Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 09:11 AM

54 posts, read 47,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And people who don't like NC always think people who like it here are trying to convince you to like it. I'm not. I couldn't care less if someone stays or goes home (or wherever). I'm a big proponent of doing what makes you happy. FWIW I wouldn't like living in FV either. Just not my cup of tea.

I'm not surprised you don't know how to take my post, because I'm trying to get you to examine your life decisions. Most people don't want to do that. I think that YOU think if you find the perfect location you'll be happy, but life doesn't work like that.

Just as an example I read one of your older posts where you say Chapel Hill is your fave city in NC then go on to make a laundry list of everything wrong with it. What?! If you ask me what's my favorite anything it is not going to be followed by what I hate about it.

I simply think you don't know what you want, or you know what you want but have absolutely no idea of how to get there. That's all. I don't care whether you like NC or anyplace else. My life doesn't change one iota and I hope yours is cautionary tale for anyone who thinks they can pick up and move somewhere without doing the hard work of asking themselves why they want to make that move and what they hope they get out of it.

I DO wish you luck (really).
Honestly I’m not sure why you even answered my post. You moved away and found a place you like You did not move back. I know what I want and as a person im very happy. Not sure how this turned into life decisions or my happiness or who I am as a person. I’m glad trying judge me has made you happy some how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 09:15 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
We left Dong Island. Life is much better now.
We do have some good memories, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t all bad, but it just got way too bananas. The expenses, the traffic, the attitudes and high concentration of deplorable human beings.
Just too much. We got lucky and found a good fit. I know countless people/families who left and regretted their new location. Some where fortunate enough to move back, some weren’t.
I’ve lost count of how many people I know that moved south and were miserable, especially in Florida. Year round summer seems like a good idea in January living on LI, but the reality is it’s not for everybody. Many just weren’t smart about the move. Not enough research and/or irresponsible with their finances. For example moving to Florida with their LI house money and buying the biggest most lavish house they could afford, squandering their reserves and SHTF money. Then for whatever reason regretting the decision, not having the finances to move back. Not so much in recent times because the south has kinda grown and stabilized, but back when, the market down there was a disaster. Pay $120k for a McMansion and 6 months later it’s worth $75k, etc etc…now you want to sell and you can’t. You’re stuck. Remember when Florida was the land of foreclosures and vacant derelict homes?

Just make sure if you’re gonna bail, do your homework. Like really do your homework.
And if you find utopia, don’t brag. Don’t tell anyone where you moved. Because if you do, “they” will come. And ruin it. When word gets out that such and such place is the new hidden gem, word spreads, it gets a bullseye and then it’s over.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:48 AM

54 posts, read 47,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
We left Dong Island. Life is much better now.
We do have some good memories, don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t all bad, but it just got way too bananas. The expenses, the traffic, the attitudes and high concentration of deplorable human beings.
Just too much. We got lucky and found a good fit. I know countless people/families who left and regretted their new location. Some where fortunate enough to move back, some weren’t.
I’ve lost count of how many people I know that moved south and were miserable, especially in Florida. Year round summer seems like a good idea in January living on LI, but the reality is it’s not for everybody. Many just weren’t smart about the move. Not enough research and/or irresponsible with their finances. For example moving to Florida with their LI house money and buying the biggest most lavish house they could afford, squandering their reserves and SHTF money. Then for whatever reason regretting the decision, not having the finances to move back. Not so much in recent times because the south has kinda grown and stabilized, but back when, the market down there was a disaster. Pay $120k for a McMansion and 6 months later it’s worth $75k, etc etc…now you want to sell and you can’t. You’re stuck. Remember when Florida was the land of foreclosures and vacant derelict homes?

Just make sure if you’re gonna bail, do your homework. Like really do your homework.
And if you find utopia, don’t brag. Don’t tell anyone where you moved. Because if you do, “they” will come. And ruin it. When word gets out that such and such place is the new hidden gem, word spreads, it gets a bullseye and then it’s over.
I did a lot of homework, years worth. I feel like I was very misled, maybe I should have used different sources. I don’t know if I will every make it back to Long Island, I think my mistake was I may have moved just moved to far south. Where did you end up?

