Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,628,706 times

Advertisements

Northport is directly on the north shore, and is a little off the beaten path, but does have a good school system.

Huntington District 3 is not a good system, especially from 9 - 12.

Cold Spring Harbor also includes Lloyd Harbor - a top-notch school system, but unfortunately the housing prices are through the roof.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,151,273 times
Default College acceptance rates

Relayer said:

We have a strong music program and we just recently got the IB (International bacheloreate) program started there.

Did you see the article in Newsday on Sunday about Northport and Locust Valley (both IB) whining about their students not getting into their first choice colleges? Coincidence? I think not.

Oyster Bay was able to boast an excellent acceptance rate at Ivies and top rated universities. Oyster Bay also wisely rejected becoming IB several years ago.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 44,807 times
stay out of northport high breast cancer rates nobody seems to have the answer why

Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM

3,666 posts, read 6,547,946 times
I've only visited the other towns discussed on this board but I've lived in Northport and the surrounding area for twelve years. If there's a better place to live in terms of quality of life, beautiful homes, great sense of community and a genuine Main Street I haven't found it.

Quite frankly Northport is a bit magical and for most of my time living there it has always seemed worth the premium one pays to do so. House prices aren't the cheapest on Long Island but they're no worse than any other desirable area. Taxes are far from the worst, particularly within the Township of Huntington.

The shops and restaurants are truly great. The community events (e.g. Cow Harbor Day, Halloween on Main Street etc.) are right out of a television show. The schools and the programs they offer (e.g. music, gifted and talented) have a private school feel to them. The people are very, very friendly and look out for one another.

Some might say it's too far out but I suspect that's why it's been able to maintain this special quality for so long. The harbor, the private village beaches, the athletic programs for children are wonderful.

We're in the process of relocating out of the area and quite frankly it's killing us. If we ever move back to Long Island Northport is the only place I'd consider living.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM

3,666 posts, read 6,547,946 times
Default Supporting data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmover View Post
stay out of northport high breast cancer rates nobody seems to have the answer why
In my twelve years in Northport I don't know anyone who has breast cancer. I checked with my wife who has somewhere close to one hundred close and personal friends in Northport and she doesn't know of anyone either.

What data do you have to support your statement?

Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 PM

672 posts, read 897,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
In my twelve years in Northport I don't know anyone who has breast cancer. I checked with my wife who has somewhere close to one hundred close and personal friends in Northport and she doesn't know of anyone either.

What data do you have to support your statement?
Years ago I think they did some kind of research. I believe the conclusion was that women living in within a 5 square mile area of the Kings Park Dump had higher rates of breast cancer.

Take that for what it is worth. I have lived in Smithtown, about 2 miles from the dump, for 20 years and don't know anyone who has had breast cancer.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 PM

30 posts, read 228,371 times
I grew up in Fort Salonga and now live further east in Port Jefferson. I'll be making the move back to my roots shortly.

Don't get me wrong... PJ is very nice- but in my opinion, it lacks the soul of the Northport/Huntington area.

My picks would be any of the following: Cold Spring Harbor, Loyd Harbor, Huntington Bay/Village, Centerport, Northport or Fort Salonga. They are all magnificent, highly desirable towns with great schools.

I'm very partial to Suffolk North Shore

Old 05-11-2007, 05:01 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,082,627 times
Try www.toxicstargeting.com. You can look at each town (click site map) on the left and what is toxic near there. Any town I want to move to I also google the town name and landfill, toxic, etc, and have found many a landfill that worried me.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,640,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
Years ago I think they did some kind of research. I believe the conclusion was that women living in within a 5 square mile area of the Kings Park Dump had higher rates of breast cancer.

Take that for what it is worth. I have lived in Smithtown, about 2 miles from the dump, for 20 years and don't know anyone who has had breast cancer.
Actually this was hearsay and was always refuted. No one never found any concrete evidence of this. As far as I know.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 20,718 times
[quote=North Shore resident;444533]For the person looking for the best public schools on the North Shore with a smalltown feel, consider:

Jericho
Oyster Bay
Manhasset
Roslyn
Cold Spring Harbor
Wheatley

Syosset

I disagree with Jericho. Great school district, but where is the town? Hicksville has lots of shopping, but it isn't a "town" and doesn't have nice stores. Right off the Northern State, LIE and 106/107...I never understood the appeal of this area, other than the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island