Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 AM

23 posts, read 93,449 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody...I have posted a couple of times and have been lurking for a while. I am familiar with the general consensus on Huntington Station but I am facing a tough dilemma and I wanted some opinions.

We found 2 cute homes in Huntington Station within 2 blocks from each other. One is on Putnam Pl. The other is on Stevens Pl. We have a 9 month old daughter and this is our first home. I understand that quality of homes and demographics in Huntington Station change from block to block. The homes that we are looking at are 4 blocks away (in one direction) from New York Ave and 16th st (Little El Salvador).Four blocks in the opposite direction is Meadowbrook Dr, a windy, hilly, tree lined community with homes in the 425-600k price range. We met 4 different people on the blocks that we are looking to buy in and they have nothing but praise about the neighborhood. No break-ins....no Police...nothing!!
We saw lots of children playing in the streets/yards and parents walking their babies in strollers. It appears that the Putnam, Stevens, Miller and Willets are comprised of mostly young white families or older white families with a little bit of hispanics scattered here and there.
I am very open to having my daughter experience racial and cultural diversity (my father is Dominican and my mother is an american Jew)...but I question the neighborhood a bit.
Unfortunately...no matter where you live on LI there is some level of risk...considering our price point (under 400k)....but at the end of the day...should I have to worry about which direction my wife and daughter go to take a walk? I also know plenty of other people who live and grew up in Huntington Station who love it. I grew up in Bayside Queens and experienced a bunch of diversity, gangs, etc...but that was 20 years ago!! Should I keep looking...should I make a bid?? Any advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
I looked up the two homes. That area of Huntington Station is not too bad, but it is boarderline and could be subject to "creep" over the next several years. Right now, though, it is a pretty solid area. The two houses look nice too!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington Station

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington Station:

Huntington Station is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington Station in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Hamlet of Huntington; on the east by the Hamlet of Huntington and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of South Huntington and the Hamlet of West Hills; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington Station has a different border than does the "Huntington Station, NY 11746" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station and a place can have other than a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington Station): places that have a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington Station are in the Hamlet of Huntington, the Hamlet of South Huntington, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of West Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington Station with a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 22,421 times
Default To Tom Moser

What about the low numbered streets in Huntington Stationlike 8th or 9th near NY Avenue and Pulaski? Is that gang infested? Should I be worried as a gringo moving into la cucharcha land?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:25 PM

292 posts, read 820,060 times
In that price point I think you can do much better in Greenlawn, no?

I agree with Tom - I know that area and it's nice, but definitely subject to "creep" (love that term) - also - take a drive down Route 110 in that area around 10 p.m. some night and see if you really want to live around the corner from that.

Is that Huntington or S. Huntington schools there? I know the dividing line is right there.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:39 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
My Grandmother's home is in Huntington Station off East Rogues Path & Pulaski Rd. Just at the edge of Greenlawn basically. It is still a very nice area, nicer than where I grew up in East Northport. It is technically only a few blocks from the train station. You can be only a block or 2 away from 110 and be in a decent area.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My Grandmother's home is in Huntington Station off East Rogues Path & Pulaski Rd. Just at the edge of Greenlawn basically. It is still a very nice area, nicer than where I grew up in East Northport. It is technically only a few blocks from the train station. You can be only a block or 2 away from 110 and be in a decent area.

Thanks for your positive comments about Hunt. Station!
I guess as a non-RE agent you have more credibility on this forum when it comes to neighborhoods

BTW, East Rogues Path starts at Maplewood Rd (one block away from Park Ave) and ends at Lenox Rd (three blocks away from Pulaski Rd). My current home is in that area as well, and it is indeed very nice! Houses are owner occupied and homeowners take pride in and take care of their homes and yards; most homes have between 1/3 and 1/2 acre of property.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks for your positive comments about Hunt. Station!
I guess as a non-RE agent you have more credibility on this forum when it comes to neighborhoods

BTW, East Rogues Path starts at Maplewood Rd (one block away from Park Ave) and ends at Lenox Rd (three blocks away from Pulaski Rd). My current home is in that area as well, and it is indeed very nice! Houses are owner occupied and homeowners take pride in and take care of their homes and yards; most homes have between 1/3 and 1/2 acre of property.
Well, I live in Southern California so I have an entirely different concept of what a "dangerous neighborhood" is. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island