Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 PM

138 posts, read 600,779 times

Advertisements

I am going to be building a house in Quogue. Not East Quogue but Quogue.
I think this town is amazing, but small and may be hard to get used to.

Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 AM

5 posts, read 28,414 times
I Am A Longtime Resident And Business Owner In The Hamptons And Would Like To Congratulate You On You New Home. Quogue On The Other Hand Is Not Really A Hampton...as The Prices Skyrocketed In The Hampton Bridgehampton, Southampton East Hampton The Realtors Started Pushing Anything East Of Riverhead Area As "hamptons" Even Going As Far As To Say Flanders Is A New Hampton...you Are Better Off In Quogue Tax Wise, And Traffic Wise And Noise Wise As The Hamptons Can Get Pretty Awful On Summer Weekends...good Luck In Your New Home

Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 AM

Thank you for your reply. I just hope I can get used to such a small town.
Do you know anything about the schools there?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
BIG Mosquitos in Quogue, nice straight drive down Sunrise to Patchogue. Best way to get there is LIE Exit 68 (South to the end)
-Joe

Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
Thank you for your reply. I just hope I can get used to such a small town.
Do you know anything about the schools there?
I am not from out there, but go there often and really love it. I will say this, while it is very much a small town, I would say that the the East End of Long Island has more to offer than almost anywhere in the country. Think about it, the semi-rural beauty if it w/ amazing beaches. Mix that with the proximity to the North Fork and all those great wineries. Plus all the shops, restaurants, and culture of NYC. Really amazing if you think about it. You even have things like the outlets in Riverhead and surfing in Montauk.

Good luck. Of course, you don't have to stay there forever, but I really think you're going to love it. I kinda envy you, really, I would love to have a place of my own out there.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Default All sounds so nice

I've looked into it extensively and loving it already.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
I think you'll be more than happy. I wish I could build a house out there!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Yeah, sounds amazing, you are lucky!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,493 times
Quogue has been adopted as a Hampton as it borders on Westhampton's eastern border and is just a bit west of Southampton. Much more of a Hampton than Flanders/Riverhead as they are north and away from the beach. It is very small as are all the towns out there, although Quogue is smaller. It is safe, clean and family oriented.

That being said, there is a huge separation between year round residents and the summer crowd. Families that live in NYC often have summer houses there and while your kids may be of the same age, there is probably a difference in experiences and mentalities that were shaped by those experiences. Prepare for the population to more than triple once Memorial Day hits. I always looked forward to it as the winter was really dead. Many locals dread it though.

Schools are good. Elementary school will be extremely small but good and once they are middle school age, they go to Westhampton Beach which pulls from many towns in the area. WHB is (or at least was for a long time, not sure what has changed, if anything) the better of the lot out that way. Hampton Bays and Southampton are the other schools in the area and considered not as good (or again, weren't when I was there). Watch out for the Quogue PD. 37 in a 35 is a ticketable offense.

All in all, a great place to live and raise a family if you can deal with a very rural life.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times
[quote=very rural life.[/QUOTE]

It really was not close to rural when I lived there 30 years ago. Very nice and quaint as you move towards the ocean, however I find it odd that people want to tack on to the Hampton's myth of whatever that is currently to somehow transpose that (specialness?) by being able to afford to be within reach of what people with real money are obviously able to do financially to make the "Hamptons" ever expanding territory within reach of people not so "Hampton" types who are not so financially able. No problem if that is your dream. I still think in the future Shirley will be ShirleyHampton. And hey Flanders is one of the nicest parts of the East End, I wish I invested there like I wanted to 20 some years ago. Then I could afford a house in Quogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island