Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

I think the MLK weekend schedule is purely Helena Williams doing, she is taking the LI Bus mentality to the LIRR now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 AM

11 posts, read 27,993 times
Default lirr and hell... are same

took lirr -huntington line for three years... had to take percocets in order to not find myself in jail. i wasnt designed for 19th century travel. and averaging 50 miles an hour ..for old men and women might be just fine , but for me time is passing much quicker ,need 21st century solution,, kinda like great britian, france, germany, japan, china has. in the year 1900 it took lirr one hour to travel 40 miles..from syosset to penn.. in the year 2009 it takes lirr one hour to travel 40 miles.. cant pay for that. ill take my car average 70 miles hour Get to work much faster Moderator cut: racist remarks

unless of course new york actually upheld the constituional of right to bear arms, then i can protect my self against gangs of minority teenagers, instead only cops and criminals are allowed to carry weopans in new york(DIFF SUBJECT).. so i'll take a pass on the LONG ISLAND RUSTY RAIL.. ya ya ya very angry man... i guess im not a lawyer making $500 an hour living in oyster bay cove..they have nothing to be angery about do they..time passes slowley for them. they take the oyster bay branch, the pearl of the lirr lines.add extra 25 minutes for 18th century rail road performance.

so when the conductor asks next time how is your day you can ignore him or put him the gap.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-05-2009 at 06:07 AM..

Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 AM

61 posts, read 152,779 times
I understand how you feel, I would rather be working trains that go 100 mph. The truth is this society does not take pride in its transportation sytem the way that other countries do. BTW, leave the Conductor out of this, he/she has nothing to do with how you feel and is not at fault.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Default Just a joke, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Sitting at the end of the last car, one time, the engineer-ticket takers were having a "coffee clutch"...one of them exclaimed, "This job is BETTER than High School."

To me that says IT ALL !
Too funny! The engineer at least has a SKILL. The "people who punch holes in little pieces of paper for a living" are the truly pathetic ones and probably the ones who are such greedy slugs they are cheating to go on disability (as publicized in Newsday) because even working a hole puncher is too much for them after awhile. I'd hate to know what they get paid for that. Probably too much and as hotkarl would say a "t*t job." Instead of raising the fares next time why don't they replace them with minimum wage earning developmentally disabled people to work the hole puncher? At least people would get a smile. As it is, they barely have to even be responsible for selling tickets and making change because the LIRR saw fit to raise the penalty for buying a ticket onboard to ridiculous heights. Too bad the fares are different from station to station and they cannot be replaced by Metrocard gates like the subway has.

Perhaps the LIRR should think of an Easy Pass type of system where people have a card that tracks where they get on and where they get off and are charged accordingly. That would save a fortune on salaries to work a hole puncher and disability payments as the Easy Pass thingy does not make disability claims as far as I know.

I went to the laundromat to wash a comforter and even they have a card system where you buy a card and the washers and dryers deduct the prices.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Too funny! The engineer at least has a SKILL. The "people who punch holes in little pieces of paper for a living" are the truly pathetic ones and probably the ones who are such greedy slugs they are cheating to go on disability (as publicized in Newsday) because even working a hole puncher is too much for them after awhile. I'd hate to know what they get paid for that. Probably too much and as hotkarl would say a "t*t job." Instead of raising the fares next time why don't they replace them with minimum wage earning developmentally disabled people to work the hole puncher? At least people would get a smile. As it is, they barely have to even be responsible for selling tickets and making change because the LIRR saw fit to raise the penalty for buying a ticket onboard to ridiculous heights. Too bad the fares are different from station to station and they cannot be replaced by Metrocard gates like the subway has.

Perhaps the LIRR should think of an Easy Pass type of system where people have a card that tracks where they get on and where they get off and are charged accordingly. That would save a fortune on salaries to work a hole puncher and disability payments as the Easy Pass thingy does not make disability claims as far as I know.

I went to the laundromat to wash a comforter and even they have a card system where you buy a card and the washers and dryers deduct the prices.

It varies on the line and the time of the day.

As the the day, goes by, the quality of "ticket taker", gradually diminishes.

I used to take an early morning train home from the City...the last train, by the way...and the ticket taker while a nice guy, he always looked like he just woke up and got out of bed, totally disheveled.

You also, at that time get the SMART guys.

On the same train, I got a replacement worker, who took great pleasure, announcing each stop, AND LOUDLY, though I was the only person in the entire car ! A real WINNER !

I gave him my personal compliments, at the end of the ride !

Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
On the same train, I got a replacement worker, who took great pleasure, announcing each stop, AND LOUDLY, though I was the only person in the entire car ! A real WINNER !

I gave him my personal compliments, at the end of the ride !
I hope it wasn't on one of those trains where there is an automated voice that announces each stop!

Soon there won't be anything left for them to do but for one of them to open the doors at each stop.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
Quote:
I hope it wasn't on one of those trains where there is an automated voice that announces each stop!

Soon there won't be anything left for them to do but for one of them to open the doors at each stop.

It was an old diesel train.

And between a ride-long conversation with his buddy, you could tell that he relished his rude behavior.

I couldn't, technically, fault him for NOT doing "job", but he crossed the line into private amusement and being Just Stupid.

If you call the LIRR complaint phone line, it's like calling the Union Office and getting their Shop Steward.

The LIRR-MTA protect their Moron, Union Employees, vigorously, in anything they do, especially when it's even, technically "wrong" !

Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
It was an old diesel train.

And between a ride-long conversation with his buddy, you could tell that he relished his rude behavior.

I couldn't, technically, fault him for NOT doing "job", but he crossed the line into private amusement and being Just Stupid.

If you call the LIRR complaint phone line, it's like calling the Union Office and getting their Shop Steward.

The LIRR-MTA protect their Moron, Union Employees, vigorously, in anything they do, especially when it's even, technically "wrong" !
If people like that ever have to go take a job in the private sector, they would be in for a very rude awakening!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
If people like that ever have to go take a job in the private sector, they would be in for a very rude awakening!
Amen to that

crooks

Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
you could say that about many other civil servants, but you're right - the money ticket takers get paid compared to what they actually do is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island