Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wknowledge View Post
Bottom line is brookhaven sucks!!!!!!!!!! And so does cablevision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Any1 buying 1080p tvs is not ever goin to be able to reach that resolution- ur tv might be capable but cablevision is not capable of bringing this resolution to the customers home!you are all wasting ur money.Cablevision can bring 1080i at most, so until they rip theyre lines up and start over they cant compete. i dont no why verizon isnt squashing these guys with the truth!The fios product has endles possibilities and the hsi(high speed internet) is much faster than that of optimum. cablevsion is still running commercials in these areas comparing themselves to outdated verizon products such as dsl. Brookhaven wake up and let the community join the rest of the world- Fios has been available on the west coast for 3 years already WTF - are people in utah light years ahead of new yorkers! thats the way the dolans wanna keep it! And do sumthing w the knicks already for the love of god!
As I said before, I know that they are sending low grade pixilated Mpeg crap to my TV and spending all of the money I pay them to discredit Verizon, but stupid Verizon still doesn't have FIOS TV where I live, only the internet and phone. GRRRRRRRRRR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:58 AM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
I know that cablevision, along with most cable companies compress their signal to 720p if I'm not mistaken. But I thought if you used an HDMI cable you would get the uncompressed signal. There is a way you can even set your cable box up so that it switches the tv to the best setting without you having to change to 720, 1080i, 1080p on the tv. Its automatic.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Maybe I'm just lucky (doubt it), but I've never experienced "slow" internet with cablevision, and I can count the times I've had isses with my phone service on one hand over 4 years.

Could it be an equipment issue for some of you?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky (doubt it), but I've never experienced "slow" internet with cablevision, and I can count the times I've had isses with my phone service on one hand over 4 years.

I definitely slows down depending when you use it..if you use it during the day when everyone else is at work, it flies. Between 7 and 8pm, it slows down noticeably.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
Quote:

I'm sure that area to area has it's own unique experience....sounds like an amusement park ride, doesn't it ?

Things won't be perfect, for everyone, but I believe that what's at the heart of SOME of the complaints is a natural chafing, if you will, with the Monopoly, CV has had, LIKE A VICE, on the Island, for years.

Monopoly and the POWER they seem to have exerted, and continually seem to have, on local politicians here, as exibhited with FIOS's spotty roll out, just twists the knife in deeper ! It's something on a purely visceral level.

There is, especially, a strong feeling of how CV has handcuffed,
Customers' Freedom of Choosing For Something (ie ANYTHING) Better !

This is something, that we in this country hold sacred.

When it's messed with, even in the most subtlest way, we naturally just don't like it !

People are TIRED of CV, just on general principles ! Any reason just justifies it MORE.

NEWSDAY ownership confirms, what ?...that they have the VICE tightening, even MORE !

Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:

Depends on where you live I guess. I think out in eastern Nassau and Suffolk CV is better, but central and western Nassau the nodes are overloaded and it causes problems.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
well, just talked with kathleen walsh, who is a councilwoman for town of brookhaven. She said they would love for verizon to apply for a video franchise. It is verizon, that dosnt want to wire the rest of brookhaven. I think we need to start a petition for vz to wire up the rest of brookhaven. anyone interested?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
well, just talked with kathleen walsh, who is a councilwoman for town of brookhaven. She said they would love for verizon to apply for a video franchise. It is verizon, that dosnt want to wire the rest of brookhaven. I think we need to start a petition for vz to wire up the rest of brookhaven. anyone interested?
any idea what Verizon's reasons are for not wanting to wire the rest of Brookhaven?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
any idea what Verizon's reasons are for not wanting to wire the rest of Brookhaven?

Yes, they are pouring all thier money into the city, and buffalo(go figure). I really dont understand why vz gave up on brookhaven. About half of it is wired already. A typical stupid move from the company i work for.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
I have an email question into the Public Service Commission about this...I hope they answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island