Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:43 PM

95 posts, read 206,871 times

Advertisements

Agh, zombie thread raised. Still an interesting read.

Have we hit bottom? Not a chance. We're in for another year of pain at the very least. Foreclosures and reposessions are on their way up after a few months of them being on the decline. Short sales are everywhere, and only inventory that is priced right is going anywhere. Unemployment is 80% higher this year than last, and the job market is nonexistent. Even if the economy recovers, unemployment will continue to rise for quite some time.

Nationally, the market is up seasonally but down on a seasonally adjusted basis, as reported by the latest Case Shiller reports. In the New York Metro MSA, prices were flat, and down on a seasonally adjusted basis.

See here for upcoming foreclosures: Long Island Real Estate Market*|*Tom McGiveron*|*Coldwell Banker Realtors, and a prediction of a possible 20% fall on Long Island.

I'm greatly interested to see what happens after the first time homebuyer credit expires. The Treasury is indicating it does not have the stomach for future bailouts and stimulus, and we're almost at our credit limit with overseas investors in government securities.

My feeling is there will be a void of first time homebuyers in 2010, assuming the credit is not renewed. They will all have bought in 2008 and 2009 to take advantage of the credit.

Right now, and increasingly next year, sellers are having trouble finding buyers who do not have properties they are also trying to sell. This means market liquidity is locked up, and as prices fall this problem is just further exacerbated.

All signs point to a resuming downward spiral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
homes will drop another 40%.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Homes on Long Island will drop anther 137%, and we will return to our native american roots - everybody living off of the land and homesteading...

I call "dibs" on Rocky Point

Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 AM

113 posts, read 438,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Homes on Long Island will drop anther 137%, and we will return to our native american roots - everybody living off of the land and homesteading...

I call "dibs" on Rocky Point
You laugh but have you seen the people who live in tents in California?

YouTube - Tent cities spring up in LA

But I guess that could never happen to NY'ers right?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post

I am not a native New Yorker so your sarcastic slings and arrows do not harm me...speaking of slings and arrows, I also call "dibs" on Quogue, as it has always been my favorite word to pronounce. And as far as Cali is concerned, me thinks that state has proven that even the completely ass backwards politics of NY have some merit in relative comparison...next thing you know that state will overthrow an incumbent Governor and elect some Hollywood icon with zero experience to run the place....

Old 08-03-2009, 08:59 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
DONALD TRUMP CUTS PRICE OF 502 PARK AVENUE APARTMENT BY $20M - New York Post

I'm surrounded by neighborhoods of McMansions that were going for between 500K on the low end and 700K+ on higher end, though I'm not sure what they'd get today. Of course these are Richmond VA numbers and not Long Island but what I've noticed is that for sale signs are sprouting on front lawns of these McMs like weeds. Then on top of that there are several foreclosures. FWIW my neighborhood has one for sale and it's a retiree.

I do know some of these folks are self employed and have seen a decrease in their incomes over the last year, but they've now hit a tipping point that is forcing them to down size. What I find interesting is that we're now seeing pressure on price from above as the formally affluent try to unload their 3500+ sq ft white elephants.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post

I've been to California. Some things can ONLY happen in Cali!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Thread necromancy FTW...

This is so funny. We should resurrect this in a year when the market still hasn't bottomed out. =P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island