Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have a friend who I went to HS with and also college with. She taught in the high school we went to. She was just going into her tenure year this year. At the very end of the school year, the Principal gave her a "U" for no logical reason. She had this one very difficult class, and told the Dean/AP about it early in the year so they would be aware of this problem. They gave her S ratings throughout the year despite that class, and gave her a "U" at the end of the year because of bad classroom management or something like that; when the entire year they mentioned nothing about that. Sounds like they're just trying to push her out since she's approaching tenure. I hear this happening all over Long Island.

Not to be difficult, but classroom management problems are serious. I have had difficult classes,but I have managed, like all teachers. Having a difficult class is not an excuse for poor classroom management. I too have noticed that tenure is becoming harder to earn on LI. When I got my tenure 2 years ago, I really had to work for it. But to be honest, when people don't get tenure, nobody is really surprised, except that person. I am sure your friend is lovely, but doubt they just let her go because she is approaching tenure. Perhaps she didn't improve in certain areas that they requested her to?? Keep in mind there are 500 other qualified teachers salivating for her job, why would a district keep someone that doesn't meet their specific standards when they could find someone that does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 AM

600 posts, read 2,090,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
That's not true. There are three members of my department alone that are now tenured that started out as leave replacements. I would say at least 15-20 of our 90 member faculty started as leave replacements. I teach at a very good Nassau public HS and they love to hire leave replacement as tenure track teachers!!!! In a sense, they get to test drive you and make sure that you work out before they give you a commitment. The only leave replacement teachers that are not asked back are those that are not good, or there is no opening for them for the next school year. Good leave replacements almost always get hired in district!!!
Well, I think we are both right actually. You and others have proven me wrong: taking a LR job is an excellent way to get your foot in the door if you are wiing to take the leap.

However, though impractical and stubborn (and probably self-defeating) I believe I am correct on the ideological sense. School districts like LR's because they are desperate people who they owe nothing to and the time doesn't count towards tenure. On another planet, if someone stood up to this system perhaps the school districts wouldn't have it so easy...

Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Well, I think we are both right actually. You and others have proven me wrong: taking a LR job is an excellent way to get your foot in the door if you are wiing to take the leap.

However, though impractical and stubborn (and probably self-defeating) I believe I am correct on the ideological sense. School districts like LR's because they are desperate people who they owe nothing to and the time doesn't count towards tenure. On another planet, if someone stood up to this system perhaps the school districts wouldn't have it so easy...

Actually, in my school district, leave replacement time definately counts towards tenure!!! I know it is this way in many (but I can't speak for all districts).

Also, schools only offer leave replacements if that position exists; they don't make up leave replacement positions to get desperate people...if a position is tenure track, they must offer it as tenure track. Schools need to a fill a position, but due to circumstances, they can't guarentee that position will be available next year. That is when they offer leaves.

My advice is to always take a tenure track position over a leave replacement...but leave replacementsshouldn't be passed up if that is your only job offer. They really can lead to a tenure job. Also, if a leave is really good, but a position is not available, I have seen department chairs recommend them to friends in other districts for interviews. It is a great way to get your foot in the door.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM

237 posts, read 855,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO 2B View Post
I have no problem teaching in the city, I entered my application over 3 week ago, and haven't herd anything back. Is out of state experience no good?
I am certified in Math 7-12.
Math is definitly a need area. What I did was go to a job fair armed with my resume and you can speak with dozens of principals. If they like you they will take your resume and you will be contacted for an interview. Good luck

Old 03-09-2009, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,422 times
llama08

Since you make such a big thing about being "above average" and that you had "above average" things on your resume would you mind sharing some of them. You are not revealing your identity so this should be easy.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI User View Post
llama08

Since you make such a big thing about being "above average" and that you had "above average" things on your resume would you mind sharing some of them. You are not revealing your identity so this should be easy.
Sure

I was on the hiring committee and the only people that got called for interviews were people that stood out in some way. I guess I refer to it as above average...but you could also refer to it as different or unique experiences. I guess what I mean is that you need to stand out of 300-500 applicants to get that interview.

You can't create what isn't there, but I would recommend trying to do something now to "stand out".

Things such as: awards, research, past work experience, unique technology skills, associations, presentations, special programs, special certifications, etc.

Unfortunately, having good grades, a masters degree, and state certification is something most teachers in the field have. Having the extras may get you in the door. I wish they told us this in college because if more people knew that, they would have been ready for the brutal hiring process.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a job. Hope that answered your question.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Sure

I was on the hiring committee and the only people that got called for interviews were people that stood out in some way. I guess I refer to it as above average...but you could also refer to it as different or unique experiences. I guess what I mean is that you need to stand out of 300-500 applicants to get that interview.

You can't create what isn't there, but I would recommend trying to do something now to "stand out".

Things such as: awards, research, past work experience, unique technology skills, associations, presentations, special programs, special certifications, etc.

Unfortunately, having good grades, a masters degree, and state certification is something most teachers in the field have. Having the extras may get you in the door. I wish they told us this in college because if more people knew that, they would have been ready for the brutal hiring process.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a job. Hope that answered your question.

So would it be appropriate for me to mention that I grew up with special needs and looking for a job on LI now? (I teach in the Bronx at the moment).

Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
So would it be appropriate for me to mention that I grew up with special needs and looking for a job on LI now? (I teach in the Bronx at the moment).

I'm not sure...it really depends on you situation and I'm not sure that would be appropriate to place on a resume. I wouldn't emphasize anything that makes you stand out in the sense of: race, religion,disabilities because that is personal and should not factor into getting an interview unless it is somehow linked to your achievements/work experience. I meant achievements or associations that would enhance your teaching and what you bring to the school (ie: awards, study abroad, workshop presenting, running an afterschool club/sport) Anything that can be translated into additional skills.

(I was only on the hiring committee.....I'm by no means an expert..so you should do what makes you feel comfortable).

Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
I'm not sure...it really depends on you situation and I'm not sure that would be appropriate to place on a resume. I wouldn't emphasize anything that makes you stand out in the sense of: race, religion,disabilities because that is personal and should not factor into getting an interview unless it is somehow linked to your achievements/work experience. I meant achievements or associations that would enhance your teaching and what you bring to the school (ie: awards, study abroad, workshop presenting, running an afterschool club/sport) Anything that can be translated into additional skills.

(I was only on the hiring committee.....I'm by no means an expert..so you should do what makes you feel comfortable).

Well, it's something that makes me stand out and plays a big part in my achievement in life. I had to interview 11 times before I landed a teaching job in the city. I happened to bring it up in the discussion with the Principal (the only time I did in interviews). I told her that I want to teach my students that they can overcome any obstacle in order to achieve their potential. She really liked that answer. I believe that answer is what landed me the job.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 8,422 times
You still did not answer my question as to "What made YOU above average? You speak in generalities. As a teacher you expect a clear answer to a clear question so this should not be difficult.

Last edited by LI User; 05-01-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island