Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I grew up in Massapequa; anything west of Route 107 was considered Seaford (Behind Miljay's and up and along to Island Rec, etc.), north of Boundary was Bethpage (as you went further east on Boundary it became Farmingdale.) North of the 135/107 intersection, you entered Plainedge.

North of Boundary Avenue is the Hamlet of Plainedge.

For those who may not be familiar with Plainedge:

Plainedge is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on its northern border and proceeding clockwise, the Hamlet of Plainedge in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Bethpage; on the east by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; on the south by the Hamlet of North Massapequa; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Plainedge-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Plainedge is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Plainedge have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Levittown, NY 11756", "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Seaford, NY 11783" and "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with South Farmingdale

Quote:
I grew up in Massapequa; anything west of Route 107 was considered Seaford (Behind Miljay's and up and along to Island Rec, etc.), north of Boundary was Bethpage (as you went further east on Boundary it became Farmingdale.) North of the 135/107 intersection, you entered Plainedge.

As you go further east on Boundary Avenue it becomes the Hamlet of South Farmingdale.

For those who may not be familiar with South Farmingdale:

South Farmingdale is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of South Farmingdale in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Farmingdale; on the east by the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of East Massapequa and the Village of Massapequa Park; and, on the west by the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of Plainedge.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/South-farmingdale-ny-map.gif (broken link)

South Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with North Wantagh

Quote:

Some of the area west of Route 107 would be the eastern part of the Hamlet of North Wantagh that has a "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with North Wantagh:

North Wantagh is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the east section of the Town of Hempstead, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of North Wantagh in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Levittown; on the east by the Hamlet of North Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Seaford and the Hamlet of Wantagh; and, on the west by the Hamlet of North Bellmore.

North Wantagh is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North Wantagh have a "Wantagh, NY 11793" and "Seaford, NY 11783" mailing address.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
You are correct, Island Trees is in Levittown and it encompasses parts of other towns zoned for that district ...

Absolutely not!

The Island Trees Union Free School District is entirely within the borders of the Hamlet of Levittown (it's in the northeast and east part of the Hamlet of Levittown), and no other village or hamlet is within the borders of the Island Trees Union Free School District.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Absolutely not!

The Island Trees Union Free School District is entirely within the borders of the Hamlet of Levittown (it's in the northeast and east part of the Hamlet of Levittown), and no other village or hamlet is within the borders of the Island Trees Union Free School District.

I am very confused by your comment and I am attempting to understand. How do people who live in Seaford, Plainedge, and Bethpage with Seaford, Plainedge and Bethpage mailing addresses go to Island Trees and are zoned for the Island Trees Union Free School District then? These people do not reside in Levittown itself. I do understand that all of the schools are within Levittown, I am talking about the people zoned for the district. Unless I am misinterpreting the word hamlet.

I am very interested and you seem to know your borders, so could you possibly explain your rationale? The school district lines are a bit confusing around here and I would like to have the correct information.

(I do, however, know for a fact that Island Trees is not part of the Levittown School District at all, even though the district "resides" within the border of Levittown).

Thank you.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I am very confused by your comment and I am attempting to understand. How do people who live in Seaford, Plainedge, and Bethpage with Seaford, Plainedge and Bethpage mailing addresses go to Island Trees and are zoned for the Island Trees Union Free School District then? These people do not reside in Levittown itself. I do understand that all of the schools are within Levittown, I am talking about the people zoned for the district. Unless I am misinterpreting the word hamlet.

Those people who have a "Seaford, NY 11783" and a "Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address (there is no"Plainedge, NY ?????" mailing address) and are in the Island Trees Union Free School District do not live in the Hamlet of Seaford or the Hamlet of Bethpage, which have different borders than the postal zone that "shares" their names.

Those people who have a "Seaford, NY 11783" and a "Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address and are in the Island Trees Union Free School District live in that part of the Hamlet of Levittown that is in the service area of the "Seaford, NY 11783" and "Bethpage, NY 11804" ZIP Code postal zones.

Please understand that cities, villages and hamlets do not necessarily have the same borders as the ZIP Code postal zone that "shares" their name.

The following two comments may help you better understand the geography and the postal confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones:

NYS Geographic Glossary

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...where-you.html

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 05-28-2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Corrected link for 2nd URL

Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Quote:
Absolutely not!

Seaford, Bethpage, Plainedge homes in the Island Trees SD on mlsli.com. Is this w/in the hamlet of Levittown?

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Seaford, Bethpage, Plainedge homes in the Island Trees SD on mlsli.com. Is this w/in the hamlet of Levittown?

Yes, this is w/in the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:41 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Quote:
Those people who have a "Seaford, NY 11783" and a "Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address (there is no"Plainedge, NY ?????" mailing address) and are in the Island Trees Union Free School District do not live in the Hamlet of Seaford or the Hamlet of Bethpage, which have different borders than the postal zone that "shares" their names.

Those people who have a "Seaford, NY 11783" and a "Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address and are in the Island Trees Union Free School District live in that part of the Hamlet of Levittown that is in the service area of the "Seaford, NY 11783" and "Bethpage, NY 11804" ZIP Code postal zones.

Please understand that cities, villages and hamlets do not necessarily have the same borders as the ZIP Code postal zone that "shares" their name.

One last question as this is very informative and it is something that I was not aware of until this post. Do the areas of Bethpage, Seaford, and (Plainedge) that are within the hamlet of Levittown pay Levittown taxes and follow Levittown ordinances or do they follow Bethpage, Seaford, and (Plainedge which may not exist) taxes/ordinances?

My friend lives in what I thought was Wantagh in the Levittown (Macarthur) school district. I also thought that she paid Wantagh taxes but Levittown school taxes. I am assuming now, based on what you said, that she technically lives in the hamlet of Levittown?

I guess I what I am asking is this: is my friend's only tie to Wantagh the postal zip code or is she considered for most purposes as Wantagh?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:56 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Hamlets have no taxation or legal powers. They're unincorporated portions of towns--the areas that are not incorporated villages. One of the reasons Walter posts his maps in all these threads is that the USPS ignored hamlet and village boundaries when setting up ZIP codes. Where you live, and where the USPS thinks you live, aren't the same thing--and that's also why you get the endless discussions about whether you live in Huntington Station or South Huntington. (The hamlet of South Huntington does not exist as far as the USPS is concerned.)

What matters for tax purposes are towns, villages (if applicable), and school districts. So, for example, there's a small portion of the village of Rockville Centre that's in Oceanside SD. They will pay Oceanside SD tax and RVC village tax. Their neighbours down the road in Oceanside (a hamlet) will not pay village tax; their neighbours down the road (in the other direction) will pay RVC village tax and RVC school tax. But the part of Baldwin that's zoned to Oceanside SD has identical taxes to the Oceanside part of Oceanside SD--both hamlets, no tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island