Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 AM

126 posts, read 332,271 times

Advertisements

Where I would begin in finding out how I would be able to (legally) buy my mother's house on LI for a certain amount of money (i.e. 250K - assessed at a lot more), putting the house in our name. We are working out an agreement where the house would be in our name and we would buy it outright from her, but she would continue to live there with us (expenses paid).

I assume this happens rather frequently on LI but do not know where to even get started or what's involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 AM

89 posts, read 268,557 times
To answer your question with all these legal matters you have to contact a lawyer to write up the
necessary
paper work to transfer over the ownership of the house Im pretty sure you have to have it legally changed in order for it to be valid.I'm sure you will get more replies but I would call a lawyer i'm sure they can help you or at least point you in the right direction.Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
There will be tax issues so you may want to set up a irravocable trust.

You will need an attorney. I can give you a few names if you need them.

We had done with my mother to protect her assets when she became ill.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 AM

126 posts, read 332,271 times
I'm sorry to hear your mother became ill...did you live in the house with her? We would actually make arrangements that she would move into a certain part of the house and we would take over the majority - but as far as legality - we would buy it outright from her for a predetermined amount.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
I would definitely talk to an attorney. You may not need to buy it for that amount but for much less like $100.00

If your mother has to go into a nursing home for instance, in most cases I have heard about they will make her pay until all her money is gone. I have not had that exact experience and don't live in NY, but my mother had a car in her name. If she sold it, medicare would take that money to pay for towards the nursing home. Just something you need to consider.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
I'm sorry to hear your mother became ill...did you live in the house with her? We would actually make arrangements that she would move into a certain part of the house and we would take over the majority - but as far as legality - we would buy it outright from her for a predetermined amount.
No we did not live with her. It does get tricky though with the taxes and other issues.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 AM

16 posts, read 80,973 times
Find out about a "life estate" via an elder attorney...Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM

75 posts, read 294,116 times
When I sold mortgages just a year ago I used to advise people in your situation to apply for a conventional mortgage at an agreed sales price with a large gift of equity. I don't know if banks do these anymore, but it's worth checking out. You can buy the house for $300,000 with your mom "gifting" you $60,000 in equity (assuming she has it to gift). Then you apply for an 80% loan-to-value conventional mortgage for $220,000. The house has to appraise for $220,000, and you have to prove she's your mother. You get an awseome interest rate, no PMI, and the low mortgage you want. I assume these sort of programs don't exist anymore, but it can't hurt to ask a mortgage broker (a good one!)...

Also, she can just deed the house over to you, and after a year (or less with some lenders), take out a fixed home equity loan (1st position) for the $250,000 she needs. All you really need to do is the legal paperwork and new title/title insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island