-) I put in the offer, because you’re right- I think that one will go quick!- and I wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything, so wanted to ask locals for “inside knowledge” of the area, so to speak; I’ve read other posts here from people asking similar questions about Huntington Station, but didn’t see anything recent, so I thought I’d ask. I appreciate it!

Old 06-05-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Yes there are ‘dangerous’/‘bad’ areas in Huntington Station (and no, that is not true of every LI town, village and hamlet).

Beyond the usual and readily available statistics, why not walk around the street and surrounding streets during daylight and darkness to get a feel for safety in the immediate area. Check out the nearest convenience stores or other areas you are likely to go if you lived there.
Yes, I did walk around there, and didn’t feel unsafe at all (it wasn’t the first house I saw in that area), but I don’t have inside knowledge of the area like someone who has lived there for a long time would have, and I won’t get that by just walking around the area a few times or getting crime stats from Google searches (which I’ve also done)… so if you know the area and have any insight, I’d be very grateful for whatever you could share. Thank you!

Old 06-05-2022, 02:03 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
That area is literally on a street by street basis....it reminds me of the time we stayed at a hotel in DC and if we made a left out of the hotel we were good and if we made a right and went a block you were taking your life into your hands.

Personally I would not live on a numbered street unless it was on the other side of Oakwood.

$900K for a house on Hazard. SMH.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That area is literally on a street by street basis....it reminds me of the time we stayed at a hotel in DC and if we made a left out of the hotel we were good and if we made a right and went a block you were taking your life into your hands.

Personally I would not live on a numbered street unless it was on the other side of Oakwood.

$900K for a house on Hazard. SMH.
Sorry, what does “other side of Oakwood” mean- you mean west of Oakwood?

Old 06-05-2022, 10:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness25 View Post
Sorry, what does “other side of Oakwood” mean- you mean west of Oakwood?
Park of that comment is correct, but again, not in all areas.

Regarding Oakwood, yes, that's most likely what twingles means. Almost all of the "other side" of Oakwood is Huntington, not Huntington Station.
However, twingles no longer lives on Long Island and may not be aware of changes in neighborhoods.

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 06-05-2022 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-06-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Regarding Oakwood, yes, that's most likely what twingles means. Almost all of the "other side" of Oakwood is Huntington, not Huntington Station.
However, twingles no longer lives on Long Island and may not be aware of changes in neighborhoods.
Thanks for clarifying!

Old 06-06-2022, 10:14 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:

Yes I am aware, my sister lived on the west side of Oakwood and her best friend still lives on the east side of Oakwood on a numbered street. My best friend lives in the college streets of Greenlawn. I am fairly up to date on the goings on of the area and grew up near Huntington High School. I didn't realize the OP was married to 11746 over 11743.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island