Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
If you say so..I know I am more north than south due to the proximity of the LIE and Northern State-being a native Queens girl, that to me says north-waterfront says north to you-it's fine either way.

PS. Thanks for the well wishes, Walter!!
Interesting on how Queens natives, as well as others, view LI.

I hope I did not offend you....I like Plainview..........good luck in your new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:29 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I have always divided the island into 3 parts: south shore, middle of the island (landlock) and north shore. I guess I take the word "shore" as its real meaning (adjoining a body of water). I never heard anyone call Levittown or Bethpage....south shore.

I guess its how you look at it.
I always thought of it the same way, but there's definitely exceptions in my mind. Places like Upper Brookville, Muttontown, Syosset, etc. don't even come close to touching any body of water but I'd still consider them north shore "gold coast" areas. Plainview I'd say is right in the middle, though, both geographically and culturally.

History lesson: Plainview is named as such because it sits atop the Ronkonkoma Moraine that formed most of Long Island out of glacial sediments around 13,000 years ago....and as such is at a higher elevation than surrounding areas, which afforded it's residents a good view of the very flat and sparsely populated Hempstead Plains to the southwest. Can't imagine it now, but at one time you could see all the way to Garden City from Plainview.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
I have always divided the island into 3 parts: south shore, middle of the island (landlock) and north shore. I guess I take the word "shore" as its real meaning (adjoining a body of water). I never heard anyone call Levittown or Bethpage....south shore.

I guess its how you look at it.
I would agree to a point. I would certainly consider Old Westbury to be N. Shore for example. Rockville Centre S. Shore, etc. I think the other poll said it...south of Sunrise and north of Jericho.

It's almost become more of a "lifestyle" than actual location/geography.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
I always thought of it the same way, but there's definitely exceptions in my mind. Places like Upper Brookville, Muttontown, Syosset, etc. don't even come close to touching any body of water but I'd still consider them north shore "gold coast" areas. Plainview I'd say is right in the middle, though, both geographically and culturally.
I believe Upper Brookville is very close to the water, but might not technically touch water.

An old BF's mother dated a man from Mill Neck. It was a world away from my home in Massapequa. At the time, I was too young to appreciate the area; now I wish I lived in that mansion on the Gold Coast.

I agree about Muttontown being Gold Coast, but don't feel Syosset can ever really attain that status. It is nice and close, but it will never be Gold Coast. Don't get me wrong -- I do believe Syosset is a lovely place.

Syosset is a gateway to the Gold Coast area. It's certainly nicer than the south shore development I was raised in, but it's not the old moneyed estate area that comes after it.

Quote:
History lesson: Plainview is named as such because it sits atop the Ronkonkoma Moraine that formed most of Long Island out of glacial sediments around 13,000 years ago....and as such is at a higher elevation than surrounding areas, which afforded it's residents a good view of the very flat and sparsely populated Hempstead Plains to the southwest. Can't imagine it now, but at one time you could see all the way to Garden City from Plainview
And do you know where the last remaining unmolested section of the Hempstead Plains is?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:11 PM

248 posts, read 873,207 times
KB-No offense taken, I hope you didn't take my response as being nasty..it wasn't meant to be so! Thanks to you for the well wishes as well...being from Queens, anything past the Port Washington exit on the LIE is "out there" but now that I am "out there," it doesn't seem so far..haha

Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I would agree to a point. I would certainly consider Old Westbury to be N. Shore for example. Rockville Centre S. Shore, etc. I think the other poll said it...south of Sunrise and north of Jericho.

It's almost become more of a "lifestyle" than actual location/geography.
That is a interesting statement, more of a "lifestyle" ...can you explain. Kinda like old money verse new money thing?

I'm not that sure that holds true though.....people who live in Centre Island have little comparison to people who live in Plainview or Dix Hills or even Oyster Bay/Bayville.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Upper Brookville

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe Upper Brookville is very close to the water, but might not technically touch water.

You're correct: the Village of Upper Brookville is very close to the water, but does not have a shoreline.

For those who may not be familiar with Upper Brookville:

Upper Brookville is a village (incorporated in 1932) in the north-central part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Upper Brookville in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Matinecock, the Village of Mill Neck and the Hamlet of Oyster Bay; on the east by the Hamlet of Oyster Bay and the Hamlet of East Norwich; on the south by the Village of Muttontown and the Village of Brookville; and, on the west by the Village of Old Brookville and the Village of Matinecock.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Upperbrookville-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Upper Brookville is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Upper Brookville have an "Oyster Bay, NY 11771", "East Norwich, NY 11732" and "Glen Head, NY 11545" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 07-02-2008, 05:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
That is a interesting statement, more of a "lifestyle" ...can you explain. Kinda like old money verse new money thing?

