Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 59,758 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I will be purchasing our first home in the near future. The house we are looking at runs on oil and doesn't have a separate hot water heater. How concerned or unconcerned should I be? I have been reading the threads about oil burners and am bracing myslef for the costs associated with oil heating. Approximately how difficult is it and much does it cost to get a separate hot water heater?

Thank you so much for your replies in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
There has to be some type of hot water heater. Are you saying that the hot water is produced from the boiler by way of a internal coil?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Well a few questions:

How many people will be living in the house?
Is there gas service to the home now for cooking?
How old is the boiler?

What you have is a "tankless coil" which is will cost the most to produce domestic hot water. The other safety issue withtankless coils is they do not produce enough hot water at 120-140 degrees. So people increase the tempature of the hot water to 180+ degrees so that you use less but thats how children get serious burns.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:40 PM

There will be 4 people; my husband and I, 10 y.o. son and toddler.

The cooking is electric and I will find about the boiler later in the week.

Last edited by daviine; 07-01-2008 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: daughter pressed enter lol

Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Right on KB. And I would note that the max. hot water supply temp. allowed by code is 120 deg. Tankless coils for 2 adults, a washing machine, & a dishwasher would have a very hard time keeping up. In matter of fact if you utilzed them all at the same time you would def. run out of hot water. I would say the best remedy is to add a indirect storage tank. What do ya think KB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Well a few questions:

How many people will be living in the house?
Is there gas service to the home now for cooking?
How old is the boiler?

What you have is a "tankless coil" which is will cost the most to produce domestic hot water. The other safety issue withtankless coils is they do not produce enough hot water at 120-140 degrees. So people increase the tempature of the hot water to 180+ degrees so that you use less but thats how children get serious burns.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Right on KB. And I would note that the max. hot water supply temp. allowed by code is 120 deg. Tankless coils for 2 adults, a washing machine, & a dishwasher would have a very hard time keeping up. In matter of fact if you utilzed them all at the same time you would def. run out of hot water. I would say the best remedy is to add a indirect storage tank. What do ya think KB?
Indirect fired stainless steel storage tank is the way to go.....$800-$1000 plus instaltion but itsa worth every penny.

Rock,
There is some talk about raising the tempature to 140 degrees because some bacteria can live above 120 degrees (legionella) but with our teated water, I think 120 is just fine.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
Tankless boilers are common in Europe, but I wonder about them in the States. Dishwashers and washing machines there are fully self heating (even American washing machines with a heater only boost the temperature, not heat all the water). We had a tankless combi boiler (gas, not electric--did heating and hot water) and they are VERY efficient and cost effective, but they can't cope with major demands on hot water. Even in the UK they say not to install one if you have 2 bathrooms.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Tankless boilers are common in Europe, but I wonder about them in the States. Dishwashers and washing machines there are fully self heating (even American washing machines with a heater only boost the temperature, not heat all the water). We had a tankless combi boiler (gas, not electric--did heating and hot water) and they are VERY efficient and cost effective, but they can't cope with major demands on hot water. Even in the UK they say not to install one if you have 2 bathrooms.
We are talking about 2 different things: in Europe & Japan & what you are talking about is called a "tankless water heater" in those countries. In the US they are called "instantanous hot water heater". Although the industry calles them "tankless water heater.

In the US , the old school intergrated hot water coils in a boiler is commonly know as a tankless hot water or coil.

Confused.....lol.

What you are speaking about is very efficient but still has not really caught on in the states for a # of reasons. In certain situations , they are great.

The problem is:

#1) We use much more hot water than other countries.
#2) Expensive....
#3) Parts replacement

The old hot water coils are very inefficient and need replacement.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Good evening everyone..or good morning!

Thanks so much for your input...I have to say that the home inspector was impressed with all of my questions....but most of my "knowledge" came from lurking on these boards.

That being said, here is the preliminary/unofficial information on the boiler. I don't have the report yet so this is off of my memory-- The boiler is a Malibu brand and is "beyond its useful life"; the RE agent says that it is about 30 years old but will double check. The HI says that there isn't really much room for a separate hot water heater with the way that the house is setup.

I'd like to do additional research on boilers since it seems that this house will need one in the future....where should I begin and who sells them? Also, what does it even cost to get a boiler?

Thanks again in advance.

Last edited by daviine; 07-02-2008 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviine View Post
Good evening everyone..or good morning!

Thanks so much for your input...I have to say that the home inspector was impressed with all of my questions....but most of my "knowledge" came from lurking on these boards.

That being said, here is the preliminary/unofficial information on the boiler. I don't have the report yet so this is off of my memory-- The boiler is a Malibu brand and is "beyond its useful life"; the RE agent says that it is about 30 years old but will double check. The HI says that there isn't really much room for a separate hot water heater with the way that the house is setup.

I'd like to do additional research on boilers since it seems that this house will need one in the future....where should I begin and who sells them? Also, what does it even cost to get a boiler?

Thanks again in advance.
Malibu= not so good......

To do a system correctly, $5000-7000 thousand dollars.

Plumbers will purchase and install your boiler....get a few qoutes.

Why no room for hot water heater? Is the hous on a slab? Is it a Levitt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island