Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM

29 posts, read 79,821 times

Advertisements

[b]I am origionally from Lindenhurst and my mom owns two home there. I think the prices are rediculous.. but since I am to inherit the homes I hope they stay high, but for anyone looking I say move to Texas as I did 30 years ago. You get 100 times more for your money. I live north of Houston in the woodlands and it is growing with yankees every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM

36 posts, read 120,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
I think its hilarious hearing all of your rants. Althought the island is expensive in some areas, there are still some affordable houses/areas. I grew up in N. Merrick, loved the area, great schools, neighbors - still have yearly block parties, etc. My parents still live there and love it even though taxes have gone up (where hasnt it).

My best friend who is a long island teacher and so is his wife just bought a house in merrick for 385,000. Granted its small and needs work over time, its still a great house in a great location. The house was listed at 415,000. The put around 75k down and have a pmt of 2,000. They are teachers mind you who barely make over 100,000 and thery might not be driving mercedes but they are still ok.

My sister who makes less just bought a townhouse in bellmore for 325,000 with a lot less down and ditto, shes enjoyong life.

As far as mercedes/lexus etc, its all who you hang with and where you go. When I come home to visit, I still go to the local bars/delis and see people I went to high school with and really have that small town feel. I have been to roosevelt field mall recently and athough packed, its a freakin mall - what do you want. I was in a mall in virgina a couple weeks ago and suprise people it wasnt much different from long island. BMWS, neiman marcus, nordstrom, etc.

Long island has soo much to offer, and I plan on coming back sometime soon, Im just enjoying Fl a little too much now.

Luke B, you are right on target. My sister moved back to LI 2 years ago and though sometimes she lives beyond her means (and her hubby hates it), they can afford it, although he did get laid off but is finishing school to be a teacher - who by the way make quite a bit more (which is why the education is so much better) every state everyone's ranting about. My older brother has never left - his automotive business has its moments, but he can't imagine living anywhere else. He has his complaints about the economy, but having lived in a couple of different states I can assure everyone of this, unless you are a doctor, lawyer or in a field guaranteed to make buttloads of money, you will find cheaper housing and make quite a bit less money - that's my own personal experience. I work in the legal field - have for 22 years and I've seen it all. I live 50 miles North of Houston (because I can't afford living 'in' the city of Houston and own a house because of house prices) and depending on where you live, it's pretty much the same everywhere. It is higher back home, but there are people who can (and do) afford it without killing themselves to do it. Someone on another post mentioned The Woodlands, Texas - which is also North of Houston. It's very nice there, but you don't have the diversity you do back on Long Island, the neighborhoods, block parties, everything is different and the taxes, when I was looking where upwards of 8-10K a year, not to mention HOA dues - so it's everywhere. I have to work in DT Houston and commute because they wouldn't pay me what I make unless I did...so it's everywhere. When I lived in S. Florida unless you speak spanish working in my field, the pay is horrible - I've seen it all and I'm only 40.

I am probably going to move back and I think I'll just wait for a foreclosure...by the way, I don't know who said it about how Long Islanders don't eat at home, my sister and her family have a sit-down dinner with their daughter every night - Sunday Italian is big with us. That's just a matter of choice for those who eat out all the time...just like those who never take lunch to work. Costs are high, but it's not just there - a lot of it is a matter of choice.

Reality is, someone is always going to have something to say about Long Island, or anywhere they live for that matter - and the comment someone made yesterday was "it's always something" -

Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 PM

140 posts, read 606,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
If things do break apart and we go into an economic meltdown like in 1929 then expect things to go really bad. We are not the same country we were in the 1930s.

Just a little history. The United States has been riding a wave of prosperity since World War II that allowed the working classs to live a middle class lifestyle, buy cars and TVs and buy homes in the suburbs. I think that wave maybe over. We are now living on borrowed time and borrowed money from China.

Look at Chine. It is industrializing at an amzing pace. Yes, it is polluted, but their cities are growing and they are optimistic about the future. They should be since their quality of life is improving. Is your quality of life improving?
Sure, China is now emerging and industrializing at an amazing pace, with a little help from yours truly. Interesting read:
http://financialservices.house.gov/m...f/071902or.pdf

Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,515 times
I live in Pa now but need to move back to Baldwin or around there, Freeport, Oceanside....doesnt matter but dont have alot to spend. Any suggestions???

Old 08-08-2008, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,267 times
Default Question about Real Estate Taxes?

Hello everyone, We are trying to buy house for the first time, in Long Island or Staten Island with good commute to NYC. We can afford about 600K-650K with low taxes in SI or about 500K-550K in LI. What I am confused about is; should I get more expensive house with lower taxes or chipper house with higher taxes?
I heard some very scary stories that in Long Island taxes may be increased double sometimes? Please advise.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:18 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivona Kacaj View Post
Hello everyone, We are trying to buy house for the first time, in Long Island or Staten Island with good commute to NYC. We can afford about 600K-650K with low taxes in SI or about 500K-550K in LI. What I am confused about is; should I get more expensive house with lower taxes or chipper house with higher taxes?
I heard some very scary stories that in Long Island taxes may be increased double sometimes? Please advise.
Taxes have increased 75% in the last 4- 5 years. they are now trying to put a cap on schools ability to raise the taxes (which account for 65% of your taxes.. and are the reason for such high increases) at a max 4% a year. A good idea!! but the taxes on LI are insane.

I'm leaving LI for PA in November!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:34 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivona Kacaj View Post
It really comes down to where you feel more comfortable and if you need to use the school system. The schools system on LI will, on the whole, be better than SI. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Taxes have increased 75% in the last 4- 5 years. they are now trying to put a cap on schools ability to raise the taxes (which account for 65% of your taxes.. and are the reason for such high increases) at a max 4% a year. A good idea!! but the taxes on LI are insane.

I'm leaving LI for PA in November!
Hate to live in your part of LI. In 5 years, my taxes have gone up 40% or about 8% per year. Still too high but not as bad as 75%.

Look at Albany as the primary reason for the increase, not your school district. Why does LI get only 80% of our tax dollars back in services? Where is the lottery money going? Education? I do not think so.....

Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,073 times
that is kool

Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times
It's good to see that racism isn't dead on Long Island. I couldn't let such a bigoted, disgusting post just stand like this. Have you ever stepped in a Compare Foods? I'll bet you will find that it's cleaner than your local King Kullen or Waldbaums, the produce and meat are fresher, and the prices are much, much better. Sure, there more minorities shopping in their stores than in others, but good for them for finding a business model that works. At the one where I shop (Merrick Road in Freeport), they have a whole wall just for all the certificates and plaques they've received from the community for sponsorships and other things. Anyone that's working that hard to do good has my support.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-17-2008 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: racist remarks (even from long ago) edited out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island