Old 09-11-2022, 11:03 AM

The good news is, some are saying the market will crash again, or at least level out, making it a little more affordable to get back on LI.
The bad news is, some are saying the market is gonna crash again which means unloading your current home might be a deal breaker. Not knowing your finances it’s hard to say.
If you bought right even if the market tanks you should still be able to get out with a few bucks, and I believe the Carolinas-Florida-Texas will remain a busy market no matter what.
If you’re renting, disregard the above and just sock away as much as you can for your down payment.

I got a little sentimental and wishy washy a while back, but on a visit to LI I quickly realized I made the right decision. The good memories and nostalgia will always be there. My point being, a move back to LI may not REALLY be what you want. Think about it.
This is a big country, plenty of places to go.
My best advice would be to NOT pick a hot market or “place to be”.
For numerous reasons. Good luck with everything.

Old 09-11-2022, 11:17 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
LI has become more expensive, more congested and the people are more angry since you left. However I think this is true for most of the country.

There are certainly some beautiful parts of the Island and of course plenty of negatives.

I would suggest taking a long vacation here to check it out thoroughly. Just a few days visit will feed nostalgia. You need longer than that to get a real feel for the current Island.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
LI has become more expensive, more congested and the people are more angry since you left. However I think this is true for most of the country.

There are certainly some beautiful parts of the Island and of course plenty of negatives.

I would suggest taking a long vacation here to check it out thoroughly. Just a few days visit will feed nostalgia. You need longer than that to get a real feel for the current Island.
Exactly this.
You nailed it.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:35 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
We also moved to Cary NC and lived there for almost 7 years. It was nice but never felt like home. We have been back in Nassau County since 2018 and couldn't be happier.
I have my last one in high school, so that was one reason we moved back. The schools are county wide and can and do change very quickly. The other reasons were that we just missed so much from NY that you can never get in other states. The most important thing of all is this is where we feel like we are home.
I am curious what you missed about NY. I,Ives here my whole life. Aside from being familiar with every nook and cranny, I cannot think of much I like about it. The traffic is horrendous. The people that are coming here, most likely flooding in from the border, make me feel like I am the foreigner. The people are rude than ever. You cannot go to NYC at this point with all the crime they are allowing. Other than bagels, nails, chines take out, pizza on every other street corner, what is there to miss? Y is not the same place I grew up in the 60s and 70s. It is not even close to the Ny of the 80s or 90s. It has all gone downhill. People going to stores in pajamas and ragged clothes. It’s crazy. It maybe that way in other places too. I have nothing to compare it to because I don’t know what it is like in other places.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:36 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I did a lot of homework, years worth. I feel like I was very misled, maybe I should have used different sources. I don’t know if I will every make it back to Long Island, I think my mistake was I may have moved just moved to far south. Where did you end up?
He didn't move south. What makes you think everyone finds their happy place south of Long Island? Start with asking yourself that question, then ask yourself what you really want out of a place to live. "It's cheaper" is not really going to get you far these days. Any place worth living has become incredibly expensive.

If you did not own a home on LI and moved to NC because it was cheaper you have found out the hard way that the biggest difference between NY and NC is property taxes so if you weren't a homeowner coming with a big down payment or cash for cash purchase, you didn't make out.

Again - you say you did tons of homework, but it still all went wrong. You need to sit down and figure out what you want but you do not seem willing to do that. You're still looking outwards at worked for other people (and that's why I answered this thread. Realistically how many people do you think are moving to NY at all, regardless of where they are from originally?)

Old 09-11-2022, 01:39 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I got a little sentimental and wishy washy a while back, but on a visit to LI I quickly realized I made the right decision.
My dad, who is 90, has been waxing poetic about living in Huntington and how he loved living there. My parents left Huntington almost 20 years ago.

I told him - you don't miss Huntington, you miss who you were when you lived there (ie, young, could work hours in the yard, grandkids were little and fun, etc etc). It takes him 10 minutes to get off the couch nowadays. Youngest grandchild just off to college.
Hell his GREAT grandkids are in school. He wants his young self back. Moving back to Huntington would just be same crap different place.

Too many people mistake nostalgia for realism.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:29 PM

718 posts, read 620,358 times
Move back to this dump called long island. Yeah that's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island