Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times

Advertisements

Hi there

Is it just me or in this recession are people getting angrier. I am in the service business and have had a wonderful time during the 17 years of business. But this year clients just seem to want more service, are much less inclined to put themselves out for our service and think they can yell and scream at our employees.

Yesterday we had two incidences that clients just were obnioxious. One wanted us to return at no cost to her ; screamed and yelled at my secretary because we werent standing by our name ; she felt that by spending $45 she had the right to do this. Then the other woman yelled at our technican as she wasnt happy with what he did. Before yelling at him, she yelled and cursed at our secretary.

What is with people these days. Clients who spend thousands with us annually are fine, but its the clients who spend not even $100 per year think that they can abuse us. They get the very same treatment no matter what they spend ; they also demand that we get there at certain times, certain days, and are just not willing to comprehend that on a given day they are one of 70 clients serviced. we try to accomodate every clients need, but this year it is just getting harder and harder.

Thanks for listening ; wondering if anyone else has or sees the same problem

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
are you working in nassau county? I notice it only in western suffolk & nassau.
My DH says his Hamptons clients are nicer than ever, even all of the new to the hamptons Europeans.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 AM

nope. we work mainly in western suffolk. I agree with Hamptons ; they are absolutely fine.

d

Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
I really think that the nation, on the whole, is alittle grumpy lately, most likely due to the economy, upcoming elections, etc. People are alittle less optimistic. Media does not help at all......do the ever show the positive side of things?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,366 times
Well, I think that someone who spends $100 is just as important as someone who spends thousands.

Should people scream at you? No. But maybe the people who only spend $100 are the ones who really need to watch their money and feel like they have to fight for it because they just don't have it to waste. I can understand that. What is a drop in the bucket to one is maybe a weeks worth of fodd shopping to another.

I was in retail for a long time. I always kept a smile, especially when people were yelling at me. Not that I didn't cry once in a while though. Sorry you're getting battered by the customers.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Being in a service business myself, if a client is abusive towards me or my staff it is my policy to immediately drop him or her as a client. It's just not worth it.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Being in a service business myself, if a client is abusive towards me or my staff it is my policy to immediately drop him or her as a client. It's just not worth it.
Yep, same way here, sometimes the best business choice is not accepting a new client! Not an easy choice, but worth it in the end.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 PM

I totally agree. Yes, every single customer is treated the same way no matter what they pay. But there is only enough abuse my staff can put up with. We do accomodate every customer.

Thanks ; at least I know I am not alone

d

Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Unfortunately when you fill up your tank at the pump it's like making a car payment and every time people think that it might get better George W. brings us back to reality. It's very tough for most and people are flipping out because of it. Unfortunately they should be directing it to others not the service people,etc...

Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,932 times
Go to hell you son of a b---- !!!lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island