Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 PM

47 posts, read 107,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I consider myself a very liberal person. Almost what one would call a "bleeding heart"

I assisted this person in pressing charges. In order to get the police to follow through, I had to have a lawyer friend assist. It was infuriating. I asked about the fact that the attackers were illegal, and they basically laughed and said they don't get involved in that.

That, to me, is unacceptable. They got off with a slap on the wrist.

Unfortunately, this has also decreased the quality of life in my hometown, due to slumlords packing 30 illegals into a house.

All I ask is that the law be followed... and it's being overlooked.

Again...you're not quite getting the point.....

are all immigrants, illegal or not, supposed to suffer because of the actions of a few? Is that how that works now? If someone commits violence against someone else, they should be held accountable in a court of law. Period.

Because you had a hard time getting representation from a lawyer does not reflect poorly on immigrants...it reflects poorly on cowardly lawyers.

And again....same goes for the slumlords....they know what the laws are...but they are TAKING ADVANTAGE of people who are here to better their lives and yes, their families as well.

And I'm really sick and tired of all the people who complain about illegal immigrants but then hire them to mow their lawn, build their effin' houses and work as their maids. You are willingly to pay them crappy wages but then complain when their kids need to go to school and all of a sudden it's like oh no, the schools are crowded.....gimme a break

Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I'm all for going after Slumlords!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaa View Post
Again...you're not quite getting the point.....

are all immigrants, illegal or not, supposed to suffer because of the actions of a few? Is that how that works now? If someone commits violence against someone else, they should be held accountable in a court of law. Period.

Because you had a hard time getting representation from a lawyer does not reflect poorly on immigrants...it reflects poorly on cowardly lawyers.

And again....same goes for the slumlords....they know what the laws are...but they are TAKING ADVANTAGE of people who are here to better their lives and yes, their families as well.

And I'm really sick and tired of all the people who complain about illegal immigrants but then hire them to mow their lawn, build their effin' houses and work as their maids. You are willingly to pay them crappy wages but then complain when their kids need to go to school and all of a sudden it's like oh no, the schools are crowded.....gimme a break
You complain about someone making blanket statements about illegals...and then proceed in making blanket statements about people complaining about illegals also being the ones who hire them...how on f-ing earth could you know that people complaining about them here are hiring illegals as MAIDS? Oy Vie.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delaa View Post
nope....no agenda here....just speaking truth
that's one word for it...lol.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I consider myself a very liberal person. Almost what one would call a "bleeding heart"

I assisted this person in pressing charges. In order to get the police to follow through, I had to have a lawyer friend assist. It was infuriating. I asked about the fact that the attackers were illegal, and they basically laughed and said they don't get involved in that.

That, to me, is unacceptable. They got off with a slap on the wrist.

Unfortunately, this has also decreased the quality of life in my hometown, due to slumlords packing 30 illegals into a house.

All I ask is that the law be followed... and it's being overlooked.

You filed charges with the police that a group of men committed assault, and the men got off with a slap on the wrist? Why, lack of evidence? There has to be more to the story.

As for the illegal immigrant portion of it..the police don't get involved with that...they have no power to deport anyone.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You filed charges with the police that a group of men committed assault, and the men got off with a slap on the wrist? Why, lack of evidence? There has to be more to the story.

As for the illegal immigrant portion of it..the police don't get involved with that...they have no power to deport anyone.
Probation and restitution for damages to clothing. Apparently that's what you get for assault these days. They even admitted to the attack.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I'm surprised that INS hasn't performed more "Raids" on certain notoriously known illegal immigrant neighborhoods. I know plenty of people complain and make phonecalls, and report things. I wonder why INS doesn't act on this more frequently.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm surprised that INS hasn't performed more "Raids" on certain notoriously known illegal immigrant neighborhoods. I know plenty of people complain and make phonecalls, and report things. I wonder why INS doesn't act on this more frequently.
Because the politician who pulls the trigger on said raid will be fingered by the good Reverend Hernandez as a Nazi and other Latino "activist" ie power groups.

Also, to be honest, what are INS going to do in a neighborhood? In a workplace, they can demand to see working papers and such. Are they going to walk up to people on the street who look "illegal" and ask them for ID? It's a little sketchy.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Probation and restitution for damages to clothing. Apparently that's what you get for assault these days. They even admitted to the attack.
Doesn't sound equitable to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:34 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Because the politician who pulls the trigger on said raid will be fingered by the good Reverend Hernandez as a Nazi and other Latino "activist" ie power groups.

Also, to be honest, what are INS going to do in a neighborhood? In a workplace, they can demand to see working papers and such. Are they going to walk up to people on the street who look "illegal" and ask them for ID? It's a little sketchy.
What the towns COULD do, is punish the slumlords. Turn a single family home into an overcrowded rooming house? $10,000 fine. People would stop doing that quickly if they were hit in their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island