Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 5,066 times

Advertisements

All, I need some info / your thoughts about the gated communities in Manhasset at Shelter Rock Road / South of Strathmore.

I'm aware that there are a few very wealthy gated communities like Gracewood but also a couple communities that are less expensive. I used to have a friend who lives at Spruce Pond / Tiffany Circle, and I visited her home a couple years ago and liked it. Unfortunately, I lost contact with her, so I will need some help from y'all here.

*A couple gated communities like Spruce Pond are townhouses/condos and HOA is like $1,100 a month. Worth it or not, it's very subjective, and I'm still undecided. How do you all see the need of a gated community and paying monthly HOA? Who are those people preferring to live in a community?

For me, I have been living in Brooklyn near Bay Ridge and I'm tired of this area. It's getting crowded, crimes are surging, etc. etc. Furthermore, I have a newborn and need to think about school zones, etc. Manhasset and Great Neck are my top choices now. I feel living in a gated community is somewhat more secure and I can have my privacy, etc. The HOA includes snow removal, ground maintenance, amenities, etc.

*Is it hard to sell a townhouse/condo in one of those gated communities down the road?

*Based on my research, it sounds like those gated communities there are hooked up a public sewer system? Is that true? I'm aware that the individual homes in the center of Manhasset all have septic tank or a cesspool, and my friend who lives in Great Neck has suggested me to stay away from those homes.

*I have to travel to Manhattan for work like two times a week. I did my research, and it seems like the Port Washington line works well for me - express to Grand Central and no stop at Jamaica. If I ever move to Manhasset, does it mean I have to drive to the LIRR station in the morning and park there until I return?

*When my child grows up and begins going to school, what daycare options do I have there? My wife is not a full-time mom, and again, I have to work in Manhattan like two times a week. Our mother-in-law has been helping us with the newborn, but she can't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 08:37 PM

79 posts, read 91,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am930 View Post
All, I need some info / your thoughts about the gated communities in Manhasset at Shelter Rock Road / South of Strathmore.

*A couple gated communities like Spruce Pond are townhouses/condos and HOA is like $1,100 a month. Worth it or not, it's very subjective, and I'm still undecided. How do you all see the need of a gated community and paying monthly HOA? Who are those people preferring to live in a community?
The HOA includes snow removal, ground maintenance, amenities, etc.

*Is it hard to sell a townhouse/condo in one of those gated communities down the road?

*Based on my research, it sounds like those gated communities there are hooked up a public sewer system? Is that true? I'm aware that the individual homes in the center of Manhasset all have septic tank or a cesspool, and my friend who lives in Great Neck has suggested me to stay away from those homes.

*I have to travel to Manhattan for work like two times a week. I did my research, and it seems like the Port Washington line works well for me - express to Grand Central and no stop at Jamaica. If I ever move to Manhasset, does it mean I have to drive to the LIRR station in the morning and park there until I return?

*When my child grows up and begins going to school, what daycare options do I have there? My wife is not a full-time mom, and again, I have to work in Manhattan like two times a week. Our mother-in-law has been helping us with the newborn, but she can't drive.
If you do move into the community, the easiest day care option is M.A.X., it's right in the schools.
https://manhassetafterschoolxperienc...erschool-m-a-x
a bit pricey but it is LI, and its in the schools so there's no extra transports or guardians picking/dropping them off. We used them for a couple years, well worth it.

As per the LIRR, its to Penn Station, but ESA (East side access)/Grand Central should be opening up by early next year, hopefully. For parking, i think you need to apply for the Parking permit (prove residency) then pay daily: https://manhassetparkdistrictny.gov/...26-regulations
Or have the wife drop you off as there is no commuter street parking near the station

Lastly, as per HOAs, $1100/mth (13.2k yr), If they have a pool and a little gym, i think it's well worth it. Landscaping alone will cost you $1800-2500 (for a 60x100-my prices) lot per season contracting out. If no pool, id say no way but if you're concerned about safety, it's not a huge price to pay.

Side note, i did hear that a $$$$$ (Stonehill - most expensive community) house got robbed with guys coming in from the golf course/back of the community but that has to be something targeted, not random.

Hope this helps

Old 07-31-2022, 09:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Long Island isn’t queens. If you want gated that’s fine, no where in manhasset or great neck is it not safe. That HOA does not included property taxes. There is probably more crime in bay ridge than the worst neighborhood on LI. I saw your other post. Septic is fine I never had it until now it’s been 3 years I don’t even think about it. Make sure it is inspected, cesspools are old newer are septic tanks with leaching field. I was told maybe 10 years to have it pumped.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
I always thought those gated condos in Manhasset were for retired old rich people, alot of my old rich patients live there.

If you are a young parent with a newborn, normal Manhasset is perfectly fine and safe. Brooklyn must be that bad, that people feel they need to flee to a gated community. Thanks Deblasio/Adams for raising my LI property values. Glad I sold my condo in Brooklyn (Dumbo) when that bum Deblasio was elected.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:30 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Those condos house mostly seniors who head to Florida in the winter, few playmates for your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island