Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times

Advertisements

good luck.......great areas ur looking at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 PM

94 posts, read 294,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
good luck.......great areas ur looking at
thanks! and i'll be sure to look you up for a house inspection when we move there. i see you all over the forums, you are definitely somebody i'd want in my corner. thanks for all the advice and info. we've just added a new location to our search, babylon. i really don't know anything about the area, but i know it has a great village i'd like to be close to, but need to check out the schools and which ones they are around therre. it looks like north babylon schools have the best scores but i'd like to hear from "real" people on the real deal with the schools. we have our house on the market a week now and no calls. its very depressing, but we keep hoping. all we need is one. keep your fingers crossed and thanks again to everyone!!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
Default saville south

Flood insurance? Depends on where you live . I'm 2 houses from the bay and it is not considered a flood zone. If you have kids and they are good athletes, students, musicians, wear Abercrombie etc. they will fare far better in Sayville schools than if you just have Joe average "non ass kissing" kids like mine. (Well, my kids are cool, individual thinkers that don't "follow what everybody else is doing" , kinda like their parents). If you have special needs kids DO NOT MOVE TO SAYVILLE. (I'm a Special Educator of over 20 years) . Staff and Administration cater to all the "golden children". Alot of the students aren't much better. Not alot of diversity here , been here over 10 years and it still hasn't changed. South Sayville used to be a much more of a "middle of the road " type area. Hopefully you don't have to keep up with the Jones' (you know...the wife usually plays tennis , doesn't work, has a housekeeper, the husband plays golf, have a boat , landscaper, ) Oh and you'll also have that vacation home too of course. As a parent you are probably going to be too busy running your kids to at least 3 sports activities, dance, music, etc. (because everyone will talk about how many activities their kids are involved in and how good they are at everything and you'll have to make sure you are right there with them).
If you're kids just aren't cutting the mustard by the time they are 1/2 way through the middle school, you'll cry, wanna call the nasty kids' parents (but you can't). And yes, your kid will be exposed to alot of sex,(unfortunately no good rock n roll) drinking and a fair amount of drugs (don't listen to those people who say "not in our town" .....their "Jock itch kids are usually the biggest offenders and suppliers) Hence...You ride it out. Some people will pull their kids out and send them to A nice Catholic HS, and ask "is this why we pay over $15G in taxes???) I'm sure this stuff happens everywhere, but if you don't have money to burn , you can be exposed to it elsewhere at a more "discounted" price.

However....if you still just HAVE to be in Sayville...it is a nice seaside town, especially if you don't have to worry about the kid crap.

Our house will be on the market is a few short years. If you know anything about old homes, it is an I.H. Green (architect) Home on 1/2 acre, new kit with the granite, blah , blah etc., heated free form IGS . It's worth putting your pennies away and waiting for this one. It's easy to build the house you want , finding a gem of a location like this.....not so much.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikmove View Post
We are looking to relocate to Sayville or Oakdale. I loved the village of Sayville, but the houses are very small. I am looking for some feedback on what you think of the 2 areas. Also, seen some houses in West Sayville and West Oakdale, but was told to stay away, is that the general consensus? WE have 2 small girls and want a family community, good schools, the works. We are practicing Catholics and want to be around churches. Don't mind other religions, just want to make sure ours is avail to us. I also saw Sayville schools and Connetquot schools, whats the feedback on those? CAn't wait to hear from you
I often say if you like mosquitoes and cesspools Oakdale is great. All kidding aside the areas you are looking at are both nice. I have lived in the East Islip/Oakdale area for over 30 years. I have seen it develop over the years and know quite a bit about it. You are right that Sayville homes are going to be typically smaller. However, a better walking town you will not find on the South Shore. This was not a big deal for me. Oakdale has a quaintness to it steeped in history. I am south of Montauk. The Connetquot SD is much larger than Sayville's, but does a fine job with my kids and in statewide tests. But if your kids play sports, or other extra curricular activities, the competition level is much higher due to sheer numbers. As far as west Oakdale (I do not even know where that is) or West Sayville, these comments to watch out come from pretentious snobs who hold a quality of life similar to the Stepford Wives or Wisteria Lane. If you find a home you like, and the neighborhood is comfortable, you will live nicely wherever you decide to set up shop. Good Luck!!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvm1118 View Post
I often say if you like mosquitoes and cesspools Oakdale is great. All kidding aside the areas you are looking at are both nice. I have lived in the East Islip/Oakdale area for over 30 years. I have seen it develop over the years and know quite a bit about it. You are right that Sayville homes are going to be typically smaller. However, a better walking town you will not find on the South Shore. This was not a big deal for me. Oakdale has a quaintness to it steeped in history. I am south of Montauk. The Connetquot SD is much larger than Sayville's, but does a fine job with my kids and in statewide tests. But if your kids play sports, or other extra curricular activities, the competition level is much higher due to sheer numbers. As far as west Oakdale (I do not even know where that is) or West Sayville, these comments to watch out come from pretentious snobs who hold a quality of life similar to the Stepford Wives or Wisteria Lane. If you find a home you like, and the neighborhood is comfortable, you will live nicely wherever you decide to set up shop. Good Luck!!
Can we please do something to make the dates on posts more visible? The person before this answered a thread that hadn't been touched in a year, an now this is a bump from 2 months ago.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvm1118 View Post
As far as west Oakdale (I do not even know where that is) ...
Could "West Oakdale" be the eastern part of the Hamlet of Great River that has an "Oakdale, NY 11769" mailing address.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM

16 posts, read 48,710 times
I must dispute that there are not great homes and neighborhoods between Montauk Hwy and Sunrise Hwy in Sayville, for there are. South of Montauk Hwy. definately has some grand old homes, but to say there are no good areas north would be completely untrue. It depends on where you are looking. Having just spend the past few years doing so both north and south from Bayport to Oakdale, I consider myself a well seasoned expert on this one. Sayville is a great town.

In another post I said: Sayville has excellent schools (important for resale even if your kids are grown!), has is easy access to the highways, is on the Great South Bay with beaches, has ferries to Fire Island beaches, has a convenient train station with a reasonable commute to the city, be at the Islip airport in under 10 minutes, and has a super charming downtown with great boutiques, Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, restaurants. Back to the schools - very impressive science programs, and they have a competition robotics team! West Sayville properties are a bit less expensive and share the schools and downtown. Some of the south of Montauk highway streets are quite prestigious. Lots of family friendly events thrown by the Greater Sayville Chamber of Commerce, like the upcoming Miracle on Main Street event on 11/28/09. Check out the Chamber website: [url=http://www.sayvillechamber.com/url]

Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I like Sayville and Oakdale.
Nothing wrong with either that isn't wrong in any other decent community.
That whole strip is nice from Oakdale to Blue Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island