I'm not that sure that holds true though.....people who live in Centre Island have little comparison to people who live in Plainview or Dix Hills or even Oyster Bay/Bayville.
Observations from a kid who grew up on the south shore (depending on where we draw the line in Massapequa LOL) and who is transplanted to the north shore (N of 25A winter waterview.)

I sort of understand what GCGuy means. Growing up we south shore kids saw the north shore kids as snobby, preppy and privileged. Conversely they probably saw us as gritty, less educated and not well off. They were khakis and polo shirts, we were Levis and leathers. North shore girls were preps, south shore girls were guidettes. North shore was girls with short, clean haircuts, south shore was BIG hair.

The north shore kids were primarily white collared WASP while the south shore kids were most likely the offspring of blue collared parents. (I spent my first year of college in Albany and my upstate room mates thought every girl from LI was a *** -- go figure!)

Granted there were plenty of pockets of wealth on the south shore, however it was not as prevalent as it was on the north shore.

The south shore was where people lived when they were trying to make it; you moved to the north shore when you made it.

The north shore people had the golf clubs and yacht clubs while the south shore had public marinas and launches. (Not to say there weren't private clubs on the south shore -- they were in the pockets I mentioned earlier.)

What it boils down to, in retrospect, is the element of refinement. We perceived the north shore people as educated and refined, high end car drivers (when it meant something to drive a Mercedes) while we south shore people were trying to get by and do better while scraping by with an older car, clipping coupons and parents hoping we would make it into a college they could afford or get a scholarship.

From the south shore in the early 1980's, the grass certainly looked greener on the north side of the fence.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Well, I'm only looking on MLS, but all the houses in Plainview from 500-600K (Plainview-Old Bethpage schools) are over $10K with most in $11-$12K. Merrick is 8-12, with the average closer to 10--and almost all the 12k ones have oversized lots (bigger than 60x100).

I'm not knocking Plainview at all as it would have some real advantages for us (disadvantage being it's a little further out than we'd like, but one must compromise somewhere). Just that Town of Oyster Bay taxes are steep, and it effectively means that we can afford less house in Plainview than we could in Merrick because of the additional taxes.
decided to do the math. On a home assessed at $650,000 for the 08 tax year the taxes with basic star would be $13,295.40 in Plainview, $12,357.64 in Merrick. about $100 of the difference is due to town taxes, $230 due to water district, and the rest is school taxes.

In Great Neck by the way if you were somehow able to find a home for $650,000 the taxes would be $7,007.91.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
That's pretty much a big part of it.

But, it's also...N. Shore is generally more "green" and more space. S. Shore is more "beachy" and more dense. There are exceptions on both shores, but this is kinda where it seems to lie. There's also the Sound vs. the Ocean arguement.

I tell you, it seems the "LI Civil War" is much more pronounced in Nassau than Suffolk,no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Observations from a kid who grew up on the south shore (depending on where we draw the line in Massapequa LOL) and who is transplanted to the north shore (N of 25A winter waterview.)

I sort of understand what GCGuy means. Growing up we south shore kids saw the north shore kids as snobby, preppy and privileged. Conversely they probably saw us as gritty, less educated and not well off. They were khakis and polo shirts, we were Levis and leathers. North shore girls were preps, south shore girls were guidettes. North shore was girls with short, clean haircuts, south shore was BIG hair.

The north shore kids were primarily white collared WASP while the south shore kids were most likely the offspring of blue collared parents. (I spent my first year of college in Albany and my upstate room mates thought every girl from LI was a *** -- go figure!)

Granted there were plenty of pockets of wealth on the south shore, however it was not as prevalent as it was on the north shore.

The south shore was where people lived when they were trying to make it; you moved to the north shore when you made it.

The north shore people had the golf clubs and yacht clubs while the south shore had public marinas and launches. (Not to say there weren't private clubs on the south shore -- they were in the pockets I mentioned earlier.)

What it boils down to, in retrospect, is the element of refinement. We perceived the north shore people as educated and refined, high end car drivers (when it meant something to drive a Mercedes) while we south shore people were trying to get by and do better while scraping by with an older car, clipping coupons and parents hoping we would make it into a college they could afford or get a scholarship.

From the south shore in the early 1980's, the grass certainly looked greener on the north side of the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island