Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 PM

10 posts, read 38,962 times

Advertisements

I know this started of as a thread about Cathedral Gardens co-ops, but it seems to have taken a turn (as they often do on this forum).

Cathedral Gardens is located in both West Hempstead and Hempstead. It is a really nice area regardless of what the address says. Just like Garden City it borders some of the bad areas of Hempstead.

Many people with children that can afford to buy a house in Cathedral Gardens can usually afford to send their children to private school and may even prefer it. I know people that live in expensive areas with great school districts that still prefer private school for their children.

When it come to the area people either get it or they don't. There are some people that have bought there and feel they have received a great deal on a beautiful home. There are others that wouldn't live there if you paid them.

For me, I see this as an analogy. I hear a lot of news stories about all the violence and terrorist attacks on going in Israel. I think to myself that is one of the last places I would want to live, but then I read other stories like this:

Interest rate rises failing to cool Israel property market amid bubble fears | Middle East | News

It talks about how fast the real estate market in Israel is going up and how the government is trying to slow it down by requiring large down payments and raising interest rates to avoid a real estate bubble.

It makes me realize that you can't dismiss an entire area, town, country, etc.. based on one side of the story. You really need to investigate and decide for yourself what is right for you. It really is just a matter of perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 78,396 times
Default Time to Revitalize Again

So much confusion over Cathedral Gardens.. Decided it was time to again clarify for anyone looking for a great place to live ....Those who know the area and like living in a safe, clean, quiet and exceptionally well maintained complex with beautiful flowering gardens ..... at an affordable price.... have found Cathedral Gardens Cooperatives. And yes, the complex is in Cathedral Gardens "hamlet" which, as anyone from the area would know, runs from Westminster Road to the west, to Cathedral Ave in the east....From Fulton Ave (Hempstead Tpke) in the south to the Garden City Border to the north. This little piece of heaven is well known locally and offers large mansion type homes as well as smaller neighborhood colonials. Like Garden City South, there are multiple post offices servicing the area. For Cathedral Gardens - it is either the West Hempstead PO or the Hempstead PO..... AND Sacred Heart Academy, an exceptionally well known High School, is located in Cathedral Gardens Hempstead! The school is growing and expanding...so those who have written previous posts have apparently not visited the area !! Take the time to go look for yourself before you believe what you read.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
It's still in Hempstead schools, and it's not enough to be paying exhorbitant taxes there but you have the realtors telling you to send your kids to private school on top of that.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM

7,882 posts, read 9,075,543 times
Anne must have more units up for sale if a 5 year old thread is back

Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,711,768 times
I guess they have to call it that since Garden City South and East Garden City are both taken

No, seriously, Cathedral Gardens is really nice, but I can't justify those taxes with Hempstead schools. Rezone them to West Hempstead, and we're all good

Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,944 times
Default Cathedral Gardens CoOp Thumbs Up

I have been a shareholder in this complex for over 6 years and love it. The place has been referred to as "The best kept secret in Nassau County" by the NY times and how right they are. To clarify location, yes, it is in the Hempstead Post Office, BUT it is in a small sub division referred to as Cathedral Gardens which over laps into parts of West Hempstead. And yes, it is just over the border from Garden City so is conveniently located. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and it is safe and quiet. The people who live in the complex are the best neighbors I could ever want. Highly recommend the place, but seeing is believing. You should consider looking before judging.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:14 PM

7,882 posts, read 9,075,543 times
Getting the coop ready to be listed?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,711,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOp owner View Post
I have been a shareholder in this complex for over 6 years and love it. The place has been referred to as "The best kept secret in Nassau County" by the NY times and how right they are. To clarify location, yes, it is in the Hempstead Post Office, BUT it is in a small sub division referred to as Cathedral Gardens which over laps into parts of West Hempstead. And yes, it is just over the border from Garden City so is conveniently located. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained and it is safe and quiet. The people who live in the complex are the best neighbors I could ever want. Highly recommend the place, but seeing is believing. You should consider looking before judging.
Stop being so coy and just list the MLS number

The bottom line is that you're still zoned to Hempstead schools and services. No thanks

Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,210,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annehagen View Post
So much confusion over Cathedral Gardens.. Decided it was time to again clarify for anyone looking for a great place to live ....Those who know the area and like living in a safe, clean, quiet and exceptionally well maintained complex with beautiful flowering gardens ..... at an affordable price.... have found Cathedral Gardens Cooperatives. And yes, the complex is in Cathedral Gardens "hamlet" which, as anyone from the area would know, runs from Westminster Road to the west, to Cathedral Ave in the east....From Fulton Ave (Hempstead Tpke) in the south to the Garden City Border to the north. This little piece of heaven is well known locally and offers large mansion type homes as well as smaller neighborhood colonials. Like Garden City South, there are multiple post offices servicing the area. For Cathedral Gardens - it is either the West Hempstead PO or the Hempstead PO..... AND Sacred Heart Academy, an exceptionally well known High School, is located in Cathedral Gardens Hempstead! The school is growing and expanding...so those who have written previous posts have apparently not visited the area !! Take the time to go look for yourself before you believe what you read.

I'm originally from Nassau County and when I was in my teens, I had friends in Cathedral Gardens. Cathedral Gardens was over rated and the taxes were and still are ridiculous. The fact that it is right next to Terrace Ave. is very scary. There are some nice homes, but there is not much property for the size of the homes. I actually looked into Cathedral Gardens in the 1980's when I was buying a home. I chose Bellerose Village over Cathedral Gardens, because of taxes, schools and not being near to one of the the most dangerous areas on Long Island. I really see that you have a bias because you sell there. Bottom line, would you recommend Cathedral Gardens as a neighborhood to either your relatives or close friends. I really don't think you would.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
I've owned an apartment in Cathedral Gardens since 2009. It's clean, safe, and quiet. It's located in Hempstead, basically on the borders of Garden City and West Hempstead, nestled between a half a dozen colleges/universities, train stations, and every other amenity on the Island. I commute to Manhattan for work and most of my family lives in northern Nassau. So, this place is perfect! If you're not currently in a position to buy a unit, if definitely consider renting there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island