Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,507 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. First post, long time lurker. For those of you who live in Mineola, is there a specific area which I would not want to live in? Is it better be above OCR towards the pkwy or below? Near the parks (i.e. Wilson) or not near the parks? Better towards Carle Place area or New Hyde Park? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.. looking to move to this area shortly and aggressively looking for the "one".. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
I've never seen a "bad" area of Mineola, I like the areas north of OCR.....good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 AM

146 posts, read 840,324 times
I'm in and out of Mineola everyday and personally think the town gets a bum wrap. The schools are average, but overall, it seems like a great place to live. You have people who take care of their homes and the protection of the County Seat. The park section is nice but gets a lot of school day/foot traffic. It's also closer to the train which could be good or bad. For that reason, I am partial to the Lawns section, north of Jericho. Quiet, nice and close to shopping - with a little less congestion.

I've never really been able to figure out the section by Wilson Park. I know some of those homes are zoned for Carle Place schools. The look and feel of that pocket leaves me a bit flat.

Good luck! As long as you're not on top of Mineola Blvd., I don't think you can go wrong.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
I'm in and out of Mineola everyday and personally think the town gets a bum wrap. The schools are average, but overall, it seems like a great place to live. You have people who take care of their homes and the protection of the County Seat. The park section is nice but gets a lot of school day/foot traffic. It's also closer to the train which could be good or bad. For that reason, I am partial to the Lawns section, north of Jericho. Quiet, nice and close to shopping - with a little less congestion.

I've never really been able to figure out the section by Wilson Park. I know some of those homes are zoned for Carle Place schools. The look and feel of that pocket leaves me a bit flat.

Good luck! As long as you're not on top of Mineola Blvd., I don't think you can go wrong.
Whats the part directly south of Chaminade called?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
The area will only get better as they build up the downtown area. I live right near it and can't wait for the 9 story 250 condo Winston to be built on OCR.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM

146 posts, read 840,324 times
South of Chaminade is the Park section...

Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Mineola

For those who may not be familiar with Mineola:

Mineola is a village (incorporated in 1906) in the south-central part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Mineola in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Herricks, The Village of Williston Park, the Village of East Williston and the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; on the east by the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Westbury and the Hamlet of Carle Place; on the south by the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); and on the west by the Hamlet of Garden City Park.

The Village of Mineola has a different border than does the "Mineola, NY 11501" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address and not be in the Village of Mineola and a place can be in the Village of Mineola and have other than a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address): places that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address that are not in the Village of Mineola are in the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Mineola with a "Williston Park, NY 11596" and "Carle Place, NY 11514" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
The only somewhat iffy area of Mineola I can think of is Willis Ave and Jericho, specifically the apartments above the stores. Although it has gotten better since the big apartment building near the elementary school went upscale coop.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,396 times
I used to date a girl who lived in Williston Park and went to Mineola schools... that area was nice, reminded me a lot of Queens in housing style, but also pretty pricey for what you're getting.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Garden City

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
... and the protection of the County Seat.

In case you were unaware, the County Seat is located to the immediate south of the Village of Mineola in the Village of Garden City ("Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address).

For those who may not be familiar with Garden City:

Garden City is a village (incorporated in 1919) in the north-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the center of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Village of Mineola and the Hamlet of Carle Place, all in the Town of North Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Garden City; on the south by the Village of Hempstead, the Hamlet of West Hempstead, the Hamlet of Garden City South and the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, on the west by the Village of Stewart Manor and the Village of New Hyde Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Garden-city-map.gif (broken link)

Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address that are not in the Village of Garden City are in the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of Garden City South, the Hamlet of Franklin Square and the Village of Stewart Manor; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Garden City that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address. (The Nassau County county seat is in that part of the Village of Garden City that has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island