Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 PM

126 posts, read 332,238 times

Advertisements

We are looking to settle into a nice community that offers good schools and is a good commute to NYC. I'm researching Lynbrook and Franklin Square as well as Mineola. Was wondering if anyone could offer opinion in terms of which of these towns they'd list as #1, 2 etc. and why?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 73,238 times
You can check out the thread I made just now about Setauket. Theres the Stony Brook train station, which is an 1.5 hours ride to Penn Station in Manhattan. Although I can say that Mineola is a very nice place, as my dad works off Old Country Rd, very kind of industrial town

Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
I don't know your budget, but I would say Lybrook Village or Floral Park Village (I know you didn't ask about FPV but this is what came to my mind hence the suggestion). I would not recommend Mineola, or Franklin Square over the two I mentioned. You will find the most community feel, safety, good schools, and incorporated police departments in the village of Lynbrook or Floral Park (which holds the advantage over FS or Mineola IMO). As for commute to NYC, Floral Park Village (Nassau county side) has the easiest commute to NYC, many homes are walking distance to the LIRR.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Franklin Square wouldn't be as convenient for the LIRR unless you lived in the northern tip of it, where you could walk a sizeable distance to Stewart Manor or Nassau Blvd station.

I agree with Glad to be here, that Floral Park Village, especially the Western section, is also an excellent choice for what you are looking for.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DykeRd View Post
which is an 1.5 hours ride to Penn Station in Manhattan.
If the neighborhoods they're listing are all in western Nassau, don't you think a 1.5 hour ride into the city doesn't fit their criteria?

Anyway, I'd recommend if you're going to live in Nassau, to not live in an incorporated village. But obviously the other posters disagree with me.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM

126 posts, read 332,238 times
what's the reason NOT to live in an incorporated village? I am uneducated about what that means...

Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
what's the reason NOT to live in an incorporated village? I am uneducated about what that means...
Yes, I would love to hear the reasoning on this one. First time I am hearing of this not being a huge plus.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
It's a bizarre statement. There are excellent incorporated villages (Great Neck et al, RVC, Lawrence) and poor ones (Hempstead). There is an additional layer of government and some villages have odd laws. But taxes are no higher. The only issue I could think of is that since villages are small, zoning and planning might get fraught and personal. But I don't think you could make a blanket statement about it. In my entire life that's the first time I've ever heard that. "Don't live in Village X because it's run by 4 old farts and the code enforcement has a stick up its rear", yeah. But all villages? Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island